Premed 101 Forums

No More Backpacks! :(

lol, nah. You actually had a well-reasoned argument and I agree.

To me, what the backpack represents can be replaced with an acceptance letter. Basically, it's "I made it into med school" not "I am a med student" and yes, there is a difference in those two statements. I need a new backpack, so that would be nice too, but it the backpacks aren't given this year, I won't be disappointed.

So you're saying we should just staple our acceptance letter on to our non-MD financial backpack? That could work!!

haha, jokes

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah, use 2b deadmau5 and house, lol

Ok. I thought I would have noticed... I am less of a t&s fanboy than I was in my college days, but they still rock. So, by corollary, so do you.

I think you should start a blog and post your stories there and your deficient conclusion form them tehre...since that's all you seem to do and no one cares about your personal experiences and what you and your friends concluded from them. oooh and next time you are writing a paperor doing research, fill it up with personal stories and draw conclusions from them. I'm sure you will get A+.

Why the animosity dude? I've posted numerous times here in agreement with people who have pointed out why it's no big deal, and the discussion here has done a good job of changing my mind as I pointed out in the very post you quoted. Also in that post I mentioned that it was a "story", in so many words. Did you read it?

Pretty sure I haven't said anything that attacks anyone, so please share the courtesy and don't attack me, eh? Cheers.

I did. I'm done med school. I'm LMCC studying and procrastinating, hence all the borderline trolling I'm doing haha. ;)

Haha, congrats. I was procrastinating starting year 2 comp study, while trying to hide the screen from my girlfriend so I didn't get in $hit for "wasting my time arguing with people on the internet again"... :D

Pretty sure I haven't said anything that attacks anyone, so please share the courtesy and don't attack me, eh? Cheers.

Well, it may not have been entirely clear - when you wrote that "everyone on campus" thinks that med students who use the backpack are "douchey" and "flaunting" their status - that you just wanted to alert people to how the backpack might be construed by others. If similar judgments are not made about student lawyers, accountants, engineers, or other groups who may publicly display their future occupational status (wearing their class t-shirts, or putting on events like Engineering Week), it does raise the question of why someone might choose to criticize medical students in particular. Is a person who wears a university hoodie in public insensitive to those who may not have had the opportunity to pursue higher education?

It's funny, people in other faculties on campus tend to project a higher status on medical students and treat them differently, but inside the hospital, a medical student (especially a preclinical one) is considered somewhere between the high school student volunteer and all other paid staff in usefulness. There's a difference between being discreet and humble, versus trying to evade questions about what we studied when we first got into medical school for fear of how others would react (which surely created an odd impression on others as well). Eventually we made our peace with it as we grew into our roles.

Terrible news guys. I talked to an advisor at MD Financial today and apparently there won't be any med backpacks next year. Too much concern amongst faculty about sponsorship and ethics violations. Really sucks that this years incoming class has to go without. Maybe we could organize a group-buy amongst ourselves?

Sponsorship? My gf's med backpack from this year has nothing on it except the CMA and QMA (McGill) logos. Sad I was really hoping to get one cuz that would mean some great news lol

Group buy! HAHA! So funny, paying to do publicity for the CMA... Seriously, those bags were junk, lasted me a whole 6 months, and I agree they look a little douchy, but they can spark up conversation at the airport (has happened with nice residents from Mac). Not having those bags though isn't a big loss...

Maxime

Well, it may not have been entirely clear
Reasonable enough for the terms you quoted, but the post I was referring to was a later one where I'd been trying to repent my less diplomatic stuff from much earlier.
It's funny, people in other faculties on campus tend to project a higher status on medical students and treat them differently
Actually that's a really good point. I wonder why (or if, quantitatively) med students get extra judgment... I know plenty of jerky, arrogant engineers (and plenty of fun nice ones) and I would imagine it's the same with law school, although I don't know anyone who goes to or has gone to law school. Why do medical students get more flak? I'd argue that out of all three, med students are the ones most likely to be going into their field with the goal of helping others instead of financial/social success.

Maybe that perceived altruism (I realise it's not even remotely universal in practice) leads to people assuming med students are 'holier than thou'? I'm very curious and puzzled by it now that you've pointed it out.

MD Physician Services, the Canadian Medical Association and the Provincial/Territorial Medical Associations will be distributing the free backpacks to all first year students as we have for over the past 10 years.

Only University of Ottawa students will not be receiving backpacks.

We will be posting dates and locations of backpack distribution once they have been confirmed.

MD Physician Services, the Canadian Medical Association and the Provincial/Territorial Medical Associations will be distributing the free backpacks to all first year students as we have for over the past 10 years.

Only University of Ottawa students will not be receiving backpacks.

We will be posting dates and locations of backpack distribution once they have been confirmed.

Thanks for the clarification.

So, one question has been answered. Next up: What colour will the backpacks be?

I'm actually pretty impressed that an April fool's joke about backpacks generated 7 pages of discussion.

ETA: Oops. They didn't quite make April fool's day. The response was still quite surprising/impressive. And we can't know if the OP was trolling or actually got some wrong information anyway.

I don't see how they lasted you 6 months. Were you living on the street? I routinely see 3rd and 4th years with their bags in very good condition. And mine is in almost perfect condition after a year.

Entering class of 2004 had many defective bags. The shoulder strap ripped after a few months.

I'd really like to see some black, or dark navy blue bags. The bright red and bright blue ones really don't do it for me. I'll obviously take any free bag I'm given, but so far I've only really "liked" this year's out of the one's I've seen. I guess those green ones aren't too bad either.

I'd really like to see some black, or dark navy blue bags. The bright red and bright blue ones really don't do it for me. I'll obviously take any free bag I'm given, but so far I've only really "liked" this year's out of the one's I've seen. I guess those green ones aren't too bad either.
I doubt they'll be navy blue. That was the colour 5 years ago, iirc.

Archived