Premed 101 Forums

International, non-trad and DESPERATE!!!

Guest LukaBR

Hello Everyone!!

First of all, thank you all the founders of this forum for the great initiative and sensitivity.

I am an international student (undergraduate Biology minor in Anthropology and International Relations) from Brazil [university of São Paulo]

I've chosen McGill since 1998, when I moved back to Brazil from Algeria and Sweden (we left Algeria because of the civil war, i lived there for almost 12 years).

I have been striving to do my best in every possible way, but all I've got is a mini-ridiculous internet application manual and thousand of problems.

The educational system here is totally non international-friendly, there is so much bureaucracy and many McGill requirementes simply DO NOT exist here. This are so different and my doubts are so many and overwhelming that I truly believe I was blessed to have found this e-spot.

God I have so many questions I don't know where to start from ... but lets see ....

GPA, here scale 0 to 10, there 0 to 4:

I read on the Black Book on Canadian Medical Schools that a 3.5 would be equal to an 8.0/10.

The main issue is that i I talked to the dean at my faculty and he said that there hasn't been in the 80 years history of the entire university a CGPA of 9.5/10. Our mean class scores are in general between 6.8 and 7.2 out of 10 and in most Brazilian universities it is similar. According to the undergraduate office here, grades between 7.0 and 8.0 are very good and everything above 8.0 is outstanding. I'm striving for a 8.2 and all my professors regard it as a very high score for our standards.

What I am trying to say is that I understand that McGill is extremely well receptive to international students, yet I believe that they use US and Canadian standards of scoring for the evaluation.

Another point is credit. McGill, requires 120 in 4 years (15 per semester) yet here we take usually 30 or 35 credits per semester and I still have an year to go and have already 210 credits, by the end of my 4th year I will have acumulated almost 350 credits (1 credit is one hour of class per week for the semester).

I'd like to know if these issues are taken into consideration by the application and selection comitee. I have talked to many professors (including some that have given classes abroad) and former students and they all agree that 9.0 is already almost an oniric score for our standards. I have an average score of almost 8.0 and I am on the top 2% of the class, there is really no one with those grades (9.0 and 9.5).

To give an example, a friend of mine from USP applied for a Harvard research sponsorship and entered with an 8.4 out of 10 which for us is absolutely outstanding.

I am really really lost here, and there are no advisers in Brazil for this course (it is not even known, for here we take a SAT-like test and enter med school without pre-med or all this selection process).

I have no idea of the "rules" of the game from a Brazilian perspective.

Thank you all beforehand.

Best wishes,

:)

LuKa

Sorry, I forgot to contextualize ....

I refered to GPA of 9 and 9.5/10 because I was told from a McGill med student that this would be the conversion of a 3.5 and 3.8 from the 0/4 scale to the 0/10.

And I imagine that it is just tooooo high.

Oh and I forgot, I'd like to know if they consider the fact that you study morning, afternoon and night (8 to 12, 14 to 18 and 19 to 23) everyday as hoigh course load ... one of my semesters I had coursed 45 credits in 6 months (45 hours of class weekly) plus 15 extracurricular credits plus 20 credits fo sceintific research (neuroscience) ... do you think they will find me crazy or something? I mena, of course it's not normal for us either .... but I sacrificated part of my academic excelence (grade-speaking) in name of a more diverse education, a rich extracurricular experience and scientific research ... is this valid? I mean, is it weighed out if it resulted in a median GPA?

Thanxs

:\

Guest noncestvrai

How about doing your MD in Brazil, I have an uncle who did that he is head of some department in the United States now...meaning that you can get a good education in Brazil I guess.

Come on, and the ladies there...

But really, this is because of the grading system, ask a french if 17/20 is good...I have NEVER seen somebody with a 18-19.

In Quebec (french), we have system of grading according to the average, basically how you do compared to everyone, and bonus if your are in a tough program, which I find fair.

Sorry, I can't help you, unless you come to Canada, take a few classes and prove your "north american" abilities.

noncestvrai

Salut noncestvrai,

Thx for answering, you are not the first one to disencourage the McGill experience in me ...

