Premed 101 Forums

U of Waterloo Class of 2015

champ

• 3 months later...
I wonder if we really find out end of March? The site still says Mid-march. The interviewers said end of march while previous people found out beginning of March.. lol too bad they don't just have an admit day. UW, way to increase the frenzy even more :)

sorry forget to mention I was accepted on march 8th, i believe.

I was accepted in march. In case anyone is curious about my stats..I was in province, I dont think it matters if ur IP or OOP at waterloo since its the only english speaking school in the country.

cgpa was 3.85ish at time of application.

already completed an undergraduate degree.

OAT score was:

400 bio

400 chem

400 orgo

400 physics

330 reading comp

290 QR

total science score was a 400

Overall oat was a 370

I used an old american DAT book to study. The test was very similar to the cdn DAT, minus the perception and carving sections. PM me if you have any other questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I almost forgot about this post... got accepted march 4th :) stats:

Undergrad: Waterloo, biomedical sciences, GPA: 3.9

Degree: Already had one at the time of applying

Experience: Volunteer/research work with optometrist for few months, other various research experience, TA-ship, music, entrepreneur stuff, random sports that were completely irrelevant that I somehow put into application -_- etc.

OAT: 390TS, 380AA

Like above poster, also used an old DAT book (white one) to study, and used my friend's MCAT book for physics section. The math sections in the DAT book is pretty bs though - would advise using another source.

Good luck to all!

• 4 months later...

Hey champ,

I applied this year to Waterloo and Berkeley optometry. I already applied last year to NECO, ICO and SUNNY but deferred my NECO's acceptance till next September cause I want to get my degree first.

My stats

4th year U of T

current GPA 3.9

OAT AA: 380

science average: 400

extra curriculum: Kickboxying and Fitness Instructor, Cyclefit Instructor, TA for organic chem, Calculus and general chem, coordinated campus events

volunteer working in my optometrist clinic for a year and hallf

have received Waterloo interview invitation, still waiting for Berkeley's

Hope this helps :)

CHeers

Laura

Hey champ,

I applied this year to Waterloo and Berkeley optometry. I already applied last year to NECO, ICO and SUNNY but deferred my NECO's acceptance till next September cause I want to get my degree first.

My stats

4th year U of T

current GPA 3.9

OAT AA: 380

science average: 400

extra curriculum: Kickboxying and Fitness Instructor, Cyclefit Instructor, TA for organic chem, Calculus and general chem, coordinated campus events

volunteer working in my optometrist clinic for a year and hallf

have received Waterloo interview invitation, still waiting for Berkeley's

Hope this helps :)

CHeers

Laura

Awesome! you look like a strong candidate. best of luck this year.

I just stumbled into the optometry forum (grrr procrastination), but I'm just wondering, with all your stellar marks, why not apply to medicine or other fields instead?

the "fast fact" section from UWO lists the average optometrist salary to be only ~70-80k (slightly less than a pharmacist)

That's only the "average" income for those living in vancouver.

What is it about looking at people's eyeballs that motivates you to do optometry?

• 1 month later...
Awesome! you look like a strong candidate. best of luck this year.

Hi Champ,

Just finished my interview this Saturday -- brutalized:( didn't expect it to be formal MMI--same as med school

I'm in my final year ( fall and winter semester) and my mark this semester is really bad:( 5 courses in fall and 5 in winter. I'm expecting 3.34 by the end of this Januarary when my fall transcript is out. So if they take into this fall's mark into the final consideration, my overall GPA will drop to 3.82:(((((((((((((

Some family issues are driving me insane this semester and I couldn't focus on study as usual any more. Do you think this fall's mark still matters for their decision?

Thanks so much for replying:)

were you at the interview day ?

Hi Champ,

Just finished my interview this Saturday -- brutalized:( didn't expect it to be formal MMI--same as med school

I'm in my final year ( fall and winter semester) and my mark this semester is really bad:( 5 courses in fall and 5 in winter. I'm expecting 3.34 by the end of this Januarary when my fall transcript is out. So if they take into this fall's mark into the final consideration, my overall GPA will drop to 3.82:(((((((((((((

Some family issues are driving me insane this semester and I couldn't focus on study as usual any more. Do you think this fall's mark still matters for their decision?

Thanks so much for replying:)

were you at the interview day ?

