1. 1. I am voting for:

• Libs
    • Cons
    • NDP
    • Bloc
    • Greens
    • Whigs
    • Nobody/Other

For those of you that want a quick breakdown on who to vote for, what everyone stands for etc on major issues.. check out this link:

platforms.jpg?w=940&h=1824

I am not too politically inclined (I know a lot more about American politics than I do about Canadian.. how sad is that?!), but after reading this quick summary of all the party platforms, NDP looks like a good bet!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those of you that want a quick breakdown on who to vote for, what everyone stands for etc on major issues.. check out this link:

platforms.jpg?w=940&h=1824

I am not too politically inclined (I know a lot more about American politics than I do about Canadian.. how sad is that?!), but after reading this quick summary of all the party platforms, NDP looks like a good bet!

i don't enjoy talking about politics because many people (including myself) can sometimes be a little petulent in their defence... but...

reading those only reaffirms my belief that my political views are sound.

I did the same thing. My Liberal MP is a pretty strong candidate who easily won the last couple Federal elections. Despite being a political junky, I have heard and seen absolutely nothing from the NDP candidate (who I suspect entered the campaign believing she was basically no more than a placeholder name on the ballott for traditional NDP supporters to check off). Signs on private lawns are overwhelmingly Liberal and Conservative. I could see no evidence that my riding was more than a two way race.
Sounds exactly like my riding.

Don't forget to vote today (if you haven't already).

I did the same thing. My Liberal MP is a pretty strong candidate who easily won the last couple Federal elections. Despite being a political junky, I have heard and seen absolutely nothing from the NDP candidate (who I suspect entered the campaign believing she was basically no more than a placeholder name on the ballott for traditional NDP supporters to check off). Signs on private lawns are overwhelmingly Liberal and Conservative. I could see no evidence that my riding was more than a two way race.

Yeah, I don't even know the name of the NDP candidate in my riding (and I'm a big time political junky). They just hardly have a presence for me to vote for them. I'm just really dissapointed in the lack of new ideas coming out of the Liberal party... I hope this election really, really shakes them up. They need fresh blood.

that's my riding, the liberal candidate is 20 year old community college student...

voted conservative.

deal with it lefties :cool:

It's your prerogative. I have good friends voting conservative.

I think it's an incredibly ill-advised vote, but to paraphrase Voltaire: I may not agree with the decision you've made, but I'll fight to the death for your right to make it.

Sadly, most conservatives I've debated with do not feel the same way about "lefties", or rather, anyone but fellow conservatives. I realise they are not in the majority.

I think it's an incredibly ill-advised vote, but to paraphrase Voltaire: I may not agree with the decision you've made, but I'll fight to the death for your right to make it.

Sadly, most conservatives I've debated with do not feel the same way about "lefties", or rather, anyone but fellow conservatives. I realise they are not in the majority.

My partner/bf/husband is voting conservative. :eek:

I am not.

My partner/bf/husband is voting conservative. :eek:

I am not.

;) NNNNnooooOOooo!! Please tell me you are not in Saanich/Gulf Islands riding!

Thankfully my wife and I tend to agree on political points. If anything she's more in line with our vote than I am; I'm voting Green because I trust our local candidate's judgment and loyalty to our riding, not so much because I like their party policy. I think Jen would vote Green no matter who was the candidate.

I think the conservatives are going to win like 140 seats which will prompt Harper to announce his retirement after a leadership race in his party.

Prediction: Slightly stronger/weaker (± 2-4 seats) Conservative minority government. NDP opposition. Liberals don't lose as many seats as thought, though.

Two things could happen at the Throne speech: The Conservatives will lay out their legislative plan (the already widely circulated 2011/2012 Next Phase of the Canadian Economic Action Plan) and the NDP/Liberals will vote it down or the NDP will support it given that the Conservatives' budget does have a few items that the NDP would've supported.

If the NDP/Liberals vote it down, the Governor General will either have to call another election or give Layton a shot at forming a government with marginal Liberal support.