I've stuudied in several countries and for me studying medicine at McGill is the best option.

Medical education here is fine, but extremely technical, non-personal, conservative, elitist with a curriculum that is absolutely to laugh at, both in density, topics, rotations, interdisciplinarity and human sciences courses.

We live in a country with an extremyl vertical distribution of resourses and public services (although we are the 8th largest economy on the globe) and yet 200 med students gradaute for free form a public university, which is the best med school here, and absolutely do not redistrivute the product of their education to those in greater need. We live in a hipocrite society because ewe struggle so hard to be like the states, we are almost there.

That's not want for me. I believe that the McGill exepricne can bring me new insights into the solutions of major problems we go through as do many other countries even in worse conditions.

I'm still curious about why United States citizens and also Canadians tend to underestimate or overlook (even discredit) the contribution that a diverse international student body can bring to the health eudcational system and service both in Canada or the US.

I have noticed that les Français sont beaucoup plus receptive aux """pied noirs""" (with poetic lisense of course ..)

Thx for your advice though, and feel free to come visit Brazil anytime and profit from the incredible system of infantile prostitution only poor desolated and savage anarcic countries can offer (hey just kidding pal, that's the brazilian veine humoristique).

:lol thx again

LuKa

Guest Ian Wong

Hi there,

I'm not a McGill student, but would like to try to help you out if possible.

The educational system here is totally non international-friendly, there is so much bureaucracy and many McGill requirementes simply DO NOT exist here.
For that reason, I suggest that you contact the McGill medical school admissions office directly, to see if your current university work in Brazil will be accepted at McGill. Here are a number of links, which you may have already seen; if not, it's a great place to start:

www.medicine.mcgill.ca/

www.medicine.mcgill.ca/ugme/default.htm

www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/appnonquebec.htm#international

According to the undergraduate office here, grades between 7.0 and 8.0 are very good and everything above 8.0 is outstanding. I'm striving for a 8.2 and all my professors regard it as a very high score for our standards.
Unfortunately, depending on whatever GPA conversion is used by McGill, you might find that your GPA is not so favourable when converted over. Unfortunately, it would be impossible for McGill (or any other institution, for that matter), to figure out the level of difficulty for courses done at outside institutions, particularly those in other countries. As a result, if your GPA, once converted over, is a poor GPA by McGill standards, you may very well be stuck with it.
McGill, requires 120 in 4 years (15 per semester) yet here we take usually 30 or 35 credits per semester and I still have an year to go and have already 210 credits, by the end of my 4th year I will have acumulated almost 350 credits (1 credit is one hour of class per week for the semester).

I'd like to know if these issues are taken into consideration by the application and selection comitee.

Again, I suspect not. This is something that you would want to discuss with the admissions committee, but I doubt that they'd be able to do much with the information. Other applicants also balance off huge time committments along with their university work (ie. may have children, may be solely supporting themselves by working while still attending school full-time, may have other personal or family issues, etc), and they usually do not receive special consideration either (especially when it's a computer that is screening out applicants based on a GPA cut-off).
Oh and I forgot, I'd like to know if they consider the fact that you study morning, afternoon and night (8 to 12, 14 to 18 and 19 to 23) everyday as hoigh course load ... one of my semesters I had coursed 45 credits in 6 months (45 hours of class weekly) plus 15 extracurricular credits plus 20 credits fo sceintific research (neuroscience) ... do you think they will find me crazy or something?
As above, I doubt it. Something important to realize is that the admissions committees is usually quite small in number. There simply isn't the time to devote huge resources to in-depth analysis of each candidate. A large number of people usually get screened out based on GPA and MCAT score cutoffs. Other people will be screened out if they do not meet med school pre-requisites (ie. have not taken/are not currently taking the required courses, or do not have the appropriate citizenship/permanent resident status, etc). The remaining pool may then undergo further scrutiny of the non-academic of their application, and a select fraction invited for interview. As a result, a large portion of the applicant pool is usually rejected before human eyes even see the application itself. If your GPA is insufficient to meet the cutoff thresholds, it will not matter at all if you have done twice the credits of any other applicant; you'll still get a computer-generated automatic rejection.
I have no idea of the "rules" of the game from a Brazilian perspective.
For these reasons, I suggest you contact the McGill administration. You may not even be eligible to apply to McGill based on several factors at the current time (ie. have your courses satisfied the McGill pre-requisite courses, have you written the MCAT and achieved scores above the cutoff, will McGill recognize your current university and have they ever had applicants from your university before, is your GPA (once converted) above the McGill cutoffs, etc). I don't mean to sound discouraging, but if you wish to train at McGill there are a number of hoops you will need to jump, and the best place to start is to contact them directly.

