Premed 101 Forums

University of Guelph or Waterloo?!

vee9

I'm a grade 12 student and I'm hoping that I'll make it into optometry school after.

I'm deciding between Waterloo Life Science and Guelph Biological Science. I ultimately want to go to Waterloo Optometry school.

I've gotten mixed reviews for both.

Some say that Guelph has a more well-known biolmedical program than Waterloo and that their campus is nicer.

Some picked Waterloo because it was well-known and prestigious, but said it was hard to maintain a high GPA there.

Any advice?

I can't comment on the programs, but I have to say that Guelph's campus is beautiful. I have a couple of friends who went to Guelph, and I visited them a couple of times, and it was lovely there. The food service there too was top notch - the variety and quality of the food was better than I've seen at any other university.

Waterloo has a great reputation for engineering and computer science, but Guelph has an excellent reputation for biological sciences. Their college of biological science is actually its own faculty, separate from the faculty of science, and OVC (Ontario Veterinary College - a world renowned veterinary school) is there.

Good luck with your decision, and sorry I can't give you any feedback on the programs. I just know my friends who went to Guelph (and studied human kinetics and animal science) loved it there.

Hi there, ex-Waterloo student here. I will suggest Guelph, personally. It seems like everything is easier to get to in Guelph. Comparatively, Waterloo is oddly built as a city, has an iffy bus setup, and all the volunteer opportunities are located some distance from campus. :eek:

Archived