Premed 101 Forums

recommended biochemistry course?

Guest Shaunabelle

Guest Shaunabelle

How critical do you think it is to have a biochemistry course completed before going into medical school. By May i will have all of my McGill pre-req courses completed (bio,chem,orgo, and physics) but i was wondering if i should do a summer correspondence course in biochemistry as well. I would rather spend my summer doing something else, but does anyone out there think that i should invest the time and money in a biochem course instead? ( I guess i should mention that i did my undergrad in Engineering so i dont really have any knowledge in the biosciences other than the pre-req courses).

Any advice here at all would be appreciated!

Thanx, S

At my interview, I spoke to some students with no background in the basic sciences; they said it was tough at the start, but they eventually caught up. Med schools recognize that their students have different backgrounds, and as long as you're willing to put in the work, they'll even the playing field for you.

I don't know how stress-free the rest of your summers will be, which leads me to suggest to take this summer off and do something for yourself. Plus it sounds like what you want to do. Hope that helps.

Guest medicator007

You would willingly spend a summer doing biochemistry? My word....:eek

I had ZERO biochemistry going into medicine and I got through the basic years just fine thanks. Truth be told, there is not MUCH biochem and it is fairly straightforward, unlike most of what is covered in regular biochem courses from what i understand.

Medicator

• 2 weeks later...
Guest McGill Angel

i would just pick up a biochem text like Voet and Voet (EXCELLENT biochem book, by the way) and just read it over stuff in it.

• 1 year later...

Archived