Premed 101 Forums

post MMI thoughts (no contents about MMI here)

I think I know which one you're talking about, since there's really only 2 to choose from (that threw people off).

Which track were you in (or which colour were you grouped with)?

Yellow.

Or shall I say, Jaune.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard about their essay question for the Sunday people. All I have to say is lol wtf were they thinking? They were either deliberately messing with applicants or they were out to lunch.

I can understand testing how applicants think and write under pressure, but pick a topic most people can write about. At least half of them wouldn't have known even the definitions to some key terms in that question, let alone knowing enough about the topic to write an intelligible essay. Maybe they somehow forgot that their applicants were science students who didn't necessarily take any interest in the essay topic.

I heard about their essay question for the Sunday people. All I have to say is lol wtf were they thinking? They were either deliberately messing with applicants or they were out to lunch.

I can understand testing how applicants think and write under pressure, but pick a topic most people can write about. At least half of them wouldn't have known even the definitions to some key terms in that question, let alone knowing enough about the topic to write an intelligible essay. Maybe they somehow forgot that their applicants were science students who didn't necessarily take any interest in the essay topic.

Or perhaps they embraced it. You know how much they love diversity.

That said, I was on Sunday and didn't find the essay question to be that difficult in terms of word choice. I figure you should know, and have ideas about that "policy" (without giving away too much), if you have are Canadian and follow the news to any extent.

Maybe you are talking about a different question, though I somehow doubt it since they told us not to mark up the question page for the next group.

Or perhaps they embraced it. You know how much they love diversity.

That said, I was on Sunday and didn't find the essay question to be that difficult in terms of word choice. I figure you should know, and have ideas about that "policy" (without giving away too much), if you have are Canadian and follow the news to any extent.

Maybe you are talking about a different question, though I somehow doubt it since they told us not to mark up the question page for the next group.

Of course diversity is important, but people shouldn't be punished for a lack of interest in a specific area. (And it'd be simple to fix. Just give the option to choose between two topics.)

The main topic is fine, but a lot of people have misconceptions about the definitions in the quotes. The vast majority of students can easily mix up some terms in there.

Hey

hope everyone who interviewed did well

How did you guys think about the interview?

I thought the prompts were too long that in some stations I didn't have time to organize my thoughts. And I'm not quite sure what to make out of the essay, because I felt like the description of the essay on U of C site and the actual essay questions were quite different from each other.

Plus I also liked my interview guides. They were awesome! The student body were really friendly and the videos were hilarious too :) Go Aye Ayes!

Anyways, glad to be done with

Just curious, do all applicants get the same questions for verbal and essay?

I agree completely with the first poster. I found almost all of the MMI stations to be excessively long. I also expected a rest station in the middle of MMI. 90 minutes of non stop talking, without pause to regroup was less than optimal. I was also quite disappointed in the topics chosen for the stations. I never felt that I had the opportunity to say anything meaningful...

And the essay question. Again I was disappointed and surprised by the essay topic. I thought the sample questions used in 2008 were good and interesting, with a bit of data to analyze, something structured to write about etc. But the essay we had (Saturday)? Did people get different essay questions?

I felt confident going in, regarding clinical and medical ethic situations, writing ability. Now I just feel depressed and unsure of my chances. And Calgary was my first choice.

However beyond the interview process, everyone I met in Calgary was super nice. Very positive and laid back vibe, felt like I would fit in well there. Video made by the med students was very funny. I love the layout of the 3 year program and early clinical exposure. But now?! Will be a long ten weeks waiting.

I agree completely with the first poster. I found almost all of the MMI stations to be excessively long. I also expected a rest station in the middle of MMI. 90 minutes of non stop talking, without pause to regroup was less than optimal. I was also quite disappointed in the topics chosen for the stations. I never felt that I had the opportunity to say anything meaningful...

And the essay question. Again I was disappointed and surprised by the essay topic. I thought the sample questions used in 2008 were good and interesting, with a bit of data to analyze, something structured to write about etc. But the essay we had (Saturday)? Did people get different essay questions?

I felt confident going in, regarding clinical and medical ethic situations, writing ability. Now I just feel depressed and unsure of my chances. And Calgary was my first choice.

However beyond the interview process, everyone I met in Calgary was super nice. Very positive and laid back vibe, felt like I would fit in well there. Video made by the med students was very funny. I love the layout of the 3 year program and early clinical exposure. But now?! Will be a long ten weeks waiting.

+1. The essay topic was boring. I also liked the medical case/research data practice question - at least it was thought provoking and interesting. Oh well... can't have your cake and eat it too.

I thought the topic was fine. I'm not sure how someone wouldn't be able to create a definition for what we were supposed to be writing about (since there was really only 1 key term). Were there different essay topics for the different groups?

Relax mate :) remember, we all had to do 90 minutes of non-stop talking and were all equally tired at the end, we all (aside from a few exceptions who have problems with science by corollary) have a science background and were all kind of unfamiliar with some of the questions. Pretty sure every time slot had questions that came out of left field, because they wanted to see how we responded.

Chill out, don't worry. You probably did better than you think; it's natural to second guess after the fact.

I agree. That essay topic was definitely one that would have been easier for some than others. I think that though it probably succeeded in testing our ability to consider and integrate information, it also set people on an unequal footing. The quality of one's content would largely depend on one's prior knowledge of the topic.

