Premed 101 Forums

Back for clerkship after masters - how to prepare?

Hey y'all, hope you're having a wonderful time wherever you are. This is my first post here, I'm looking for a little info.

I study in the province of Quebec (word), I took a year off after my 2nd year to finish my master's degree and various other projects. I'll be starting my rotations in August, I'm wondering how I can best prepare for clerkship. I don't have too much work from now until July so I can definitely get some reading in :)

Basically I'm wondering what is the highest yield studying I can do pre-clerkship. Others have suggested I look at Step 2 prep books and brush up on my interview and examination skills. What are the most important aspects of clerkship that I need to focus on? I really feel like if I really hit the books in the right way for the next few months I could make my life a bit easier next year. Any suggestions are appreciated! Peace.

I would do a medicine elective in your position but I haven't hit clerkship yet.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've thought about that but unfortunately it's out of the question, I can't have an elective scheduled in the next 3 months. Bureaucracy my friend.

Agree. Having a strong knowledge base (Step 2 material) will help, as will being comfortable with the history/physical (which people will assume you already know). But nothing substitutes for hands-on experience to learn to apply these skills to real-life situations in real time.

Agree and disagree.

Try to brush up on Hx/physical exam and try to use high yield review books such as step 2 study materials or toronto notes.

But in terms of practical experience, the students you will begin clerkship with have no more "hands-on" experience than you do. The only difference is the material will be more fresh.

Archived