Premed 101 Forums

How much time to read "Doing Right?"

p0o9

Hey everyone,

I have an interview coming up three weeks from now (which I wasn't completely expecting) and I was just wondering how much time does it usually take for one to go through the book (that is, "Doing Right: A Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians" by Philip Hebert)

Thanks!

thanks for the responses,

I'm bit of a slow reader, but I already have a clue of the big lines-- actually, I asked this bc I have 8-10 midterms/presentations, etc. coming up and I was trying to see how I could time manage the whole thing without burning out :)

Just as an aside, how useful do you guys think this book is for prep. for MMI's?

Reading =/= absorbing and understanding. That's what I found out while I was trying to cram it. I'd personally read it at a pace of 1 chapter per day, if I could do it over again.

It would help a ton for the MMI. I wish I read it before I did mine.

i read it in 3 sittings. You don't really need to seriously absorb all of the nuances in his writing. Reading the cases and just seeing the different approaches he takes will definitely give you enough insight to take with you into your interview.

I want to agree with repede that reading the book is not that same as really understanding his approach to ethics. I found it really useful to read it a little bit at a time, then talk to my friends about the cases that I found interesting/challenging. I would often just bring a case up at dinner in the cafeteria or after class walking with a friend, and it would spark great debate and conversation, and would often contribute new perspectives/dimensions (especially when I was talking with friends in non-science/ pre-medical programs).

Isn't it wrong that everyone reads the same book. It would obviously make people think the same way and give similar answers in some sort of way.

If you read the book though, it doesn't tell you what to do in a given situation, it just tells you what aspects of an issue need to be considered in order to make a careful decision.

Isn't it wrong that everyone reads the same book. It would obviously make people think the same way and give similar answers in some sort of way.
Along with what gb35 mentioned, lots of people may read the book, but they don't all use the info the same way. Some people read it to learn about ethics. Some use it to strengthen their base ideas, and some use it as a refresher of things they already know. It doesn't mean everyone will get the same thing out of it or have the same answers.

Archived