Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist

smokingbird

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I am also a waitlisted OOP.....

Hoping all the ones who are accepted decline McGill for an Ontario school!

How do we find out if we get a spot? How long do you think it will take?

I'm a waitlisted OOP applicant.

Any other waitlisted OOPs out there?

so who else is thinking of turning down McGill for an Ontario school? what are the pros and cons. I just got into U of T and Queens.

Hey! I also got into McGill, Queens and U of T

Presonally, an Ontario school will definitely be my first choice for several reasons.

I have spoken to residents who completed their MDs at McGill and UOttawa/UofT and if I recall properly they explained the contrast of getting your MD in Ontario or Quebec. Ontario hospitals are much better equipped and funded and environments are not as stressfull as in Quebec. Senior residents are unlikely to treat you harshly due to stress and the environment to learn is much friendlier. Students/ residents are provided with the latest technological equipment unlike quebec.

Usually schools prefer their students during matching for residency. So if u complete ure MD at McGill chances of you getting ure first choice in Ontario are not the best let alone getting ure first choice in McGill hospitals.

Another point to consider is payment. Doctors in Ontario are paid much better and the differences compared to quebec are significant. Everybody knows in quebec doctors are underpaid. Also, if u don’t speak French that well, you shouldn’t worry about “different treatment” in Quebec. Its 4 years of MD and residency we are talking about, a life career that is going be stressful, one might need to take all factors into consideration to make it as enjoyable and satisfying as possible. Search for what you want and see what suits you!!

Hope that helps and congrats to all!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waitlisted for premed... I can't wait to have the same announcement as you OOP people!

So, like all of you - probably - I'm trying to figure out what are my chances. About 200 people were interviewed, 82 are accepted, and I know that some were refused. That leaves 118 refused or waitlisted... Anyway, I'm going crazy about this. Hope it will all resolve itself soon - even if its just to find out that the waitlist is or is not moving, it feels like McGill does not want to share any of that info with us.. :(

Crossing my fingers for all! :)

I'm waitlisted for premed... I can't wait to have the same announcement as you OOP people!

So, like all of you - probably - I'm trying to figure out what are my chances. About 200 people were interviewed, 82 are accepted, and I know that some were refused. That leaves 118 refused or waitlisted... Anyway, I'm going crazy about this. Hope it will all resolve itself soon - even if its just to find out that the waitlist is or is not moving, it feels like McGill does not want to share any of that info with us.. :(

Crossing my fingers for all! :)

I know what you mean!:o

When is the deadline for those who were accepted first shot? Would that mean that 63 is the final number of people who accepted their offer?

Probably not unfortunately. I suppose that the deadline is like any other program: June 1st. Can someone confirm this:D ?

I think for this year (well... last year), there's at least 15 people who got in after being waitlisted so I shouldn't worry! :)

I'd say, give a call to the Admission Office if you didn't move a few days after June 1st.

Although we don't know our rankings... but thanks anyway for the kind thoughts!

I have a question for the Med-P waitlist. Does the waitlist still move a bit (by a bit I mean 5-6 students) after June 1st? I know that at Laval, Montreal and Sherby the waitlist changes quite a lot even after the deadline.

And does anyone have an idea of how many people were refused/ or how many people are on the waitlist?

Archived