Premed 101 Forums

So, what do you do if you don't match?

wildcard

Not that it was in any way recommended but our student affairs professor did say that one student didnt' get what they want in the first round and simply withdrew at that point and looped around to following year. The trouble is now everyone knows you didn't get in last year so it is a bit of a bad mark. Still in the case he was referring to the student did get in to their preferred speciality the second time around.

Thanks all for the reply. I guess I should point out that I'm an IMG, so whether its first or second round Canada considers IMGs "second rate" (harsh term, by the way) regardless of merit.

Any thoughts/ideas as to what options are out there to improve my application in the months leading up to the match for next year?

You suck it up and grab any position you can get. Remember, if you match to the second round, you're second rate. Feel lucky that you have a residency position at all.

Extremely harsh and not appropriate brooksbane. If you match to the second round, it does not qualify you as a second-rate individual. Certainly, there are strategies employed during CaRMS which may or may not have worked for the applicant. If they don't work, it's not to say that your application was sub-par, but it could have been due to the stiffness of the competition or employing a strategy which simply didn't work.

Many individuals match to the second round and are still every bit as qualified as their colleagues who match in the first. To say otherwise, is an insult to your future colleagues.

Our main man Ian Wong went unmatched but pulled his socks up, pwned the USMLEs and matched to a top school in the states the year after.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for any specialty for the sake of getting something. Your career is a huuge part of your life. You should make it a good one. If you hate your job, it'd affect other parts of your life too.

wow, i couldn't agree more! i couldn't imagine going through so much school to practice something i didn't enjoy.

Our main man Ian Wong went unmatched but pulled his socks up, pwned the USMLEs and matched to a top school in the states the year after.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for any specialty for the sake of getting something. Your career is a huuge part of your life. You should make it a good one. If you hate your job, it'd affect other parts of your life too.

Jealousy also doesn't get you too far haha. Better to work hard towards your goals rather than have feelings of low self-worth due to the success of others.

I'm not too sure your aim of this comment.

While my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, it's a perfectly valid option. Hundreds of family docs/internists/surgeons have opened cosmetic medicine clinics. I think there is some worth to the idea. If you are going to be forced to do something you hate due to the match, why not try to use the system to your advantage.

I know if I ended up being forced to do something I can't stand, like radiology, most of my goal would be to open some private business/clinics offering private services (US, MRI etc.), so that I could stop doing a job I don't enjoy and retire to some beach in the Carribean somewhere while my company makes my money for me.

Why waste you time doing something you don't want to? If people should have learned one thing in medicine, life sucks, you could drop dead tomorrow, so don't waste the time you have today.

Archived