Premed 101 Forums

Is There Hope?

My problem is something that has been said a lot on this website; I'm sure all of you have heard it countless times.

Basically I have no science background but I am interested in Medicine.

I am a high school student in grade 12. I live in India. I dropped Science and Math in grade 10, and so my high school years have been largely lacking in these subjects.

I have always been interested in Medicine, and for a short while I toyed with the idea of taking Science in 11th and 12th so that I could write the medical entrance exam test here in India. But Chemistry and Math are not exactly my strong points so I was told to drop the idea. The science courses in high school are very rigorous, at least in India, and they get quite technical; they do not simply cover the basics unlike pre-med course requirements abroad.

The bug of Medicine never left me though. It's been two years and I'm still thinking that I really want to be a doctor. I was asked to drop the prospect of Medicine and was told that there are other ways to help people. But I keep coming back to this idea.

I found out that in Canada and USA, you can take foundation courses as pre-med whilst also pursuing an alternative major. This sounds perfect for me. I just have a few doubts -

1. Is my lack of aptitude for Science and Math something that can be overcome with foundation courses? Or should I give up?

2. Will I be able to cope?

3. Should I just... give up on the dream of being a doctor?

This is quite an ill-organised post, and my mind is sort of rambling everywhere. I am desperate and really need some help though.

1. Is my lack of aptitude for Science and Math something that can be overcome with foundation courses? Or should I give up?

1. In Canada and USA you need to write MCAT (I believe same is true in India) and take certain science based courses that are prerequisites for med schools. Some courses you might have to take are: bio, chem, organic chem, biochemistry ect. If the prerequisites are completed, then you can get into med school with any undergraduate degree.

2. Depends on your motivation.

3. Again, this depends on you. IF you really want to be a doctor, then you will make it happen, it might not be easy but it is achievable.

To put it very very bluntly: If I'm **** at science, do I still have a shot at being a doctor which is my dream?

If you're **** at science but can still get 4.0 GPA on those science pre-req courses, plus a super high MCAT score on biology and physics, you can still make it. But if you are already like **** at high school science then I dont see those happen.

And btw do you have Canadian or US citizenship?

If you're **** at science but can still get 4.0 GPA on those science pre-req courses, plus a super high MCAT score on biology and physics, you can still make it. But if you are already like **** at high school science then I dont see those happen.

And btw do you have Canadian or US citizenship?

Haha thank you, Genemo, for successfully making my questions seem stupid!

I am an Indian citizen.

I got 78% in my class 10 science final.

Bring on the subtly disparaging remarks! Haha.

My problem is something that has been said a lot on this website; I'm sure all of you have heard it countless times.

Basically I have no science background but I am interested in Medicine.

I am a high school student in grade 12. I live in India. I dropped Science and Math in grade 10, and so my high school years have been largely lacking in these subjects.

I have always been interested in Medicine, and for a short while I toyed with the idea of taking Science in 11th and 12th so that I could write the medical entrance exam test here in India. But Chemistry and Math are not exactly my strong points so I was told to drop the idea. The science courses in high school are very rigorous, at least in India, and they get quite technical; they do not simply cover the basics unlike pre-med course requirements abroad.

The bug of Medicine never left me though. It's been two years and I'm still thinking that I really want to be a doctor. I was asked to drop the prospect of Medicine and was told that there are other ways to help people. But I keep coming back to this idea.

I found out that in Canada and USA, you can take foundation courses as pre-med whilst also pursuing an alternative major. This sounds perfect for me. I just have a few doubts -

This is quite an ill-organised post, and my mind is sort of rambling everywhere. I am desperate and really need some help though.

Which university do you plan on attending? Because is suggest Dalhouise or somewhere in Alberta, as you "should" gain -in-province status if you live x# of years/

Haha thank you, Genemo, for successfully making my questions seem stupid!

I am an Indian citizen.

I got 78% in my class 10 science final.

