Premed 101 Forums

Severe concussion from auto accident - how long does it take to fully recover?

future_doc

Guys, hypothetically let's say somebody, as pedestrian, is struck by a car and suffers a severe concussion, is hospitalized, unconscious at first, then suffers from headaches, fatigue, weakness.

Does anybody have first hand experience or knowledge (from family members, friends or patients) of how long the process of recovery takes, what the stages are, how it is likely to affect a student's progress during a semester?

Any information you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guys, hypothetically let's say somebody, as pedestrian, is struck by a car and suffers a severe concussion, is hospitalized, unconscious at first, then suffers from headaches, fatigue, weakness.

Does anybody have first hand experience or knowledge (from family members, friends or patients) of how long the process of recovery takes, what the stages are, how it is likely to affect a student's progress during a semester?

Any information you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think there's any set duration for concussion recovery, and I base this only on evidence from the National Hockey League. It can be within a week or as long as months

This exactly.

With concussions it's really hard to telll how long it takes. It depends on tons of other factors (ie number of previous concussions- the more you have had, generally speaking the longer you're out. One girl I skated with had about 8 or so within a year- by the last one she was out for I think 3 or so months) and how hard the head actually hit.

One girl I skate with now just recently had one. She was out for "1 week after symptoms stopped". So for her it was about 2.5 weeks. She's only in junior high/high school and as far as I know, she was able to keep up fine with classes and things. However, that's junior high/high school and not university.

The best thing for whomever this happened to is to really take it easy (physical exertion wise) and I'm sure the doctors would have discussed whether or not attending school (or when they should go back) is a good idea. If not, I'd give the doc a call just to get an idea. But to my knowledge, with concussions, it's really an up-in-the-air timetable; it's really how the person feels and what they feel they're cabable of doing.

One of our esteemed members, less than a week ago, as a pedestrian, was hit by a car ansd is now in hospital. Reading week is com' up, to be followed by hell week.

This hospitalized member has a history of academic excellence and therefore, despite the concussion and symptons, continues ot have the highest academic expectations for this semester.

I created this thread so that there would be views such as those above and hopefully, the injured member will have greater perspective and realism with respect to expectations for this semester. I fully expect this member to read this thread and comments can only be helpful.

I have shared my views with the injured member and given advice that the expectations for the usual stellar acadmeic perfomance this semester may not be realistic although possible. Accordningly, I have said that the strategy should be to go for a pass and a stellar performace, if it happens, will be gravy.

My concern is that with fatigue and weakness, going for a stellar performace risks draining one's coginitve batteries too early that could jeopardize other studies that will be required; and thus, I have recommended another study stretegy be employed for this semester. So, all views are welcome and will be considered by our member patient whom we wish a full and speedy recovery,

Thank you and keep your replies coming.

One of our esteemed members, less than a week ago, as a pedestrian, was hit by a car ansd is now in hospital. Reading week is com' up, to be followed by hell week.

This hospitalized member has a history of academic excellence and therefore, despite the concussion and symptons, continues ot have the highest academic expectations for this semester.

Gosh, sorry to hear that. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Concussions are followed up with kind of a ladder/step by step process. You start off with very little physical AND MENTAL activity. The a few days later you increase it a little bit. You look for this big laundry list of symptoms/signs. If they occur, you go back to the previous step for a few days. This goes on until you reach full health.

The biggest thing is it's not only physicial rest, it's also MENTAL rest. That means not studying, not going to school, not doing tests etc. While someone may be keen to get back to school, it may not be benificial, just like the hockey player returning to hockey to early.

If someone suffered a concussion the physician really needs to have a talk about the recovery process with them. If the patient is unclear, I would advise them to follow up with the physician as to the path of action.

On a side note, here is a good Macleans article on concussions. The paper version actually outlines the general treatment plans.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/02/04/the-damage-done/

Would suggest contacting the university as soon as possible for documenting the concussion and working out any accommodations that may be required.

Touché.

This could be classified as a temporary disability and accommodations could be made.

Keep good records, and contact the disabilities office at the school.

Archived