Premed 101 Forums

Palliative Care Elective

FamilyGuy

Hi everyone,

I will be completing a Palliative Medicine fellowship in the coming year, and I have a few months of elective time to use. Please post about any good experiences in Palliative Care you have had yourself (whether from a teaching or a good preceptor standpoint) or have heard about.

Also, if anyone knows of a good preceptor or area in which to do an elective in Palliative Care in New York City, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks!

I had a good time in Edmonton at the Grey Nuns Hospital's Tertiary Palliative Care Unit. Busy, large (20-something bed unit), serious about multi-disciplinary work (music therapy, touch therapy, chaplaincy, etc.), great staff, strong volunteers. A high-functioning unit that's worth a look.

Hi everyone,

I will be completing a Palliative Medicine fellowship in the coming year, and I have a few months of elective time to use. Please post about any good experiences in Palliative Care you have had yourself (whether from a teaching or a good preceptor standpoint) or have heard about.

Also, if anyone knows of a good preceptor or area in which to do an elective in Palliative Care in New York City, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks!

Dr. Tammie Quest of Emory, who is double-boarded in emergency medicine and palliative medicine and who has a big grant from one of the US funding agencies to develop a palliative care curriculum for emergency medicine trainees, recently gave a talk to our residents. She seems pretty cool. Check your email for further info.

Archived