I'm really holding out hope for the Layton as PM option.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to add that the remaining Liberals in parliament could support the Conservative legislative plan and prevent another election/a NDP led government.

EDIT #2: Definite leadership reviews for the CPC and LPC.

Prediction: Slightly stronger/weaker (± 2-4 seats) Conservative minority government. NDP opposition. Liberals don't lose as many seats as thought, though.

Two things could happen at the Throne speech: The Conservatives will lay out their legislative plan (the already widely circulated 2011/2012 Next Phase of the Canadian Economic Action Plan) and the NDP/Liberals will vote it down or the NDP will support it given that the Conservatives' budget does have a few items that the NDP would've supported.

If the NDP/Liberals vote it down, the Governor General will either have to call another election or give Layton a shot at forming a government with marginal Liberal support.

I'm really holding out hope for the Layton as PM option.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to add that the remaining Liberals in parliament could support the Conservative legislative plan and prevent another election/a NDP led government.

I fully support this prediction.

And Para D, I am such an important signalling pathway that it really boggles the mind more people don't listen to me.

As an humorous aside, the lab I'm currently graduating out of has a branch of research studying ERK1/2. I did not know this when I joined. It confuses the heck out of me when those people start talking about getting ERK antibodies or needing more ERK. (ok, that last one doesn't confuse me. Who doesn't need more Erk?)

So, has everyone gone out and voted? I did this morning. It was easy :)

Can anyone tell me when the results are going to be released? Voting closes at 7PM PST, so sometime after then I'm assuming?

Technically, at 7pm PST they're allowed to start releasing the results (so you'll get a ton at that point because Ont/Que/Maritimes voted hours before that).

Although if you watch your local station (not CTV or anything, but like your local local station), you might be able to see results from your area sooner.

Or, sometimes they have it on the internet sooner too (even though it's not allowed to be).

Technically, at 7pm PST they're allowed to start releasing the results (so you'll get a ton at that point because Ont/Que/Maritimes voted hours before that).

Although if you watch your local station (not CTV or anything, but like your local local station), you might be able to see results from your area sooner.

Or, sometimes they have it on the internet sooner too (even though it's not allowed to be).

If you don't have a TV, the live show will begin at 10 PM EST on cbc.ca

Also, keep close tabs on #elxn41 and #CDNpoli on Twitter.

Thanks cnb88 for clearing that up for me :)

P.S. there was a "rhinoceros" party in my riding.

;) NNNNnooooOOooo!! Please tell me you are not in Saanich/Gulf Islands riding!

Thankfully my wife and I tend to agree on political points. If anything she's more in line with our vote than I am; I'm voting Green because I trust our local candidate's judgment and loyalty to our riding, not so much because I like their party policy. I think Jen would vote Green no matter who was the candidate.

We're not in Saanich! Thank goodness!

I am surprised at his vote, he's voted NDP, Green, Lib, Cons in the past. At this point it just drives home that we're different people in our outlook on life. I've been trying to convince him that the NDP plan for small businesses is better (we have a small business) but I think I've failed.

We're not in Saanich! Thank goodness!

I am surprised at his vote, he's voted NDP, Green, Lib, Cons in the past. At this point it just drives home that we're different people in our outlook on life. I've been trying to convince him that the NDP plan for small businesses is better (we have a small business) but I think I've failed.

kyla, the ndp's plan for everything else though... is what you should consider... not just their small business plan.

kyla, the ndp's plan for everything else though... is what you should consider... not just their small business plan.

To be honest the small business plan is not my main voting concern, but it should be his, and that's why I brought it up to him.

John is voting based solely on the gun registry. That is why he is voting conservative.

I have no idea what I am doing with him at this point. /drama!

Erk- I think a while back you staed that you would never vote conservative on principle, and I feel the same way. I am so different, politically, from my parents that I have trouble voting for the same party they are. I've voted Lib, green, NDP in the past, but will be voting NDP today by default.

to paraphrase my play on voltaire, i don't respect your opinion, and will fight to death against the decision you made ;)

Archived