Premed 101 Forums

Failures from UBC Med

Hey guys, I'm not talking about pre-med failed courses or anything. I want to know if anyone here knows of someone who failed med school.. just flat out kicked out. If you do, or if you happen to be someone that has, and can share the reasoning to why it happened please do so, so those of us who are lucky enough to get accepted can learn from the other persons mistakes! If you guys have stories of failed courses, those work too! I think it's mildly therapeutic knowing that all of us have failed at one point or another in our lives at something.. whether its pre medschool or during med school or post-med school.

A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of mine had failed one course during the December exams barely by a percent or two (in 2nd year medicine). After failing the course in the winter, he/she was offered a remedial exam at the end of the year (June/July?) to repeat the exam.

What I've heard of these repeat attempts though is that the exams are actually harder than the first, and they require a higher passing grade (i.e. 60 or 70% vs 50% for pass).

Anyway, this said person failed the remedial attempt (and apparently he/she was not alone in this) and has to repeat the ENTIRE 2nd year again.. paying 16,000$ in tuition and going through all the lectures again, writing all the exams again.. you get the picture..

:eek:

From what I understand they don't want students to fail out.

It's different in the Caribbean though. This dude from the states had a blog about med school... Then he failed out. Now it's about what he is going to do next.

Statistically speaking we probably don't have too many straight failed out of med school as I seem to remember seeing something like 95% make it through without an issue. So you may not get any action on this thread.

There were a few med students in my year that failed 2nd year. One guy failed a few blocks and had remedials, but unfortunately, he was not able to pass them. I think part of the reason for his failure was that there was no way he could cram in such a short while for remedials. Those blocks had a lot of information and it takes time to review and retain them.

Hey guys, I'm not talking about pre-med failed courses or anything. I want to know if anyone here knows of someone who failed med school.. just flat out kicked out. If you do, or if you happen to be someone that has, and can share the reasoning to why it happened please do so, so those of us who are lucky enough to get accepted can learn from the other persons mistakes! If you guys have stories of failed courses, those work too! I think it's mildly therapeutic knowing that all of us have failed at one point or another in our lives at something.. whether its pre medschool or during med school or post-med school.

A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of mine had failed one course during the December exams barely by a percent or two (in 2nd year medicine). After failing the course in the winter, he/she was offered a remedial exam at the end of the year (June/July?) to repeat the exam.

What I've heard of these repeat attempts though is that the exams are actually harder than the first, and they require a higher passing grade (i.e. 60 or 70% vs 50% for pass).

Anyway, this said person failed the remedial attempt (and apparently he/she was not alone in this) and has to repeat the ENTIRE 2nd year again.. paying 16,000$ in tuition and going through all the lectures again, writing all the exams again.. you get the picture..

• 2 weeks later...

a few get held back every year. happens every year.

even when you do MCCQE part 1, the exam at the end of 4th year, a few fail that too (although they still let you do ur thing as a resident).

so short answer yes, people do fail in med school.

from what i know i think 1 person QUIT after he failed. but he's probably got different reasons for it.

I think that may have been my sister's year. If it is that guy, then it is because his original career was a 6-figure salary one and after first year, he realized it wasn't worth his time.

a few get held back every year. happens every year.

even when you do MCCQE part 1, the exam at the end of 4th year, a few fail that too (although they still let you do ur thing as a resident).

so short answer yes, people do fail in med school.

from what i know i think 1 person QUIT after he failed. but he's probably got different reasons for it.

I think they do everything in their power to keep you there once you're in.

Hmmmm, interesting statement. Here in the US, all exams are multiple choice USMLE style questions and the passing grade is 75%. About 5-10% of the class fail each course and failing several courses leads to the axe dropped on you. They couldn't care less if you get kicked out. Must be nice to be at UBC.

Hmmmm, interesting statement. Here in the US, all exams are multiple choice USMLE style questions and the passing grade is 75%. About 5-10% of the class fail each course and failing several courses leads to the axe dropped on you. They couldn't care less if you get kicked out. Must be nice to be at UBC.

It's the same at all Canadian med schools.

Canadian medical schools are insanely difficult to get into. The selection progress is so stringent, in fact, that it is very unlikely that an unsuitable student would squeak through. In other words, if you can get in, you are quite smart, and very, very good at "school work" - you've already proved that you have the "right stuff". There is (by and large) no reason that you should fail out of medical school.

