Premed 101 Forums

The History of Controversial Popular Music

Nathan

Hey everyone,

I'm taking a course at the U of A called Introduction to Popular Music (as I study for the MCAT). It has to be one of the most interesting course that I've ever taken. It really makes you gain an appreciation or at least an understanding of different genres of music.

I though I'd list a few songs. If you have the time, have a listen and let me know if you know of any other songs that are controversial or particularly culturally significant.

1. Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

Released in 1969, this psychedelic/acid rock song definitely fits within the genre classification. The lead singer essentially describes Alice in Wonderland on a mushroom trip. Listed on Rolling Stones' 500 Best Songs of All Time.

2. Madonna - Like A Prayer

Whether you like Madonna for whatever reason or not, this has to be the ultimate epitome of a pop song. What's most interesting is the video - stigmata on her hands, fantasies of sex with a black priest, Madonna gyrating on her knees with her cleavage hanging out in the middle of a black church choir, burning crosses, and of course, a storyline in which a black man is framed for murder. This song was condemned by the Vatican when it was released in 1989. Also, Madonna signed a deal with Pepsi in which they paid her five million dollars and agreed to sponsor her world tour in exchange for use of the song and the appearance of Madonna in a Pepsi commercial. As she was the second most famous artist after Michael Jackson at that time, this was the ultimate commercial scheme. Unfortunately, Pepsi did not see her actual music video, which was released one day after the family friendly Pepsi commercial. Of course, this caused a controversy and Pepsi dropped their sponsorship although she kept the five million. An ingenious story of taking down a corporation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMCbtyBdZZ4

3. Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner (live at Woodstock)

This 1969 song is bursting with electric guitar allusion. The song is intentionally played to sound like bombs dropping and explosions (just listen from 0:50-1:00). At that time, the Vietnam war was still going on and it seemed that many Americans had grown weary of the continual conflict. This performance is epic.

4. Grandmaster Flash - The Message

This 1982 song is one of the first politically-motivated rap songs. Also one of the most influential rap songs of all time. The lyrics are so sick, especially in the second half. Make sure that you watch at least the second half if you so choose.

I had never listened to Jefferson Airplane, Madonna, or Jimi Hendrix before this class. Let me know what you think and if you of any other interesting songs!

In no particular order:

Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen

California Dreamin'- The Mamas & The Papas

House of the Rising Sun- The Animals

Free Fallin'- Tom Petty

White Rabbit- Jefferson Airplane

Bonus: The Sorcerer's Apprentice (orchestra)- Paul Abraham Dukas

I posted this in a thread about songs you can listen to for years. I don't really have anything to add to this thread, I just thought it was neat that there was another Jefferson Airplane reference on pm101.

Here's a few for you. Sadly, I'm giving away my age here.

1) Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. This song was banned by the BBC for being obscene. Of course this only increased its popularity. The really funny thing is that the record label insisted that the band claim repeatedly and vociferously that the song was not about sex. The lyrics go, "Relax don't do it when you want to go to it. Relax don't do it when you want to cum". Denying that it was about sex was truly ridiculous. There are 2 videos for the song: a rude one that was removed from circulation:

and a cleaner remake that is the generally recognized video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyl5DlrsU90

2) The album "Age of Consent" by Bronski Beat. BB was an openly gay band in the homophobic 80's. The liner notes in the European release of the album listed the age of consent for legal homosexual activity in all the European countries. That was enough to get the album banned in many placed in Europe. The Canadian release did not contain the 'offending' information. It was a great album though. Check out this song:

3) Six Months in a Leaky Boat -- Split Enz

The song came out when Britain was involved in the Fawklin Islands war. As far as I can tell the song is completely inoffensive but for some reason the British government decided it was an anti-war song and banned it. Needless to say, that helped its popularity.

4) Stairway to Heaven -- Led Zeppelin

This one is probably too obvious. It became very controversial when someone discovered that if you play the song backwards it appears to contain Satanic messages. Here's the song forward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKg4g9zMeHI

and here it is backwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBkWRAU_p50

I took the same course when I did my undergrad at a different university. It was called "History of Popular Music since 1945". Fascinating and interesting and fun course, I am glad that other schools offer the same or similar. It is actually a good course to take during a science-heavy semester, because it is so different and not at all a drag to study. You are smart to take it during the summer session while studying for the MCAT.

I have nother else to add except that I am glad you are getting exposed to some great music from the past. I really think that pop music peaked in the early-mid 90s and hasn't been that great since...

Archived