Bring on the subtly disparaging remarks! Haha.

I dont mean to make you look stupid. I want you to see the reality and then decide on your plan. All Canadian schools in total accept less than 10 international students every year into MD programs. And I'm not sure if you are aware of the difficulty getting in MD even for domestic students. Without a Canadian citizenship, you probably need straight A to get in the MD. I'm not saying it is impossible, but I'm saying its very difficult.

If you are aware of that and still want to give it a try, then don't say you are **** at science because that's just what it takes to become a doctor in Canada. You do not have to be super good at science but you need a high GPA and a stellar MCAT. Without these you are going nowhere. Heres the game and heres the rule. Take it or leave it.

. Heres the game and heres the rule. Take it or leave it.

I understand. Sorry.

See my problem is not the part that comes after pre-med; my problem right now is the pre-med bit in itself.

I guess I am just trying to get information about whether I should even consider it. Dreams are not enough; I'm trying to consider the practical aspect of even pursuing the pre-req courses....

I understand. Sorry.

See my problem is not the part that comes after pre-med; my problem right now is the pre-med bit in itself.

I guess I am just trying to get information about whether I should even consider it. Dreams are not enough; I'm trying to consider the practical aspect of even pursuing the pre-req courses....

Then I would say, you do not need to major science in order to get in MD, but you need certain science background to fulfill the pre-req requirements and to get a good MCAT score.

If you feel you could try your best and survive those several science courses, then go for it. Otherwise I suggest you consider other professions.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hell, I feel that I am not smart enough to get the marks needed to be doc. But, I'll never know if I don't try. I rather live with failure then say that I didn't do it because I thought I was not good enough. Life is unpredictable and if you've the passion to become a doc. then make it happen.

I agree that dreams are not enough, but whats the point of life then? to make $$$? Think short term. Do what you like now and if it doesn't work then go with the flow from there.

Hello limegreenworld!

There are quite a few issues at hand here. Firstly, you cannot study medicine in Canada as an international student except for a handful of schools such as McGill, UofT, McMaster and Dalhousie (there might be one more). So you'd have to apply for PR asap or else, work here for a year after your undergrad and apply for PR with that.

As for your concern at being bad in the sciences, you may not know that for sure. As far as I'm aware about the Indian system, it's very advanced from lower levels and perhaps it came at you too fast. The Canadian high school system science courses will be more laid back, although in university it sure does pick up pace. I'm not sure you'll be allowed to take some of the first year science courses that you need for med school without having taken the required courses in high school though. What you can do is, if you arrive in Canada during a summer, enroll in e-school, night school or summer school to do the high school requirements that you need in order to do courses that you might need either directly for med school or to do your mcats.

Personally, I have a very hard time with physics- but I realized that if you put the right amount of work in it in the right way, it can be overcome and you can do well. The key to succeeding in university (well, there are many keys- this is one ;)) is to make use of the resources that are available to you. There are tons of awesome online resources for the sciences, one of my favourites being the Khan Academy (google that, if you don't know what it is). In addition to that, there are TAs, help centres, peer tutoring resources, etc. etc. etc. that can help you to succeed. I personally know of many people that weren't the strongest students in high school but with hard work and motivation to seek the proper resources, it is defniitely possible.

Like I said, the Indian system at the grade 10 level may have overwhelmed you (because it IS very advanced), which is why you dropped the science courses in the subsequent years. Your best bet now would be to pick those up (either by doing some high school credits) or if the university you're planning on coming to allows you, then just take them in uni and try your level best at them, seeking any and all the help you can get.

I believe strongly it's too early to give up-- WAY too early:) Once you enter university you will definitely find out better study habits that suit you and can excel. It's all about the effort!

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions or pm me.

Then I would say, you do not need to major science in order to get in MD, but you need certain science background to fulfill the pre-req requirements and to get a good MCAT score.

If you feel you could try your best and survive those several science courses, then go for it. Otherwise I suggest you consider other professions.