The other factor is that the med schools in Canada aren't producing surplus students (as in the Caribbean schools); they want everyone they take into the program to get through it, else they've wasted money and a medical school spot on training someone who's never going to be useful to them.

So knowing that 1) the student is a good student and 2) we aren't yet producing too many doctors, the medical schools in Canada go out of their way to help students who are struggling to get it together and move forward. (That's not to say they just pity-pass you, you've still got to do the work, but they will really give you a lot of help. You may have to repeat a year, and graduate a year later, but the vast majority of medical students will make it through.)

Very few people get kicked out of medical school for academic reasons. During the preclerkship years, you get to write remedial if you fail the final exams. If you fail again, you would have to repeat the year.

During clerkship, you have end-of-rotation exams. If you fail the exam first time, you get to write again and nothing goes on the record. If you fail the second time, you have to write the remedial and that is on the record. I am not sure what might happen if you fail the third time.

People who usually got kicked out of medical school are related to professionalism. For example, two medical students from one of the eastern schools got kicked out because they thought it was fun to hang two cadavers up during Halloween. For cases less extreme, you are sometimes asked to repeat a year.

Very few people get kicked out of medical school for academic reasons. During the preclerkship years, you get to write remedial if you fail the final exams. If you fail again, you would have to repeat the year.

During clerkship, you have end-of-rotation exams. If you fail the exam first time, you get to write again and nothing goes on the record. If you fail the second time, you have to write the remedial and that is on the record. I am not sure what might happen if you fail the third time.

People who usually got kicked out of medical school are related to professionalism. For example, two medical students from one of the eastern schools got kicked out because they thought it was fun to hang two cadavers up during Halloween. For cases less extreme, you are sometimes asked to repeat a year.

W..T..F... that makes me want track them down and beat them in the face :mad: I always treated my cadaver with the utmost respect and got pissed off at people who left her out to dry...

Know a guy from my school who failed 2 courses in first year and had to repeat the whole year... 45k US... He failed the first course by a bit, and he failed the second course because he took a week off and went to Las Vegas... When asked if it was worth it.. he said something to the effect *what a week in Vegas, I'll always remember it"...

It's painful to hear that there are people like this who both get into medical school and then squander it and treat it so lightly. There are so many of us on here who are working so freakin hard to get in, and to hear about people who take up spots and then throw them away for maybe a couple cheap laughs(and I doubt they did, and really hope they did not get any laughs) is very maddening. I love practical jokes and having a good time, but hanging up cadavers, the bodies of someone's child, someone's spouse, someone's friend for halloween? I think they should be criminally charged as well as kicked out of medical school.

Sorry, i know this somewhat sidetracks the thread but I got really pissed and wanted to externalize my thoughts.

Back on topic, it's nice to know that most students that are accepted perform well and that so much support is given to ensure students make it through.

i wrote a summer exam because my computer final screwed up and didn't save my answers, honestly, if u can't pass a re-medial after 3 months to study for it you should have to do the year over (i know someone that did, they studied for the exam for 2 days, i studied for a month... but sorry, sometimes you have to be held accountable, unless there are extenuating circumstances)

they do! pay for 1500 dollar comprehensive exams to check for learning disabilities, they will pay for private instructors to plan a learning plan for you (continually), they pay for courses in exam anxiety, how to write exams, will let you re-write if you fail an exam.

if you fail out it's usually do to psychiatric problems, professionalism issues, personal dissatisfaction with medicine leading to apathy etc. and not with ability

your success is their success! they want you to be successful

I think they do everything in their power to keep you there once you're in.

Lots of great replies here- I too am shocked about the cadaver incident and I would expect those students would be the exception rather than the rule. Then again, we do hear of people who have displayed pretty serious unprofessional behaviour in their personal life who get in. I guess as long as it's kept separate from professional life it won't affect an application, but it becomes diffuct=ult to separate the two at a point.

I did audibly gasp when I read that, though.

Citation??

Sorry for the lack of references:)

It was a story from Dr. Vogl, one of the anatomy instructors. He gave us a lecture during the orientation week before our first dissection.

I agree with all the previous posts that it is a lot of trust that is given to us by the donors and their families.

In an Asian country where students get into medical school right after high school, there was a higher incidence of cadaver mistreatment. One summer project for the students are to interview the families of their cadaver to understand his/her life and write a report. They would address the cadaver as teacher. At the end of the school year where all cadavers are cremated, the students will meet again with the family to express their gratitude.

Archived