... we all (aside from a few exceptions who have problems with science by corollary) have a science background ...

I have to say, I'm a little offended by this. It's like saying people with math backgrounds are necessarily poor writers, or bad at sports. I'm sure you didn't mean to be insulting, but I believe that we all have all of the strengths necessary for a career in medicine, or we wouldn't have made it this far.

I have to say, I'm a little offended by this. It's like saying people with math backgrounds are necessarily poor writers, or bad at sports. I'm sure you didn't mean to be insulting, but I believe that we all have all of the strengths necessary for a career in medicine, or we wouldn't have made it this far.

Woah, slow down. All I am saying is that someone with a non-science background is going to, by definition, lack the background for the more common scientific MMI questions just as someone with a science background is going to generally lack the background for non-science questions. I'm not talking about innate talents, I'm talking about what we have learned in school.

And if someone with a theatre degree can compete with someone with a biochemistry degree on science topics, then more power to them. I'm sure they reached that stage through hard work, not some kind of favouritism in the question system.

I found that the MMI scenarios were really long, but that there was a lot of detail put in that wasn't necessarily relevant to my answer. I thought you could grab on to the information you thought was important...and create a super duper personaly tailored answer.

Also, I found that a few times where there really long scenarios, I went into the room and asked for a second to gather my thoughts and the interviewers eagerly encouraged me to do so. They said "Hey take as long as you need to think, no pressure". I thought it made it more comfortable and welcoming, but maybe not everyone had those experiences??

Also also, about this magical station that everyone hated...we have to remember that we are not expected to come to the interview with experience in specific areas, if you just answered the questions honestly without stressing out, how could you go wrong??

I was just wondering if everyone got their pre-interview scores as calculated by the U of C? I know Dr. Walker mentioned those who did not interview were notified of their scores but I was wondering if the same thing is sent to those who did? Thanks :)

I was just wondering if everyone got their pre-interview scores as calculated by the U of C? I know Dr. Walker mentioned those who did not interview were notified of their scores but I was wondering if the same thing is sent to those who did? Thanks :)

Don't think they send it until you get rejected. So be happy you don't know your score and hope that you never find out. lol

Don't think they send it until you get rejected. So be happy you don't know your score and hope that you never find out. lol

Huh. I was under the impression our pre-interview scores were released some time this month, but I honestly don't remember where I got that idea, so I could be wrong. Does anyone else remember hearing that?

Personally I'd really like to know my pre-interview score, as it will strongly affect how likely we are to get in, regardless of how we fared on the interview. It would be good to be able to do a little calculation of the odds... what I do this summer is heavily dependent on whether I get in or not and I feel pretty blind right now.

Huh. I was under the impression our pre-interview scores were released some time this month, but I honestly don't remember where I got that idea, so I could be wrong. Does anyone else remember hearing that?

Personally I'd really like to know my pre-interview score, as it will strongly affect how likely we are to get in, regardless of how we fared on the interview. It would be good to be able to do a little calculation of the odds... what I do this summer is heavily dependent on whether I get in or not and I feel pretty blind right now.

I have a friend who got in to U of C last year (and not off the WL, he got in straight away) and he showed me his full score breakdown.

And Erk, I think we're all a little blind when it comes to the summer/next year, hahaha.

I have a friend who got in to U of C last year (and not off the WL, he got in straight away) and he showed me his full score breakdown.

And Erk, I think we're all a little blind when it comes to the summer/next year, hahaha.

I posted on the mdadmissions blog about it, and about another question.

The other one was,

I’m a bit curious if the pre-interview scores will be weighted and spread across the bellcurve presented by the interviewees. For example, would a 70.78 score pre-interview count as 0/40 post-interview because it is at the very lowest end of the cut off? Or is it simply scored as 28/40 (0.7078 x 40) and no interviewee ever has lower than 28 on that section?

Anyway, no matter how it's all calculated and if we get the scores we're flying blind, but I'm in a bit of a pickle because my MSC is finishing up and I will have just a short time between that and the start of the school year if I get in.... I don't want to start a lab job and then back out immediately, but I don't want to waste my summer if I don't get in. I figure if I got, like, a 71 on my pre-interview I'm going to go ahead and assume I'll be spending next year in a lab, and get a job according to that. If I have a mid-range pre-interview or better I might be more confident and take something temporary that's out of my field :)

But yeah, I know... we're all totally in the dark. I wish it wasn't so frakkin' long before we hear back. /sigh/

I posted on the mdadmissions blog about it, and about another question.

The other one was,

Anyway, no matter how it's all calculated and if we get the scores we're flying blind, but I'm in a bit of a pickle because my MSC is finishing up and I will have just a short time between that and the start of the school year if I get in.... I don't want to start a lab job and then back out immediately, but I don't want to waste my summer if I don't get in. I figure I got, like, a 71 on my pre-interview I'm going to go ahead and assume I'll be spending next year in a lab, and get a job according to that. If I have a mid-range pre-interview or better I might be more confident and take something temporary that's out of my field :)

But yeah, I know... we're all totally in the dark. I wish it wasn't so frakkin' long before we hear back. /sigh/

Even if you have a "low" pre-interview score, isn't the interview worth like 60%?? I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to plan for the worst, but still, who knows what will happen!

Archived