Premed 101 Forums

Electronic vs analogue stethoscope

Any opinions?

I've heard most incoming students buy a Littman Cardiology III. It seems to have the most consistent good reports.

A friend of mine in clerkship said he ditched his analogue one when he started clerkship and bought an electronic stethoscope (Thinklabs ds32a). He mentioned that he regularly hears murmurs others can't, but that he has a little more trouble with respiratory exams. His other friend went with a triple-head stethoscope.

Normally I'd shrug it off, since electronic ones come in at about $400. But right now Thinklabs has a sale on their ds32a+ limited editions, for $229 (in US dollars, probably). With a Littman coming in at $150-200 (CDN?), it almost makes sense to go straight for the electronic one.

Thoughts?

Consider the 'show-off' factor... I have heard of residents complaining about gunner med students with ultra-fancy stethoscopes. In that case though it seemed to be a symptom of the problem rather than a cause.

I have an old one a family friend gave me. He said he hadn't used it in 25 years and I'm sure it has ebola or something on it... but if it works it works, I guess I'll find out eventually.

lol...my sentiments exactly

i rarely see fancy electronic ones (maybe ONE attending who wasn't even a cardiologist). in my opinion, it's a waste of money.

I have an electronic one because my hearing is only 50% of normal. I need the speaker boost just to be on par with average people :)

Actually most of my family is very short of hearing - seems to be something genetic

Any blood in your urine?:cool:

I also have a hearing problem, and it runs in my family, and have considered the electronic ones. I've only held out because I don't want people thinking I'm trying to 'show off' as others have implied. But no, nobody has Alport's syndrome in the family. ;)

Archived