Your personal situation is unusual enough that I doubt anyone here on this website could give you any definitive information.

Best of luck!

Ian

Guest noncestvrai

Salut Luka,

Ian a dit juste, comme d'habitude, mais ca te couterait de seulement faire un diplome universitaire nord-americain? Il me semble qu'avec ton background ce serait facile d'atteindre des bonnes notes.

Otherwise, McGill can be bribed I heard.

noncestvrai

Hello Ian,

It was nice of you to reply and help out, thank you very much :)

Well, I understand all that you have said. The fact is that I'm actually pretty familiar with the application process. Yes, I plan to take my MCAT in Puerto Rico, yes I meet all the requirements, my only issue is really the GPA thing. I read this:

"The faculty encourages applications from citizens of other foreign countries and offers admission to a number of such students each year (...) The majority of applicants have usually undertaken some or all of their undergraduate studies in Canadian or US colleges."

So, waht I understadn is: yes I can apply and it's not just because the majority of the internationalk ones have studied oin Canada and US that it menas they don't accept foreigners who haven't, it is not stated objectivel this way.

In 2002, i travlled to montreal and spoke to Marlene Kristian from the admissions office and according to her, yes there is no problem that I've done all my undergrad in Brazil ... but then I asked about the GPA conversion and she said she really didn't know, but that I should have a "quality" chart on my trasncript, like "6-7 good, 7-8 very good,8-9 excellent etc..." she said it would have to be qualitative. Although here we do not have that, I've spoken to my dean and he says he can ask for an authorization from the principal to do so and he thinks it is really likely, i would fall under the category, or between very good and excellent ...

And i was wondering, one of my referees is a professor who lived and worked for 20 years as head of department at Heidelberg University and now he teaches at my school and he's my sceintific coordinator, ayt the lab, and he considers my grades impressive, do you think if he states that on the letters it would help? Plus, my other referree (non-academic) is a US citizen from Bosotn who studied in Massach and California, and has a PhD and she also considers my grades great because she gave classes at a brazilian university and she knows ourt standard ... agaain, would her statement help? Without mentioning the atatemtn form my professors, they all really get pissed off when i say my grades are not enough for McGill, because they stand out at USP (University of Sao paulo)

About USP being or not recognized, well ata recent poll it was considered the greatest center of excelence in teching and research in latin america. We have 5 honris causae professors who are brazilian, teach here but earned this title form Sorbonne, and Levi Strauss taught her, so did Roger Bastide and many others like Dobzansky. Our school got the cover stoery of Nature for the complete sequencing of the genome of several agricultural pests of economic interest.

We even have a trasnfer program with McGill (Physics department) ... nad we have the only brazialans that were ever to be nominated for the Nobel (one "almost""" won, for descovering bradicinine and the other for descovering quark particules in callaboration (Cesar Lattes).

And to finally finish my statemnts, well, a professor at McGill, Eduardo L. Franco (cancer epidemiology) who is brazialain and studied here, is a full professor there and has received major honorific prizzes from France, Canada and the States. He sudied at a university that is rival to USP and easier to get in.

Well Ian, I'm not trying to just throw data at you to sound "prospective" i just weant you to reconsider waht u said based on these facts and tell me your opinion, if there is SOME way to make myself get through as not that unusual .... :\

Thank u again for your valuable help

Cheers

LuKa

Sorry Ian, forgot to say that I herad form McGill meds that McGill uses the OMSAS conversion chart, and so says this book i bought (Black Book, Brett Ferdinand)

according to it, I would figure with a 3.7 and i still have one more year to go and improve it ...

