Premed 101 Forums

Few hours before the exam....

zunik

When I write it on Thursday, I'm going to wake up at 5:30 (for an 8 am administration). I'm planning on eating a large fiber and protein heavy breakfast (I'll bring light snacks to eat on my break). I'm going to groove to my ipod until I have to write. I'm planning on leaving at around 6:30 to get to my testing location by 7:30 (rush hour in Calgary is always happy fun times).

When I write it on Thursday, I'm going to wake up at 5:30 (for an 8 am administration). I'm planning on eating a large fiber and protein heavy breakfast (I'll bring light snacks to eat on my break). I'm going to groove to my ipod until I have to write. I'm planning on leaving at around 6:30 to get to my testing location by 7:30 (rush hour in Calgary is always happy fun times).

Why are you eating protein? Won't that make you drowsy?

Why are you eating protein? Won't that make you drowsy?

Proteins will give the sensation of being full for a bit longer, however it also increases your metabolism throughout the day which could ultimately make you starving by lunch time.

I'd recommend you have some complex carbs as well, personally I'm bringing those Gatorade pre-game drinks for my break. I can't describe them, but they're basically a pack of gatorade (with minimal fluid) but loaded with carbohydrates.

I have the bladder of a 5 year old so I gotta be careful with the fluids haha.

What are you guys wearing? I've got the feeling that I'm going to wear something light as most forums indicate a really hot exam room. You never hear of a freezing room, so I'm sticking to the lighter side.

What are you guys wearing? I've got the feeling that I'm going to wear something light as most forums indicate a really hot exam room. You never hear of a freezing room, so I'm sticking to the lighter side.

be prepared for any temperature range - my place had me sit right in front of the main AC unit and I froze for 5 hours when I wrote. You just never know :)

Oatmeal for breakfast: good energy, sticks to the ribs. Brought a book and a coffee, went to test site early, read book and drank coffee. Tried not to think about the test until it started.

And rmorelan is totally right. Bring a sweater, wear a t-shirt; be prepared to bake or freeze.

I woke up at 5:30 for my 8am test. I did my normal morning stuff and went out for breakfast at my favorite resturaunt, which was by my testing centre. I ate a big breakfast (I had done a practice test after a big breakfast to test it out and it went well). I brought a book and got to my test centre 50 minutes before the test. I read a novel to distract myself.

I packed snacks for the test and made myself eat on breaks and walk around (granola bars and fruit). Being early was really helpful, as the people that arrived after me checked in way later. Some people still hadn't checked in when I was on my break after the PS section.

I wrote my test at the downtown Calgary location. It was pretty warm, but I dressed in layers and managed to make myself comfortable.

I'd bring but save for near the end when running out of steam.

Yeah definitely don't chug a red bull before starting the exam. You'll just feel burnt out part way through.

Also, I'd wear some basketball shorts or something under some sweatpants, wear a tee, and bring a hoodie. If it's hot, you're in basketball shorts and a tee, and if it's cold, put the hoodie and sweats on. I've heard horror stories from both ends of the temperature spectrum, so just be ready for that.

I personally found I was so engrossed in the test though that I could block out temperature and anything else going on. It was freezing where I wrote, but I actually find the cold probably makes me more alert and awake!

Archived