Premed 101 Forums

The Official May 13 Countdown Thread

This might sound strange, but does anyone here NOT want this to be over? What I mean is right now you're in a position of either being accepted or not, you are IN the application cycle. This time next week, for many of us, it could be over (read rejected) all the effort, the anticipation, plannning, dreaming over!

Many might say that it is time to move on, but what if that means giving up on your dream of med. I know a number of people here (myself included) relied on the 10-year rule. With it being gone, for me it means a much less competitive application next year...so for people like me, this might be it.

Honestly, although I want to know, I like being here in the present!!

Now if that's not crazy, I don't know what is!!

I do feel the same way... being in the application cycle is a cool thing. It's stressful, but it's like schrodingers cat... we are neither accepted nor rejected so we are both... until May 13th. At which point the scientist will peer into the box and reveal that we are in fact not a cat, but a human... sitting on the computer waiting to see if UBC likes us.

Whatever happens will happen, and couldn't happen any other way. That's one of the great life lessons I took from Morpheus... yes, I referenced The Matrix and Schrodingers cat in the same post... it's official. I'm a geek.

For those of us that aren't accepted/waitlisted some introspection will probably be required... perhaps retooling the plan given the recent changes may be in order... either way, the next step in the path will unfold in about 88 hours.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This might sound strange, but does anyone here NOT want this to be over? What I mean is right now you're in a position of either being accepted or not, you are IN the application cycle. This time next week, for many of us, it could be over (read rejected) all the effort, the anticipation, plannning, dreaming over!

Many might say that it is time to move on, but what if that means giving up on your dream of med. I know a number of people here (myself included) relied on the 10-year rule. With it being gone, for me it means a much less competitive application next year...so for people like me, this might be it.

That is exactly how I felt right before interview notifications, sfuguy. :)

I do feel the same way... being in the application cycle is a cool thing. It's stressful, but it's like schrodingers cat... we are neither accepted nor rejected so we are both... until May 13th. At which point the scientist will peer into the box and reveal that we are in fact not a cat, but a human... sitting on the computer waiting to see if UBC likes us.

I think you need to start a new thread, hking- "Schrodinger's Cat and Medschool"

Agreed. As someone going through this wait for the THIRD time, I know firsthand what it's like to wait and wait and then when the day finally comes ....nothing! (or, WL like last year, but still ultimately nothing) It's like waking up Christmas morning to find that Santa missed your house and you have to wait until next Christmas to hope he gets your address right.

Best of luck to everyone waiting - hang in there!!! ;)

Agreed. As someone going through this wait for the THIRD time, I know firsthand what it's like to wait and wait and then when the day finally comes ....nothing! (or, WL like last year, but still ultimately nothing) It's like waking up Christmas morning to find that Santa missed your house and you have to wait until next Christmas to hope he gets your address right.

same here 4th app, 2 waitlists!!! good luck to everyone!!

same here 4th app, 2 waitlists!!! good luck to everyone!!

Wow. Both of you deserve some serious props for your perseverance. I really hope both of you get in and that's not just because I'm also from SFU ;)

I think you need to start a new thread, hking- "Schrodinger's Cat and Medschool"

hking got that from me, I posted it earlier in this thread:

True :) I just don't like this quantum existence, Schrodinger's app.

:) I want credit for it, I thought I was pretty clever!

Similar to all interviewed hopefulls, I have been following this countdown thread for some time now. As we are getting closer to decision day I think it would useful for us to share some coping strategies (coping with rejection!!!). I am sure that senior posters or people who have been rejected before have some insight that could help everyone else. :) So share them people :).

I personally think that I should just remain greatful for receiving an interview and try not to over analyze everything. Ultimately, if I am rejected I really want to get away from vancouver for couple of days. Why, you must ask. Well, because friends and family will keep on asking me whether or not I was accepted and it just SUcks to deal with that.

CheerS

Similar to all interviewed hopefulls, I have been following this countdown thread for some time now. As we are getting closer to decision day I think it would useful for us to share some coping strategies (coping with rejection!!!). I am sure that senior posters or people who have been rejected before have some insight that could help everyone else. :) So share them people :).

I personally think that I should just remain greatful for receiving an interview and try not to over analyze everything. Ultimately, if I am rejected I really want to get away from vancouver for couple of days. Why, you must ask. Well, because friends and family will keep on asking me whether or not I was accepted and it just SUcks to deal with that.

CheerS

I wrote a little bit about being rejected in one of my blogs: http://secretlifeofapremed.blogspot.com/2011/05/ontario-acceptanceswaitlist.html

Honestly, being rejected is not the end of the world. You pick yourself up, you brush off your shoulders, and be thankful you got to where you did. Perseverance is an amazing virtue, and at the end of the day, you will be so happy that you stuck with it. I know of one person who wanted to be a patent lawyer. He did his law school education, received high marks, but wanted to specialize in this field. He applied over 180 times to various companies!! He had to do this, even with a law degree! And he never gave up. And now, he is doing his dream job. One, two, three rejections. It means nothing. But it will sure mean a lot at the end of the day when you have been accepted and know you have succeeded in acquiring your dream.