I know the chart is for canadain applicants through OMSAS who COME from McGill, but still, is there a chance that it could be a source of comparison by the admisison office?

And second .... many mcgill meds have stared that there are people who pass mcgill with 3.4, 3.3 and 3.5 and even with 29,28 /30 MCAT, if it is so, i'm sure the cut offs are not computerized ... i figure interviews, extrtacurr and letters have a nice weight ... ???

Salut noncestvrai,

I'm really sorry if my reply to you sounded sarcastic and harsh ... but I have to be honest and say that I felt you were taking me for granted, you know, as if I were the "chicano" in pursuit of the north-american dream. .... and it's not the fact ... i'm sorry if it wasn't what u mean .... maybe i'm so used to be "unusual", even im my brazilian context that i may sound constantly suspicious ...

I don't want to live in the US or Canada, I jsut want to study at McGill, if it were located in Dacca, Bangladesh, that is where i'd be heading to ... i got really impressed by the fact that they consider personal qualities in the select process (here, jsut grades.. no interview, no statemnts, no letters, no extras) and that they have such a terrific thematic curriculum and top notch research, I originally got to know McGill cuz of neuroscience, my area of study. I was also impressed with the rumors that med mcgill was very humanisitic in its essence and vanguardist (in the good sense).

It's a choice I made in 1998, once i came back to Brazil (I was living in Sweden and Algeria for 15 years) adn its really a principle, a commitment, for me medicine has never been a choice or an option, or a career, but really a cause, a commitment, i believe the power that medicne has (mainly public health and humanitarian medicine) to perform social and political change ... to me medicine is more than health ... and i thought mcgill's phylosophy shared this principle with me, and when i heard of it, it was like a vision, it all fitted ....

Let me shut up and stop bothering you, you've alrteady been so attentionate despite my rudeness ....

Best,

LuKa

Guest Scottish Chap

Luka:

I read your post once and very quickly, but I have the feeling that your biggest concern is McGill not understanding or appreciating the education system that you're currently enrolled in and, furthermore, you're worried that they may not be able to judge your preparation for medical school.

There is a very easy way to solve this and usually only international students like myself would know the answer. You should have your foreign transcript evaluated by the World Education Service in Canada. Their url is:www.wes.org/ca/

For a fee, they have personnel who will evaluate your degree on a course-by-course basis and assign a Canadian GPA equivalent. I've heard one person complain that it was not as "high" as they thought it should be. I come from a country that does not use the "GPA" system (the U.K.) and I used the WES conversion. They will also work out how many equivalent Canadian credits you have completed. It tuned out fine and I was hardly the top of my undergraduate school! You will have to ask your undergraduate institution to send an official transcript to WES, who will forward an official 'converted' transcript to the medical school(s) of your choice. I hope this missive is somewhat helpful. The very best of luck to you. You'll be just fine. :)

Guest noncestvrai

Luka,

It is quite interesting that you mention neurosciences at McGill since I am a graduate student in Neurological Sciences at McGill, specifically at the Montreal Neurological Institute. Indeed, research in neurosciences at McGill is outstanding, and we have great facilities for research. Remember Drs. Brenda Milner and Wilder Penfield..., the former even taught me a class in the med curriculum, she's like 85? (I was taking a neuro unit, as a grad student).

Thus if you are interested in research, the Faculty of medicine's Neurological Sciences programme may be good for you, even as a MD/PhD student.

I also believe that the med programme is great.

I sincerely wish you luck, chico.

noncestvrai

Hi,

Based on your talk with the admissions office, your GPA might not be a problem after all. I would follow up and take McGill's advice about explaining your grades qualitatively and apply and see what happens. Just make sure you have a back up plan like everyone else on this board has/should have in case they don't get accepted the first time around. :\

Hi there scottish chap,

Thank you very very much for the info, i really didn't know about it, and i'm sure it will help me a lot, i've been skimming through their site and it sure came out very handy ...

