Premed 101 Forums

Beats by Dr. Dre

md-equation

Are the beats headphones worth the buy?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are the beats headphones worth the buy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Are you insane? 300-500$!?!

Are these headphones worth the buy? Is the hype behind them really due to the celebrity status they have gained or really because of their performance? In particular is Beats Studio or Pro worth the 350-500$? Those that may have beats, how is the bass, sound quality, and noise cancellation? Are beats studio Wireless? I have read a lot of reviews that give me the impression, that they have over powered bass and leak music, and sometimes uncomfortable. Can anyone here confirm it? Any other brand you guys would recommend? Thanks for the input!

Don't buy them. They're incredibly overpriced.

If you are big into acoustics and want solid headphones in that price range, avoid the Beats and Bose. They both distort the raw mix of what you hear in an attempt to color up the sound (the lower shelf on the Beats as you mentioned, and the low-middle frequencies on Bose). Sennheisers and KRKs are better options.

If you just want a decent pair of headphones that will be similar to the Beats (enhancing what you hear), just buy a pair that are $150 max from Sony, or the Bose ones are ok for that purpose also.

DO NOT BUY ANY BOSE OR BEATS (monster.. useless company) PRODUCTS!!!!

If you're looking for a pair of headphones shoot me a PM and we can discuss them more. (I've owned 5 pairs of (real) headphones with friends having several more so I know what im talking when it comes to getting you the right pair for your money and needs)

I was torn between the Beats by Dre and the top line Bose, theyre both around 400... I would say the Beats is slightly better sound quality for Bass, whereas the Bose noise cancelling is unrivalled and the acoustics were generally better overall, plus the ergonomics were awesome (which is good if your on a plane, coffeeshop, library, etc.). You can't go wrong either way, but I dropped 400 on the Bose and still think it was worth every penny, they're my babies.

I would highly recommend Beats for full over-ear headphones, but not their in-ear models. They are one of the highest rated full headphones commercially available. Check out this model, which is the one I bought last year: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/14241-beats-dr-dre-headphones-review-8.html

Goes for $350 at futureshop.

I don't know if the people that said no to them actually used any high end Beats models for an extended period of time to pass judgement. Most professional reviewers love the over-ear Beats models. It's not just celebrity marketing.

If you're looking for high quality in-ear models, I would recommend Shure. I own their SE535 in-ear model and it sounds just as good as the Beats over-year model. Killer bass for their size.

i just use the 9.99 sony earbuds from walmart, they seem to do the trick.. If you want to invest in a sound system, bose is actually worth the price if you love music and like to blare it in your house when no-one is home, i bought a bose stereo and the sound is so crisp yet it can deliver

DO NOT BUY ANY BOSE OR BEATS (monster.. useless company) PRODUCTS!!!!

If you're looking for a pair of headphones shoot me a PM and we can discuss them more. (I've owned 5 pairs of (real) headphones with friends having several more so I know what im talking when it comes to getting you the right pair for your money and needs)

agreed! overpriced and overrated!

i just use the 9.99 sony earbuds from walmart' date=' they seem to do the trick.. If you want to invest in a sound system, bose is actually worth the price if you love music and like to blare it in your house when no-one is home, i bought a bose stereo and the sound is so crisp yet it can deliver[/quote']

harman kardon

lol my ears aren't sophisticated enough to deserve getting a 350$ pair of headphones. In any case, I have really thin ear drums and noise projected directly into my ear canal (aka via headphones) gives me a moderate degree of discomfort. Hence, my preference for a large sound system. The only problem is that those aren't very practical if you live in an apartment complex lol

Goes for $350 at futureshop.

I don't know if the people that said no to them actually used any high end Beats models for an extended period of time to pass judgement. Most professional reviewers love the over-ear Beats models. It's not just celebrity marketing

.... Yes I have. This is not a question of whether or not they're "good" headphones (in all honesty they're not the best but they'll get the job done) its an issue with the ludicrous price you just paid for a pair of mediocre cans.

As for your professional reviewers.. :confused: soundcard, soundcard, soundcard, soundcard, beats, speaker, soundcard, gamer headset...

It'd help your case to link to an audiophile review website.

If you've already decided on spending that much money on headphones, definitely do not go for the Dre... I've compared them with the Bose QuietComfort 15 and they are superior in terms of acoustic quality and noise-cancelling.

I'm not sure of what else there is in terms of competition but afaik, Bose is generally one of the best names out there.

...Bose is generally one of the best names out there.
Considered by who? Sites and communities dedicated to audiophiles and audiophiles themselves will attest that Bose is just as overpriced as Dre Beats. With Bose and Beats, you pay for the name more than anything.

Considered by who? Sites and communities dedicated to audiophiles and audiophiles themselves will attest that Bose is just as overpriced as Dre Beats. With Bose and Beats, you pay for the name more than anything.

Haha well I'm by no means an audiophile so I suppose not then.

I was speaking anecdotally.

Yes, both beats and bose produce above average sound quality. This is because "average" has now become built in laptop speakers, 2.1 speakers with a teeny tiny sub, and iBuds.

The cost of them, however, is ludicrous. ANYTHING Bose, or Monster (the company that makes beats headphones) can be bought SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper for the same quality if you look to other brands.

At the price you pay for these products there are many far superior options. I hope this clarifies the whole "Beats and Bose suck" debacle. Yes they make good sound. No, its not good for the price. At all.

EDIT: I didn't feel like making a whole new post to reply to anxious again. I can only say the same thing so many different ways... i give up.

You have to realize that for the majority of people, the difference in quality between a $30-50 headphones and one that $100+ is hardly justified - or even discernible. Most people will easily pick out a $50 set as being better than a $10 one, but ask most people to distinguish between a $200 and a good $50 set on a standard mp3 file played through their smartphones - it's a toss-up almost.

I have no experience with Bose, but I have owned many high-end headphones in the past. The Beats definitely sit at the top in terms of quality and comfort for over-the-ear models. As I said before, I also own the universally acclaimed Shure SE535 headphones, which cost even more than the Beats, and the Beats sound just as good if not better because of the noise-isolation. I also listen to a variety of music genres, so I am not biased by any one type of music listening.

The price to quality justification in the $200+ range for headphones is certainly a matter of debate. No doubt, Beats is riding a wave of popularity and a price markup due to the likes of Lebron James, P. Diddy and even HP officially endorsing their models. But the quality is definitely there to back it up, IMO.

Archived