Hopeful that everyone will hear good news though! Crossing my fingers for you all.

I wrote a little bit about being rejected in one of my blogs: http://secretlifeofapremed.blogspot.com/2011/05/ontario-acceptanceswaitlist.html

Honestly, being rejected is not the end of the world. You pick yourself up, you brush off your shoulders, and be thankful you got to where you did. Perseverance is an amazing virtue, and at the end of the day, you will be so happy that you stuck with it. I know of one person who wanted to be a patent lawyer. He did his law school education, received high marks, but wanted to specialize in this field. He applied over 180 times to various companies!! He had to do this, even with a law degree! And he never gave up. And now, he is doing his dream job. One, two, three rejections. It means nothing. But it will sure mean a lot at the end of the day when you have been accepted and know you have succeeded in acquiring your dream.

Hopeful that everyone will hear good news though! Crossing my fingers for you all.

I just wrote a post about the hypothetical "regrets" letter...

As for the patent laywer... did your friend do his/her undergrad in engineering? I've got a friend who wants to do patent law, just finished his second year of law school and he said that in order to do patent law, or have a shot at it, you should do your schooling in engineering or a similar field. Just wondering if your friend followed that path?

I just wrote a post about the hypothetical "regrets" letter...

As for the patent laywer... did your friend do his/her undergrad in engineering? I've got a friend who wants to do patent law, just finished his second year of law school and he said that in order to do patent law, or have a shot at it, you should do your schooling in engineering or a similar field. Just wondering if your friend followed that path?

He is from the states, and I do not know what he took for undergrad to be honest. But I do not believe it was engineering, which is probably one of the reasons he had such a difficult time.

My bf also wants to be a patent lawyer, his undergrad is biochem. We have been trying to research the best ways of getting there (patent law). I know biochem is different from engineering, but still, we are hoping for the best. Step 1 = figuring out what he wants.

ps looking forward to reading your post! Clicks on *medrunner* link...

Edit - really great post! Must have taken you a fair bit of time. I definitely think it is important to read. Being rejected is not just a 5 minute session to ball your eyes out. It takes a lot of effort to realize what your next step forward should be.

I still can't believe they chose a Friday the 13th to release the results. Any thoughts on this? I mean, I'm not superstitious or anything, but I just find it a little strange that they would pick that day! I guess the only good thing is that for those of us that get rejected, we can blame it on bad luck! :P

I still can't believe they chose a Friday the 13th to release the results. Any thoughts on this? I mean, I'm not superstitious or anything, but I just find it a little strange that they would pick that day! I guess the only good thing is that for those of us that get rejected, we can blame it on bad luck! :P

Most likely just coincidence. But I like to be dramatic and assume it was intentional... and zat zay are all evil... muahaha.

I haven't really done much for work today or yesterday.. this week is pretty nerve-wracking!

My dad must have just figured out that the 13th was a Friday, because on the weekend he was freaking out that the results were on THAT DAY. It was pretty funny.

Just submitted my grad school application and I can honestly say I am excited for my plan B. For those of you who were asking advice from those of us who have experienced and coped with rejection, that's my biggest coping strategy, and it worked for me last year. Here's the sfu.project 3 step program for rejects:

1. Make real plans that you are truly excited for. This year I am planning to begin my PhD in September after taking August off to enjoy the summer.

2. Spend as much mental time as possible looking forward to those plans and the least amount of time possible thinking about getting into med. This is difficult, but try ;-) Even if your plan B is to apply again, then spend time thinking about how your app will be better this year and planning how you're going to get a few more volunteer hours this summer or something.

3. Decisions come out - either you can still look forward to the plans you made or your plans are all shot to s**t because YOU JUST GOT IN!!!

I guess it's kind of reverse psychology....anyways, it worked for me. The first time I applied I was devastated to get the "regrets" e-mail and just spent the morning scream-crying on my couch and asking myself how in the world I was going to tell people I was such a failure. Last year I very calmly accepted my semi-regrets e-mail and went on with my summer/September plans. This year - we shall see I guess.

For me it's easier than for some since I know this is the last time I'm applying and a rejection will at least be a final decision. 3 more days of living the dream for me - not looking forward to facing reality on Friday the 13th ;-)

For me it's easier than for some since I know this is the last time I'm applying and a rejection will at least be a final decision. 3 more days of living the dream for me - not looking forward to facing reality on Friday the 13th ;-)

This your last time, why?

This your last time, why?

It's the limit of my patience, I think. I have played the game - re-written my MCAT, finished a second degree, volunteered here, done volunteer research abroad, improved my references, practiced my interview and have now had 3 shots at it....basically, I am not improving as an applicant beyond where I am now and to me it's just not worth going through this any more times. Now, that's just me - med is my dream but I am almost as excited for grad school and a career in research and I'm tired of waiting to move into the final phase of my education - on with the plans, whichever ones happen to work out. :P

Archived