Thank you for understanding so clearly what my major concerns were :)

Do you still think it is wise to ask my dean to right a letter to attach with the transcript stating what my grade represents qualitatively here? And do you think I should also see with them if it is possible to create a "mini comitee" on this issue to convert to a GPA themselves? (for we have summer programs and graduate joint courses with McGill - there are some professores who lecture as visitants - there is a possibility that they'll open an exception, afterall they have been pretty comprehensible).

Well anyway, now that you've presented me with a massive backup plan, i can start to sleep properly ...

Thx again and...

Best of luck to you too!!!

LuKa

Hey noncestvrai,

Yeah, what struck me was this extensive sunny history on the neurosciences ... I'm fascinated by the work u guys do at MNI.

Yes, Brenda seems to be a very old and sweet lady :)

a pitty Kandel got the best of it huh...

I work for a neuroscience lab, with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and specially Alzheimer's (I had studied basic science of memory formation before) we are creating a new drug that blocks an enzyme involved with phospholipid metabolism that confers biophsical caracteristics to the cell membrane (fluidity, viscosity) and to the major component of the extracellular matrix ... it is envolved in the formation of long term potentiation as well as inflammatory response (via prostaglandins and leukotriens) which is beautiful since both memory impariment and inflammation are solid ethiological theories of AD ... we found out that arachidonic acid has a major function in memory processing in the rat hippocampus ....

Well, whatever, but it has been a great experience, and it sounds very promising.

I also work for an interdisciplinary lab for social research in public health and I founded a student NGO that promotes and develops volunteer and political actions in favour of indigenous populations (amerindians), ex-slave fortresses (quilombos) and landless workers. This year we are going to the Amazon to work with 5 different ethnic groups (epidemiological diagnosis, prevention and education).

I am also very interested in ethnopsychiatry and AMAZINGLY McGill has a department just for that that outside France is the best one - that's why I always think McGill is so fit for me ...

Well, nice to hear from you again

Thx for all the help :D

Hope to hear from you more.

Take care,

LuKa

Guest Scottish Chap

Dear Luka,

It can't hurt and there are of course always exceptions to every rule that I’m not qualified to comment on. To be frank, I'd be surprised if the admissions committee entertain a 'private meeting', given the magnitude of well-qualified Canadian applicants that they see every year. Also, in the interest of uniformity and, to be fair to the other applicants, I'm certain that a professional transcript conversion by WES is the right thing to do. It's costly, I know, but it'll be worth it if this is what you really want to do.

Sleep peacefully, my friend,

SC

Hi SC,

Yeah, you are right ...

I am definitely going to count on WES primarily...

But I guess it doesn't hurt to send them EVERY thing I have, I'm just so concerned to fail due to lack of proof ... afterall I've put 6 years of dedication into it, as have most applicant I guess .. it's just so hard to get people to see you as non-convensional without having the stigma that's you are trying to sound special or worthier of attention ... I supposed McGill alreafdy aknowledges this "non-convensionality" since they have specific requiremtns for international applicant, like letter to state you can practice in your country etc ...

Thanks to you and to all the great people who visit and help, I am certainly starting to sleep |I better .. :P

Thank you.

LuKa

Hi everyone ...

I'm sorry to be such a pain, but I've got some more doubts ...

I heard that there are reports unconfirmed by the Faculty, that the GPA may be adjusted by a small fraction (i.e. 0.1-0.3 out of 5 - after the assignment of a score out of 5 for each item of the formula) for students whose grades are increasing over time, whose program's difficulty is greater than the norm (including majors, honors - detail: here we don't have majors, minors or honors .... DAMN IT!!), and for graduate students who expect to compelte their degree prior to admission.

Is this true?

Anbd prior to admission is admission in the sense of début des classes right, like matriculation, in august the actual first month of classes, not admission as in date you apply .. ????