What are the pre-req requirements - 4 years of high school science?

I feel I could try my best. I want to have tried, at least. It seems like a waste when, studying abroad, I would get the opportunity to major in something else but yet continue pursuing this.

What do you feel are the factors, qualities or attitudes that make a good doctor? Are you studying medicine as well?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hell, I feel that I am not smart enough to get the marks needed to be doc. But, I'll never know if I don't try. I rather live with failure then say that I didn't do it because I thought I was not good enough. Life is unpredictable and if you've the passion to become a doc. then make it happen.

I agree that dreams are not enough, but whats the point of life then? to make $$$? Think short term. Do what you like now and if it doesn't work then go with the flow from there.

Thank you, Minion.

Are you studying pre-med?

Most medical schools have very lenient pre-req requirements, e.g. UofT med requires one full year of any life science course. On the other hand, McGill requires two full years of general chemistry. (Check out the relevant websites, don't trust me on the lengths that I mentioned). In any case, you will need to do your MCATs, for which taking first year courses in the basic sciences at the university level is almost necessary.

I feel I could try my best. I want to have tried, at least. It seems like a waste when, studying abroad, I would get the opportunity to major in something else but yet continue pursuing this.

What do you feel are the factors, qualities or attitudes that make a good doctor? Are you studying medicine as well?

Hello limegreenworld!

There are quite a few issues at hand here. Firstly, you cannot study medicine in Canada as an international student except for a handful of schools such as McGill, UofT, McMaster and Dalhousie (there might be one more). So you'd have to apply for PR asap or else, work here for a year after your undergrad and apply for PR with that.

As for your concern at being bad in the sciences, you may not know that for sure. As far as I'm aware about the Indian system, it's very advanced from lower levels and perhaps it came at you too fast. The Canadian high school system science courses will be more laid back, although in university it sure does pick up pace. I'm not sure you'll be allowed to take some of the first year science courses that you need for med school without having taken the required courses in high school though. What you can do is, if you arrive in Canada during a summer, enroll in e-school, night school or summer school to do the high school requirements that you need in order to do courses that you might need either directly for med school or to do your mcats.

Personally, I have a very hard time with physics- but I realized that if you put the right amount of work in it in the right way, it can be overcome and you can do well. The key to succeeding in university (well, there are many keys- this is one ;)) is to make use of the resources that are available to you. There are tons of awesome online resources for the sciences, one of my favourites being the Khan Academy (google that, if you don't know what it is). In addition to that, there are TAs, help centres, peer tutoring resources, etc. etc. etc. that can help you to succeed. I personally know of many people that weren't the strongest students in high school but with hard work and motivation to seek the proper resources, it is defniitely possible.

Like I said, the Indian system at the grade 10 level may have overwhelmed you (because it IS very advanced), which is why you dropped the science courses in the subsequent years. Your best bet now would be to pick those up (either by doing some high school credits) or if the university you're planning on coming to allows you, then just take them in uni and try your level best at them, seeking any and all the help you can get.

I believe strongly it's too early to give up-- WAY too early:) Once you enter university you will definitely find out better study habits that suit you and can excel. It's all about the effort!

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions or pm me.

Thank you, amalwa12.

I agree that the Indian system of approaching science might have overwhelmed me. However, the trouble is that, as you said, most schools require a four-year high school science background.

As for what you said about very few international being accepted into medicine in Canada - is USA any better?

Most schools require several college level courses in order to apply for the MD. Don't worry about your high school grades, they won't affect your application. But you need to take first year biology and chemistry and do great on those. Schools have different pre-req requirements, you can find them on their website. I think in general you need first year biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry and some biochem, plus some humanity courses.

I would encourage you to study abroad, and actually I suggest you to study in the US, as long as your family could afford it. Believe it or not, it is much easier to get in MD in the US than in Canada, because there are many more schools in the US. The worst case if you can't get in MD, you can still choose to do something else after graduation, so nothing to lose.

