• NDP
    • Bloc
    • Greens
    • Whigs
    • Nobody/Other

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's your prerogative. I have good friends voting conservative.

I think it's an incredibly ill-advised vote, but to paraphrase Voltaire: I may not agree with the decision you've made, but I'll fight to the death for your right to make it.

Sadly, most conservatives I've debated with do not feel the same way about "lefties", or rather, anyone but fellow conservatives. I realise they are not in the majority.

I think there are people of all political stripes like that. For instance, as someone with mostly conservative inclinations (fiscally anyway) my impression has always been that many individuals on the left are the same way, even though I realize there are many open minded liberals. What we really need to do is try to understand each others view points rather than fight about them as if they are the one and only truth. Recently I've come around to some more leftist ways of thinking (I really have to make an effort!), and if only the politicians we elect would do this we might have some proper government. This is why I am hoping for a minority government of some sort. When they actually cooperate they seem to represent the desires of the populace quite well.

I think there are people of all political stripes like that. For instance, as someone with mostly conservative inclinations (fiscally anyway).

You must be screwed for voting. Not a single party in Canada is fiscally conservative.

Two things could happen at the Throne speech: The Conservatives will lay out their legislative plan (the already widely circulated 2011/2012 Next Phase of the Canadian Economic Action Plan) and the NDP/Liberals will vote it down or the NDP will support it given that the Conservatives' budget does have a few items that the NDP would've supported.

Another possibility is that the Libs and NDP vote against it, but several members of one of those parties are told to not show up for the vote by the party leader.

If the NDP/Liberals vote it down, the Governor General will either have to call another election or give Layton a shot at forming a government with marginal Liberal support.

I believe if the throne speech is voted down the GG is obligated to ask the other leaders if they can gain the support of the house. Once the throne speech passes it is an entirely different and much more complicated matter in terms of the opposition parties trying to form a government.

Results streaming in. Looking like a Con minority, NDP opposition. The liberals and bq have been blasted into the stone age. Right now I think the cons may have lost a seat or two but nothing serious.

Interesting times. If this result holds I can't say I'm surprised, but I would have liked it differently.

Results streaming in. Looking like a Con minority, NDP opposition. The liberals and bq have been blasted into the stone age. Right now I think the cons may have lost a seat or two but nothing serious.

Interesting times. If this result holds I can't say I'm surprised, but I would have liked it differently.

Huh looks like a CPC majority.

Huh looks like a CPC majority.

Yep, that result came in before the West voted unanimously conservative.

I haven't ever felt such shame for my country. I will be spending as much time as I can trying to push for electoral reform, so that this doesn't happen again.

(and if I'd been old enough to know what was going on when Chretien did the same with less than 40% of the vote, I'd probably have felt similarly, before anyone asks. Minus the contempt.)

Wewt, congrats to all the cons supporters :D I think this poll is hilarious though 32% vs 27% Cons vs Liberals then it became 54% vs 11% goes to show the age gap and the difference it makes.

Im surprised the NDP did so well though, good for them!

Overall, I'm happy about the results. The ndp opposition will be interesting to see... The conservative majority will be a good thing for Canada as a whole.

My main concern is the fact that the ndp at the end of the day relied heavily on the idea of spending money that we don't have. I'd be curious to see what would have happened had they been elected majority... I wonder if they would actually follow through with their platform promises.

Overall, I'm happy about the results. The ndp opposition will be interesting to see... The conservative majority will be a good thing for Canada as a whole.

My main concern is the fact that the ndp at the end of the day relied heavily on the idea of spending money that we don't have. I'd be curious to see what would have happened had they been elected majority... I wonder if they would actually follow through with their platform promises.

do u even read the news? the conservatives are the most irresponsible spenders, g20/g8, the f-35s etc at the same time lowering the corporate tax rate which is already low. meanwhile, the npd wouldve raised the corporate tax rate and spend the money on social services that benefits ordinary canadians.

do u even read the news? the conservatives are the most irresponsible spenders, g20/g8, the f-35s etc at the same time lowering the corporate tax rate which is already low. meanwhile, the npd wouldve raised the corporate tax rate and spend the money on social services that benefits ordinary canadians.

+1

Gotta love those tax (cut) and (over) spend tories...

It's okay, just put it on our tab. :rolleyes:

Archived