Hi,

I honestly cant tell you what they did. I cant remember the guidlines they sent out after admission. I do know that if you end up with a final cgpa of 3.82 I am sure you will be right smack in the middle of the entering class averages pretty much. I never went into optometry this fall so I wasn't at the interview day. I know there were people accepted with lower averages then that.

Sorry I cant be of more help. Try to get ur gpa up and make sure ur winter term gpa is not a 3.34 again. finals have not happend yet so theres still time for this semester. Just my rule of thumb try not to get below a 3.7.

best of luck

• 4 months later...

Can anyone explain to me if cgpa is different for optom versus med? Does it use OSMAS conversion or can I just directly use my culmulative average in percentage and convert it to cgpa? (I'm at Waterloo and am sitting on a 84.61%). Also do part-time courses in the summer count toward cgpa calculation?

Can anyone explain to me if cgpa is different for optom versus med? Does it use OSMAS conversion or can I just directly use my culmulative average in percentage and convert it to cgpa? (I'm at Waterloo and am sitting on a 84.61%). Also do part-time courses in the summer count toward cgpa calculation?

I think waterloo kids are at a slight disadvantage applying anywhere because their transcript directly states their %, not your letter grade. So if you go to waterloo, you don't have a GPA (GPA is calculated from letter grades).....however i'm not sure if OMSAS will convert your % into their GPA and then reconvert it back into OMSAS % (which is pointless since your % grades are right there on your transcript).

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I think waterloo kids are at a slight disadvantage applying anywhere because their transcript directly states their %, not your letter grade. So if you go to waterloo, you don't have a GPA (GPA is calculated from letter grades).....however i'm not sure if OMSAS will convert your % into their GPA and then reconvert it back into OMSAS % (which is pointless since your % grades are right there on your transcript).

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Not really, Waterloo's % score are all converted into /4.0 OMSAS scale, and that's the final mark. For example you have 100% in a course from Waterloo, it's 4.0/4.0. IF you get 90%, its still 4.0/4.0. If you have 80~84, its 3.7/4.0 and so on. There's no advantage whatsoever for getting % mark because in the end they're all converted into OMSAS GPA... but not sure if this applies to Optom.

Optom just takes your culmative average in percentage as stated on your transcript.

OMSAS takes every single grade and converts it to out of 4, then times the weight of the course, add all together and lastly divide by total number of credits/ weights to get your cGPA.

Optom just takes your culmative average in percentage as stated on your transcript.

OMSAS takes every single grade and converts it to out of 4, then times the weight of the course, add all together and lastly divide by total number of credits/ weights to get your cGPA.

^ He's right.

But the thing is waterloo have % grades on their transcript, therefore no need to use OMSAS as they can calculate the % directly off the transcript.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Man I'm seeing some messed up things in here.

People with 3.9 GPA's w/ all chem, bio, and physics prerequisites, and loads of volunteering - aren't these like near "shoe in for medical school" stats? Christ if I worked that hard I wouldn't settle for anything less than meds.

Though I suppose someone might want to be an Optometrist over an Ophthalmologist...

People with 3.9 GPA's w/ all chem, bio, and physics prerequisites, and loads of volunteering - aren't these like near "shoe in for medical school" stats? Christ if I worked that hard I wouldn't settle for anything less than meds.

Though I suppose someone might want to be an Optometrist over an Ophthalmologist...

agreed

10char

• 2 weeks later...

How is going for optometry equal to "settling for less"? If these highly talented people were to go to medical school, they would face at least another 4 years of school plus at least 2 years of miserable and underpaid residency (I am taking this straight from current resident friends). Life as a doctor is stressful; there is lots of on-call work and long hours weeknights and weekends, and any doctor I've ever talked to about their career told me to stay miles away from med school.

In contrast, every optometrist I've shadowed/talked to has applauded my career choice and motivated me to continue pursuing it. Life as an optometrist can be rough starting out, especially if starting one's own practice. But generally, an optometrist can work comfortable 8-5 days with occasional late nights. Honestly, I would choose optometry over medicine any day. Of course, this does not mean that every doctor is unhappy and that med school isn't worth it. I'm just saying that, going by my experience in job shadowing, optometrists tend to be much happier people than doctors. For some people (like me), optometry is an ultimate dream job, and I'm absolutely confident that being an optometrist will make me 500% happier than being a doctor.

Once again, this is going by MY experiences and viewpoints. I am neither trying to offend anybody, nor wanting to generalize matters. In the end, to each their own. :)

Archived