I'm not a medical student yet. I wish I was, haha.

I'm just another international student came to Canada several years ago and still working hard towards medicine.Thats also why Im aware of your citizenship problem :P

Most schools require several college level courses in order to apply for the MD. Don't worry about your high school grades, they won't affect your application. But you need to take first year biology and chemistry and do great on those. Schools have different pre-req requirements, you can find them on their website. I think in general you need first year biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry and some biochem, plus some humanity courses.

I would encourage you to study abroad, and actually I suggest you to study in the US, as long as your family could afford it. Believe it or not, it is much easier to get in MD in the US than in Canada, because there are many more schools in the US. The worst case if you can't get in MD, you can still choose to do something else after graduation, so nothing to lose.

I'm not a medical student yet. I wish I was, haha.

I'm just another international student came to Canada several years ago and still working hard towards medicine.Thats also why Im aware of your citizenship problem :P

When you're taking first-year science courses in undergrad, do you need any high school science requirements (4 years of Chemistry, for example)?

Could you give me some names of suitable US colleges/univs? Google isn't being too helpful...

Oh I see, where are you from? :D

Thank you, amalwa12.

I agree that the Indian system of approaching science might have overwhelmed me. However, the trouble is that, as you said, most schools require a four-year high school science background.

As for what you said about very few international being accepted into medicine in Canada - is USA any better?

Not really, limegreenworld. Only a few schools in the US accept international students, and those who do tend to have pretty high entrance standards. The necessary route is to do an several years of an undergrad including science prerequisites and to do extremely well in these courses.

You could also consider medical schools in other countries such as the Caribbean, Australia, Ireland, England, Poland... but they also generally require undergraduate experience (there are some exceptions, I am not very knowledgeable on applying outside of North America).

And I think the science you've done so far is probably not the same type of science that is required for medical school or the medical profession in general. Grade 10 classes don't have the depth or scope of upper year courses and you may find your passion stoked by more intensive coursework.

That said, you should be aware that science is a pretty integral part of medicine. If you don't like it, why are you trying to get a career in it? What experiences have you had that have led you to want medicine as a career? Are you sure you're not being swayed into it by a rose-tinted perception of the field from the media/society/family?

From my experience, the most successful and happy people I know have leveraged both their strengths and interests when choosing a career. If you're going to spend 40+ years doing something, you will find yourself frustrated if you are in a career that you're just not good at, or you could care less about. I would look deeper to find what underlies your true motivation for medicine (try volunteering in medically related fields for a starter), and figure out what your strengths are. See if there's a middle ground somewhere.

Are you sure you're not being swayed into it by a rose-tinted perception of the field from the media/society/family?

On the contrary, the perception I have received from family and people I know is far from rose-tinted. My childhood best friend's father is a cardiosurgeon, and he kept saying that I shouldn't enter medicine for the glamour quotient, that it is a lot of hard work, that the work hours and the devoted years of study are both very challenging and that only the truly committed should pursue it and the rest shouldn't bother.

My parents have never pressured me into doing Medicine. We have never discussed it except vaguely, as a hypothetical. They keep telling me that I should believe in what I do, and the rest will come with work - whichever field I choose.

When you're taking first-year science courses in undergrad, do you need any high school science requirements (4 years of Chemistry, for example)?

Could you give me some names of suitable US colleges/univs? Google isn't being too helpful...

Oh I see, where are you from? :D

You need some high school science to take those pre-req, but Im not sure how much you need from high school. As long as you have grade 11 science I believe you'll be ok.

I cannot give you suggestion on choosing US schools since Im in Canada and I have no knowledge about that. Sorry.

Thank you, Minion.

Are you studying pre-med?

There is no such thing as premed in Canada, just people who consider themselves as premed. :cool: I don't want to consider myself as premed because I don't exactly know if I really want to be a doctor yet.

Archived