1. 1. I am voting for:

• Libs
    • Cons
    • NDP
    • Bloc
    • Greens
    • Whigs
    • Nobody/Other

do u even read the news? the conservatives are the most irresponsible spenders, g20/g8, the f-35s etc at the same time lowering the corporate tax rate which is already low. meanwhile, the npd wouldve raised the corporate tax rate and spend the money on social services that benefits ordinary canadians.

Yeah I loved that our media seemed to ignore the tens of billions that the Conservatives will cost us. The parliamentary budget secretary reports that the Cons tough/stupid on crime policy will cost an extra 5.5 billion a year. The Cons didn't mention it...the media gave them a free pass. Expect cuts to social programs 4 years down the road to be far greater than you can imagine. But on a positive note we will have copied the stupidest crime policy in history at the same time as the US is moving away from it.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1

Gotta love those tax (cut) and (over) spend tories...

It's okay, just put it on our tab. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we're going to pay for this eventually. The Conservatives are too good at spreading the myth that they're frugal. The reality is that they are penny-wise and pound-foolish (well, they're not even penny-wise!).

Interesting. Wonder how long til we become a 2-party system, like the US - the left could benefit from it, by the looks of it.

Wasn't too concerned with the results of this election. Having lived in the US, Canadian Conservatives seem pretty mellow to me. I may not agree with them on certain things, but I don't get the same paralyzing fear of the country plunging into the Dark Ages as I do when I hear the words "Republican" and "GOP." I don't think the average Joe is really that affected by who's in power - if something becomes a truly major issue, enough unrest from the people will cause the government to act upon it regardless of which party is in power.

I have never heard anyone say that before. I think that statement sums up the entirety of why conservatives are in power. Smart.

+2

Totally agree with Emma and medisforme. That's exactly why I can support the Conservatives :D

do u even read the news? the conservatives are the most irresponsible spenders, g20/g8, the f-35s etc at the same time lowering the corporate tax rate which is already low. meanwhile, the npd wouldve raised the corporate tax rate and spend the money on social services that benefits ordinary canadians.

Nope.

I've never read the news in my entire life.

This is why I dislike talking about politics. Some dude on a premed forum thinks that I'm uneducated or locked up in a bunker because my view is different than his.

Moving on.

+1

Gotta love those tax (cut) and (over) spend tories...

It's okay, just put it on our tab. :rolleyes:

Well in fairness, the majority of their supporters are Boomers or older. They'll all be long dead when it comes time to pay it off.

Well, aren't we lucky? :P

Yep. It's we who get to pay off this tab. Cool.

That is, if the conservative denialist attitude to climate change doesn't manage to have us all dead before we get a chance. That's probably giving them too much credit, though.

Congratulations, Canada. A lot of my patriotism died this morning. Canada, the land where contempt means nothing and secrecy is rewarded.

Bye bye research funding... bye bye health care system... bye bye women's rights... bye bye life...

Time to pack bags and move out of this friggin' country...

Where do you want to move to lol?

It's going to be hard to find a more liberal country than Canada

Ughh, while I could let the Cons economic policies slide (they're probably even beneficial for someone like myself), there's now zero chance of any drug liberalization over the next four years. Great. The Cons really have their heads in their ass when it comes to crime.

Where do you want to move to lol?

It's going to be hard to find a more liberal country than Canada

Are you kidding? Most of northern europe is both more liberal and more economically stable than we are. And not kicked out of UN councils on climate change repeatedly.

I'm thinking of new zealand, though. It's not the right-wingedness that disturbs me, I'm quite centrist. It's the majority election with lack of public support, and lack of transparency. They have finished their electoral reform and have excellent government transparency.

we are proud to govern canada with the mandate of the people, well 39 percent of you, anyways; 20 percent if we don't count alberta, good thing thing they still take 80's politics in to play when they're voting, i like that way of thinking, but i digress.

my friend jack, i had 30 percent more votes than him, but that's about 66 percent more seats, right? i never was all that good at math anyways, i did flunk out of school, that's when i was working on that economic action plan!

i'd really like to thank the liberals for helping me win the past 3 elections, paul martin, a man who speaks worse english than the separatist leader, and a delusional fellow who thinks he's running for chair of the history department at harvard... you guys have really given me some soft competition, and i want to thank for that.

Are you kidding? Most of northeastern europe is both more liberal and more economically stable than we are. And not kicked out of UN councils on climate change repeatedly.

I'm thinking of new zealand, though. It's not the right-wingedness that disturbs me, I'm quite centrist. It's the majority election with lack of public support, and lack of transparency. They have finished their electoral reform and have excellent government transparency.

maybe he's never been to western europe?

actually immigrated to Canada from Europe 6 years ago. Lived there my whole life.

The Scandinavian countries are indeed pretty liberal but there is a trend of moving to the right as is the rest of Europe. Other than the north I really don't see how Canada is less liberal.

That was expected as soon as the picture began to emerge last night.

It's a shame he lost his seat. The guy is genuinely very smart. He may not have been great leader material (wasn't aggressive enough, didn't blindly attack other parties positions etc.), but he would have been an asset to any government.

I'd argue Canada is less liberal, but we're definitely one of the most liberal places to live in the world, if we compare ourselves to the general international community rather than the select few most liberal countries on earth.

actually immigrated to Canada from Europe 6 years ago. Lived there my whole life.

The Scandinavian countries are indeed pretty liberal but there is a trend of moving to the right as is the rest of Europe. Other than the north I really don't see how Canada is less liberal.

A few things that surprised me: Conservatives getting a majority (by a bit), the NDP getting over 100 seats, and the Liberals losing as many "stronghold" seats as they did. But I'm not totally surprised at the eastern vote split. It made for an interesting election though.

It's a shame he lost his seat. The guy is genuinely very smart. He may not have been great leader material (wasn't aggressive enough, didn't blindly attack other parties positions etc.), but he would have been an asset to any government.

Whether he was a good leader or not, the Liberals could select Superman as their next leader and the Conservative attack machine would convince 80% of Canadians that he is Clark Kent. With the end of the subsidies this will be even worse next time.

Archived