Premed 101 Forums

MMI Format

Drakoulias

This will be my first interview, so I'm wondering if anyone has more details about the mechanics of the MMI at McGill. The invite letter only has one line mentioning "task-oriented, simulation- or scenario-oriented, or discussion-oriented" stations. Beyond that, does McGill give any more information or guidance?

For instance, if we were presented with some kind of ethical scenario, would we be expected to talk for 8 minutes straight? Or would the interviewer have prompts or engage in a discussion with us?

I assume that anyone who has done the interview before wouldn't be able to divulge specific questions, but more information about how stations work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats on the interview!! You don't need to talk for 8 minutes straight. But many stations I barely completed in 8 minutes or didn't fully complete. There can be a lot to discuss. I think 8 minutes is actually just perfect for the length. I did have one experience when I was done in 4 minutes. That's quite okay too so long as you've said everything - it was awkward waiting it out for 3 minutes though.

I think they have a pretty good feeling of whatever they're trying to evaluate after 4 minutes though so I wasn't particularily worried about not fully completing what I wanted to say.

As the name describes, you'll be "discussing" something with the actor/evaluator, or interacting with an actor. The other persons were quite interactive, listened carefully to what I said and were involved in my responses.

McGill's MMI was an exhausting experience but I had so much fun. They're really good. I hope this helps. Sorry I can't ellaborate much more.

Archived