Premed 101 Forums

UBC student blinded after returning home to Bangladesh

Mithril

Horrible! And for some reason some people are trying to make it about culture/race, but that could happen anywhere. I've heard of very similar things right here in Alberta, actually. I wonder if he was always violent or if he just had a random psychotic episode. I wonder if she knew there was a chance of something terrible happening when she was heading home to see her daughter....I hope they can restore at least some of her vision. At least if she were in Canada, she wouldn't have to worry about the cost of her medical care, who knows what it's like in Bangladesh.

I don't get the relevance of this. :confused:

Relevance=none

Purpose=to attempt to start another flame war about religion. It comes up about once every couple months. Apparently we're due for another ridiculous argument with ridiculous accusations. Yet. Again.

ugh.

Violence against women and a plethora of other human rights violations is a major issue is many developing countries. It may be done in the name of one god or another but frankly I think that's irrevelant. Those who point fingers at Islam need only to look bad a couple hundred years in Christian history and realize that the two really aren't that different. I really don't care who you pray to, but I do think women, and everyone really, have the right not to live in fear.

so much sadness in the world :(

In case anyone is wondering: Bangladesh is 90% Muslim.

(Thought I'd save you the bother of looking it up!)

and medguy, this isn't the first anti-muslim post you've made, but it better be your last.

"Manzur alleges her husband pinned her to a bed in a jealous rage, gouged her eyes out with his fingers and bit off part of her nose."

I want to know more about this husband. Jealous rage or not, what kind of mental state would you have to be in to let your anger out in such a...specific way?

This crime was not in even the slighest related to religion. Many crimes of this kind are common in south asian countries (not to say that they dont happen in North America) primarily because of intolerance, ignorance, illiteracy and non existense of any fear of accountability, but since this involved a UBC student it came into the spotlight. But what kind of a man tries to bite of his wife's nose :confused: ?

What an utterly oblivious and ignorant thing to say...... get off this forum and go back to testing the limits of your intellect by finding waldo.

I think this BS only happens in countries where education is scarce and is not related to religion at all. But, in my opinion, I think the world would be a better place if there was no religion and everyone worshiped science ;p

Yea James Watson once remarked that blacks are inferior to whites. He was talking as a scientist. He is a pretty acclaimed scientist, I reckon there is logic in this comment of his as well? Or no?

Science is amoral.

Yea James Watson once remarked that blacks are inferior to whites. He was talking as a scientist. He is a pretty acclaimed scientist, I reckon there is logic in this comment of his as well? Or no?

Science is amoral.

Unless you're being sarcastic, which is at times pretty difficult to detect online, then disregard this message.

Many highly respected scientists use their title to make many unsubstantiated claims. Take, for example, Michio kaku who is highly regarded in the physics community and is the co-founder of string field theory. He has made many ridiculous claims, such as room temperature superconductors can allow people to fly using the earth's magnetic field and that perpetual motion machines will one day be possible, contradicting the laws of thermodynamics.

Just because one is a respected scientist does not mean they can make assumptions without employing scientific method and having data to support their claims. Classic appeal to authority fallacy.

First and foremost, medguy I hope you can one day cleanse your heart of such an ignorant thought amongst I'm assuming many others. It's pathetic to say the least.

Second, I don't want to side-track this forum as much as this D-bag comment did but hearing this story not only breaks your heart, but it really makes you feel so grateful for everything you have. I mean this only relates to me and I won't speak on everyone's behalf, but I'm sitting here in a "free country" complaining about studying for an mcat because I'm a softy, and then you have people who study so hard and go back and get this as a reward. It honestly blows my mind, and things like this happen all the time.

Unless you're being sarcastic, which is at times pretty difficult to detect online, then disregard this message.

Many highly respected scientists use their title to make many unsubstantiated claims. Take, for example, Michio kaku who is highly regarded in the physics community and is the co-founder of string field theory. He has made many ridiculous claims, such as room temperature superconductors can allow people to fly using the earth's magnetic field and that perpetual motion machines will one day be possible, contradicting the laws of thermodynamics.

Just because one is a respected scientist does not mean they can make assumptions without employing scientific method and having data to support their claims. Classic appeal to authority fallacy.

Doesn't Michio Kaku also host that show "Sci Fi Science" about how one day, we "could" build "lightabers/travel through time/teleport etc"? I like that show, but I don't take it too seriously. I thought the point of the show was just to see how far we can stretch our imaginations with the newest technology. I thought it was just fun, though I haven't read his books so I don't really have a complete picture.

edit:

sorry for the tangent.

Doesn't Michio Kaku also host that show "Sci Fi Science" about how one day, we "could" build "lightabers/travel through time/teleport etc"? I like that show, but I don't take it too seriously. I thought the point of the show was just to see how far we can stretch our imaginations with the newest technology. I thought it was just fun, though I haven't read his books so I don't really have a complete picture.

Pretty much. I mean, to a degree, I do admire the work he is doing by popularizing science to the masses. The problem is, like all other celebrity scientists, he does not acknowledge current laws of physics when discussing these technologies that are commonplace in science-fiction. Instead, he uses anecdotes such as when mathematical physicist William Kelvin concluded that "heavier than air" flying machines are impossible but flight happened not too many years later to support his ridiculous assertions.

Personally, I don't see two bike mechanics building a space ship that can travel at relativistic speeds around the universe in the foreseeable future, but that's just my opinion.

edit:

sorry for the tangent.

No need to apologize, tangents are sometimes needed to keep the discussion interesting. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I think this BS only happens in countries where education is scarce and is not related to religion at all. But, in my opinion, I think the world would be a better place if there was no religion and everyone worshiped science ;p

Or maybe if all faiths' were allowed to be practiced freely and no one was taught to hate/disrespect/look down upon their counterparts? :)

Archived