Premed 101 Forums

UBC vs UWO

Hey guys, I was fortunate enough to get off the waitlist today at UBC and was also accepted to UWO several weeks ago. I know both are great schools but I don't know which one I should go to. I thought about some of the Pros and Cons but would like to get everyone's opinions

Pros

UWO

- surgery is something that I am interested in and the school has a good surgery program and I know a family friend who works as a prof at the department of surgery

- familiar environment; hometown is near London

- cheap rent and cost of living

- two afternoons off/week

- tight student body

UBC

- really nice city

- large numbers of affiliated teaching hospitals

- beautiful campus

- better/exciting lifestyle?

- prestige?

Cons

UWO

- although London is a really nice city, it can't be compared to Vancouver

UBC

- rent is uber expensive and so is the cost of living

- atmosphere - I did not get the same level of warmth or welcome at UBC as I did at UWO during the interview day. Don't know how indicative this is about the student/faculty.

I should also add that distance is not really a concern for me.

I am not familiar with UBC's curriculum as they don't post a lot on their website so if people can shed some light on this, that would be great. Thanks everyone!

Vancouver is one of the best cities in the world and UBC is like the UOT of the west...yet both Western and UBC are very good schools ....I would have personally choose UBC (I wish I was in your position lol) but the decision is yours

hahaa...someone who shares my analogy :)

Vancouver is one of the best cities in the world and UBC is like the UOT of the west...yet both Western and UBC are very good schools ....I would have personally choose UBC (I wish I was in your position lol) but the decision is yours

If UBC is like UT of the west, then the downside probably comes with it too? e.g. faculty very focused on profs and research, and less on student experience and so on.

Having been to UT and UWO, I'd pick UWO in a heart beat. I went to UT for a professional program that's not medicine, so maybe faculty of medicine is different?

If UBC is like UT of the west, then the downside probably comes with it too? e.g. faculty very focused on profs and research, and less on student experience and so on.

Having been to UT and UWO, I'd pick UWO in a heart beat. I went to UT for a professional program that's not medicine, so maybe faculty of medicine is different?

Med schools aren't really like undergrad programs. From what I've heard, no matter where you go in Canada the faculty of med cares about its students very much.

Hey guys, thanks everyone for their inputs. It was a really tough decision (coudn't sleep for several nights) but I decided to go to UWO! Best of luck to everyone!

Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, Class of 2015

You made the right decision. Sweet signature btw.

Med schools aren't really like undergrad programs. From what I've heard, no matter where you go in Canada the faculty of med cares about its students very much.

I went to a professional faculty (pharmacy) at UT. The contrast between how much UWO and UT cared about its students was astounding. Most profs were very good, but the university as a whole (because no matter what, the faculty is in the university), especially the upper faculty admin, ie the deans, didn't make it feel like they valued the students.

Obviously I wasn't in med, so I can't speak to any differences there maybe. Just putting in my two cents having came from a professional faculty of a large university

Great choice, Wizard!! =) See you in September!

Archived