And more, i heard the formula for admission is a score out of 5 for 6 items (GPA, MCAT, autobiographical letter, letters of referees, plus two one-on-one interviews sum up 30)

I was wondering, if you meet all the cut-offs, what grade out of 30 should you expect to have to be a strong applicant?

Thank you once more ....

Cheers to all

;)

LuKa

Salut!

I would like to know more about the formula for classification of applicants .... according to waht i've heard, it sums up to 30 (6 categories worth 5 points each).

Is this accurate?

Thx ..

:D

LuKa

Guest medicator007

Hey Luka,

From what I can see you've been given some good advice above so I wont reiterate what's already been said.

As for the formulae, to the best of my knowledge McGill has never officially released the exact manner in which they evaluate their applicants; neither for issuing interviews nor acceptances. Thus it would be pure speculation for me to try and answer that. (though the formula you allude to has been speculated numerous times before ;) )

That being said, in my opinion, it really is a waste of time pondering the exact formula. The ONLY way to know for sure if you will be accepted is to apply. From what i read above you seem to have a solid GPA, wide range of extracurricular and volunteer work in health care. You say you are planning on writing the MCAT soon in Peurto Rico, so my advice would be to study like a madman and bang out a solid score which can only serve to help your application cause.

I am sorry if I am being a little blunt here, but that's my nature. Luka, it seems that attending McGill medicine is your dream and I commend you for working so hard for it. Don't stress over things that are beyond your control, focus on that which you can.... put together the best application you can possible muster and let the chips fall where they may!

Cheers and Good Luck,

Medicator

Dear Medicator (and you all...)

I am certain that out of all the posts with replies I've recieved, yours is the one that identified the major issue with accuracy and sensitivity.

You are extremely right when you say I am stressing over things that are out of my control. I have planned and strived for this so long and made so many concessions and committed to so much (as most applicants do) and the uncertainties never really seemed to affect me.

Now, thanks to you, I see that I was really suffering by anticipation, I am being too anxious and trying to identify all the possible barriers, and being really negative about them.

Thank you so much for the great help you gave me and thank you all that have kindly posted attentionately.

I guess the best outcome I recieve from all this is that the personal nature of McGill meds is another, if not one of the best, strong point about McGill. Afterall, we also learn important values that are particularly useful to medical education from our peers, and I am sure that if I am blessed enough to get accepted, I will be equally blessed being in the presence of you all, and all the other McGill meds to come.

I honestly hope all the best for you guys.

Thank you.

LuKa

Guest medicator007

My pleasure and I am glad that I was able to be of some assistance to you on this matter.

I am glad that you view McGill in such a favourable light; from a totally biased perspective it is a fabulous institution with so much to offer... but as I said in my other thread, in my opinion the same can be said for EVERY other medical school in the country, its really just a matter of finding which school fits best with you (and also which one you can get accepted to :lol )

Good Luck with the long application process and if you have any other questions please feel free to post them here and I (and others im sure) would be more than happy to try and answer them.

Cheers,

Medicator

Hey Scottish Chap!!!

How are u?

I contacted WES and I asked them if there is a way to know our conversion prior to actually accepting the full service (I was concerned about what you said - that they tend to convert to lower grades than expected) ... and ... NO DEAL!!! hehheh i thought so ....

So, my doubt to you is: Do you think I should:

- Use WES even if I get a lower GPA;

or

- Try a conversion by my university here based on professors that have given classes abroad (like a comission to judge a conversion)

or

- Just send my grades on the original scale (0-10) and hope for the best???

Thank you :)

Best,

LuKa

Guest Scottish Chap

LukaBR,

You must, must, must have the WES conversion done - regardless of what else you try to do. This is essential. When they convert your degree to a Canadian GPA equivalent, it will likely not be as high as you’d like, but it’s still the right thing to do. This, sadly, is one of the drawbacks of seeking education overseas. Your previous degree and the quality of it will be appreciated and understood best in your own country. If you want to study in medicine Canada, you will have to play by their rules. If you keep bothering McGill about alternative media for transcript evaluation, that may upset the admissions committee. With WES, it's an official channel and it will take care of everything quickly. Good luck

SC

• 2 years later...

Archived