Premed 101 Forums

post MMI thoughts (no contents about MMI here)

Hey

hope everyone who interviewed did well

How did you guys think about the interview?

I thought the prompts were too long that in some stations I didn't have time to organize my thoughts. And I'm not quite sure what to make out of the essay, because I felt like the description of the essay on U of C site and the actual essay questions were quite different from each other.

Plus I also liked my interview guides. They were awesome! The student body were really friendly and the videos were hilarious too :) Go Aye Ayes!

Anyways, glad to be done with

Just curious, do all applicants get the same questions for verbal and essay?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed the interview day! Calgary seems to have a very friendly environment but also a good school.. Currently one to my top choices :)

The prompts were definitely longer than I expected but I didn't really mind. I found having more information provided allowed me to include more information in my response.

Yeah we had only got 30 minutes for the 8am today. I checked my computer, watch, and phone. They messed up for sure and it was kind of stupid.

But otherwise I had a great time!

I'm kinda surprised nobody said anything when he called time...

Agreed! It wasn't 40 minutes and came as a shock when he suddenly said to stop writing! I didn't see them write '3 minutes remaining' on the board, it seemed like that was the only indication whatsoever that we were going to cut off. I hope we aren't compared to applicants who had the expected experience. Other than that, the day was really well done.

I wasn't too pleased at the length of prompts. Also one prompt threw pretty much everyone in my group off (10AM Sunday).

Pretty sure there's always supposed to be a prompt that throws you off. We had one too, 10am sat.

Did anybody feel that some assessors interrupted to ask the prompt questions even before you finished the response?

I thought that was a bit unexpected and made me feel like I was doing something wrong. I was under the impression that they only ask the prompt questions after you are done with your response.

I had one interviewer that did that, but it was apparent I think that she thought I was already on that track and was just encouraging me, she interjected conversationally rather than interrupting. I did hear that there were one or two more aggressive assessors though; one track in our timeslot had an assessor who apparently kept interrupting the interviewees and telling them that their strategies wouldn't work! Perhaps someone who had this assessor could give more information (it was on the prompt about the postdoc who had an unpleasant surprise for her summer student)

Pretty sure there's always supposed to be a prompt that throws you off. We had one too, 10am sat.

I had one interviewer that did that, but it was apparent I think that she thought I was already on that track and was just encouraging me, she interjected conversationally rather than interrupting. I did hear that there were one or two more aggressive assessors though; one track in our timeslot had an assessor who apparently kept interrupting the interviewees and telling them that their strategies wouldn't work! Perhaps someone who had this assessor could give more information (it was on the prompt about the postdoc who had an unpleasant surprise for her summer student)

Hey Erk,

were you in track 10?

Hey Guys,

I used my watch, not the computer time, and we got 40 min. (Sunday 8am)

The start time they wrote on the board (1128) was incorrect, and that is why it seemed like only 30 min. I would have liked a verbal warning at approx 5 min before the end though, I didn't even notice when they wrote "3 min remaining"!

My take on getting probe questions with little time remaining is: "it ain't over till its over". Sure, you won't be able to formulate a complete response, but until the bell rings they should give you an opportunity to respond however you can. Otherwise, what would the cutoff be? "I'm sorry, I could ask you a question that may help you, but with only 45 seconds left I'm sure you won't be able to respond properly, so let's just stare awkwardly at each other" :)

Hey everyone, I was in group 10 on saturday 10am and yes the one station did seem very different from the others.

It wasn't bad, but it did feel like I was interrupted often and as if the prompts were being made up on the fly. In fact even one of my group leaders said it sounded like the interviewer was doing most of the talking for all of us lol.

So I am curious if others groups felt that there was one interviewer in their track that also acted dramatically different from the others. I forgot to mention it on my survey afterwards, but now wish I had just in case the interviewer wasn't a "plant". We were told before that they wouldn't deviate from the script, but that didn't seem to be the case for this station....

In my first station, my interviewer talked to me quite a bit, and for me it was nice for him to get rid of awkwardness and get into my zone, which I really liked.

In one station, one lady interrupted me and asked "so what if (person in the scenario) asks you to do it?", which confused me, but I still answered. Turns out that she didn't have any prompt questions. From her demeanor, she seemed like she wasn't a staff at U of C.

I did not have an evaluation sheet with me on my desk so I didn't leave these comments. And I didn't make any issue out of this because I don't think the interviewers' behaviors significantly affected my performance. I ignored any reactions they had and simply focused on delivering my message. Overall, I liked the school and hopefully I did well enough to get in!!!!

Fingers crossed x

I did not have an evaluation sheet with me on my desk so I didn't leave these comments. And I didn't make any issue out of this because I don't think the interviewers' behaviors significantly affected my performance. I ignored any reactions they had and simply focused on delivering my message. Overall, I liked the school and hopefully I did well enough to get in!!!!

Fingers crossed x

Yeah I basically felt the same way. And now hearing that a lot of other people seemed to have an interviewer with an interesting style I'm a lot more relaxed and also glad that I didn't mention it on the evaluation form.

It just seemed hard with the interruptions to flesh out my reasoning (and I did run out of time), but I just tried to keep my composure. And the funny part is that one time I was interrupted I actually laughed a little just cause it had happened so many times already and then the interviewer started laughing a bit too. So I'm pretty sure he was having a bit of fun with us. And overall I really did enjoy the verbal MMIs!

I thought that the MMIs were super fun!

There was one lady that didn't nod or smile. Although it threw me off a bit, i think that it went okay. The rest of the interviewers were great. I loved the fact that they were all different ages, genders etc - it felt like you were just going about your day talking to real people about hypothetical situations. And Dr. Walker's speech prior to MMIs was definitely something I needed. Ayeayes were amazing - they even clapped to all of us as we were walking out of the essay room (I felt like crying).

Anyway, no matter the outcome on May 13th, I am happy that I had the opportunity to be a part of such an invigorating experience. I love UofC.

;)

I thought the prompts were kind of long, but definitely manageable. My written portion was a little shorter than the maximum they allowed as well.

To be honest, I really enjoyed the interview. My experience was kind of exact opposite of what they said it was going to be though. It might be the order of the questions that I had, but I felt my first station was my strongest (wasn't nervous at all and smiled the entire time) and a few of the stations near the end were a bit tougher, especially that "unique question" we are all mentioning.

PS: gotta give mad props to the Aye Ayes, they definitely made my day. I gotta admit, when I made my OMSAS and UofC accounts last year, U of C was my last choice for med school, but now if I get accepted in May, I'm probably be leaving Ontario and coming to Calgary haha.

I wasn't too pleased at the length of prompts. Also one prompt threw pretty much everyone in my group off (10AM Sunday).
I think I know which one you're talking about, since there's really only 2 to choose from (that threw people off).

Which track were you in (or which colour were you grouped with)?

To be honest I'm really distraught about the whole thing. There was one station that really baffled me, and now I'm afraid that I won't be able to become a doctor because I never took a specific type of non-science class that could have helped me for that station. I know that it's important to be well-rounded, but I felt at a disadvantage for being a science-geek.

I know what you are talking about, and I am in the same boat with you.

Archived