Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE/USMLE equivalence

afolkl

Hi, I just have a quick question regarding licensing exams in the States and Canada. I know that the Steps I-III are now considered equivalent to MCCQEs 1 and 2, but that you've got to do a "suprevised" year of practice after finishing residency if you go this route. However, my situation is a little different: I'm a Canadian permanent resident at a US school. I'll have taken Steps I and II as part of my school's requirements for graudation, but I'm hoping to return to Canada for residency. What happens if I take Steps I and II, then the MCCQEII? Is that even possible? Or do I have to take the whole sequence (i.e. MCCQE I and II) in order to take MCCQE II?

I'm just hoping to avoid an extra 1,000 dollars in test fees, if at all possible.

Hi, I just have a quick question regarding licensing exams in the States and Canada. I know that the Steps I-III are now considered equivalent to MCCQEs 1 and 2, but that you've got to do a "suprevised" year of practice after finishing residency if you go this route. However, my situation is a little different: I'm a Canadian permanent resident at a US school. I'll have taken Steps I and II as part of my school's requirements for graudation, but I'm hoping to return to Canada for residency. What happens if I take Steps I and II, then the MCCQEII? Is that even possible? Or do I have to take the whole sequence (i.e. MCCQE I and II) in order to take MCCQE II?

I'm just hoping to avoid an extra 1,000 dollars in test fees, if at all possible.

Speaking for Ontario....

Unfortunately, the CPSO changed this in feb 2010 such that you'll need to take MCCQE 1+2 in order to apply for your independant license. You don't need MCCQE to do your residency in Canada but the problem is if you wait until your last year of residency to take them .. then you might find yourself going crazy studying for them.

There is an exception to the above which is if you started residency prior to July 2010 in Ontario .. so for those individuals, USMLE is equivalent to MCCQE.

I'm not familiar with the requirements from other provinces but I know the reason for the CPSO change is cuz they were getting slack from other provinces which didn't consider USMLE equivalent to MCCQE for independant licensing.

As far as I am aware, you need to take both MCCQE parts 1 + 2 in order to obtain the LMCC. You can't do half USMLE and half MCCQE to get it.

Honestly, I would finish off both series. The extra cost is a pain, but in the grand scheme of things, considering how much you've already paid into your medical education in terms of both time and money, it's pretty minimal.

Speaking as someone who did med school in Canada, residency in the US, fellowship in Canada, and is now working in Canada, doing both the US and Canadian exams concurrently was a very smart move.

Getting my provincial licensure from both BC and now Saskatchewan (where I'm doing some locums work) was extremely straight-forward since I had all of the test results available.

The material in the exams has enough overlap that if you are studying for one, you should be covering a lot of the material for the other (applies mainly to Steps 2 and 3 compared with MCCQE parts 1 and 2).

Ian

Speaking for Ontario....

I'm at an American medical school now and I'll be applying to Canadian and American residency programs this year. Having already gone through this process do you have any tips and suggestions for people trying to get back to Cananda?

The material in the exams has enough overlap that if you are studying for one, you should be covering a lot of the material for the other (applies mainly to Steps 2 and 3 compared with MCCQE parts 1 and 2).

Ian

So I should do MCCQE 1 when I so STEP 2?

Archived