Premed 101 Forums

studying strategies for BIOLOGY

Boa

I like biology...when it is well taught...meaning that the professor does not assume you read the 50 page chapter of the campbell and know the subject by heart.

I absolutely HATE the campbell...that textbook is thick, heavy, not fun to read...i mean come on there is nothing else more exciting than learning about how our body works, but IMO the campbell just sucked all the fun out of it.

I dont mind using the Campbell to ''complement'' the lecture, but in my university, the professors just ask us to read the whole chapter and get everything right away (umm hello, i didnt enroll to an online class, plus i have other courses than biology).

SO, the purpose of this new thread is to ask you guys, how do you study with the campbell? Do you do it plain ol style and sit for 2 hours straight with a hi lighter or do you have a more efficient strategy to understand most of the chapter?

Thank you for your help,

Boa

I think you should ask your prof what you specifically need to know for the course, ie. learning objectives. I've used the Campbell to supplement and enforce my learning, but most of the learning was done through slides. You should make notes and diagrams to help you out.

If your tests are based on lectures and text, then I don't think you have a choice. University is like that... you can't really do anything about it.
+1 to both of these.

And trust me, Campbell is way better than some bio books out there.

Archived