Premed 101 Forums

Same old Masters vs. 2nd UG

How to make the decision properly?

I graduated from UBC in 2010 with a Bachelor of Human Kinetics - my overall GPA is 77% (3.30) ... Prerequisites is 70% (3.0).

I know, I know, low ... I struggled with some pretty serious emotional stuff during my UG and I know now I will have to pay for it. I have figured out my stuff if you will and I am ready to really go for it because I am 100% positive Medicine is what I want.

NAQ's include:

- Research Coordinator and Research Assistant at VGH - Clinic (2009-2011)

- Resident Advisor/Social Coordinator - Vancouver Campus (2009-2011)

- Administrative Assistant at NGO Project HANDS in Guatemala (May 2011)

- Child Life Volunteer at BC Childrens Hospital (6 months between 2010-2011)

- Assistant Director of Intramural Leagues at UBCREC (2008-2009)

- ER & Diagnostic Imaging Volunteer at CGMH (2006 during Highschool, also summer 2008)

- Shadowed:

Dr. Masri, Head of Ortho at VGH & UBC (2010)

Dr. Mosher, Plastic Surgeon (2011)

Dr. Pahal, Surgeon (2011)

Dr. Lukauskis, Anesthesiologist (2011)

Dr. Maryniak, Anesthesiologist (2011)

I am in the process of writing my MCAT - August 23rd I go full tilt. I am finished all the course material at the end of this week and have 2-3 weeks of purely practise tests/overviewing etc. Fingers crossed.

But I need advice on what to do if it doesn't pan out this year. I am applying everywhere in Ontario and to UBC and perhaps several Californian schools.

I am also debating on applying for a:

MPH at UBC

MPT at UBC

M.Sc. in Nutrition

I am 23 years old - and realize that in order to do this - I am going to need to give about two more years. It's what I want for certain, so I am just unaware of the best way to get there. Masters or 2nd UG?

Sorry - I know this is repetitive - direct me to the appropriate source and I would love it!

Thanks so much in advance!

I should mention - I am gunning for UBC !! Will go anywhere - but my heart lies in Vancouver haha :)

With the GPA, I'd recommend a second degree. A Masters is only helpful if (I think at least) your GPA is 3.7~+. With a 3.0 you should get a second degree and do well in it

Hey glad to here you are back on your feet and -

Yeah that UG GPA is going to hold you back until it is corrected. A masters generally can serve as some nice icing on top of the cake but you still need the cake (ok that was a bad analogy) Now with transfer credits you can very likely get a second degree though in two years which can also be quite useful.

I agree with what everyone else has said. Since your UG GPA is on the low side, a second degree (which you can probably complete in two years due to transfer credits) would be your best bet at this point. A grad degree, with your UG GPA, would only help out at a very limited number of schools at this point.

This might be a little silly - but would the best way to go about this - be to get in touch with advisors?

It's so daunting to pick a second degree that I am going to like

and attain a high GPA in.

Can someone recommend a thread that would help me make some decisions about 2nd UG degree ideas?

Being a science kid of so long makes me nervous to go into anything but science - but I am aware that it's difficult to do well in.

Yikes!

This might be a little silly - but would the best way to go about this - be to get in touch with advisors?

Can someone recommend a thread that would help me make some decisions about 2nd UG degree ideas?

Being a science kid of so long makes me nervous to go into anything but science - but I am aware that it's difficult to do well in.

Yikes!

Yeah the first step is definitely some soul searching to see if there are other areas you can do both well in and are of interest to you. Sometimes it is possible to do a second science degree as well, but in any case it would be nice if the new degree backed up some other aspect of your plans (being med or as a backup)

and yeah you have to meet with your advisor shortly. You need their thoughts on programs, and find out what you can take. Often your premed society (if there is on) can be a huge help in that regard as well they would have collective wisdom on what degrees may be best.

Yikes!

A lot of people choose something that will allow them to pursue some sort of career should they not make it into medicine after multiple tries. So "professional" degrees, such as dietetics or nursing are popular (nursing is problematic, however, due to the large number of pass/fail courses). Others pursue kinsesiology/human kinetics, which will allow one to practice as a kinesiologist. Still others simply choose something non-traditional, but something that they are passionate about and that they feel they can do well in (ie. classics). Others choose something health-related that they feel they can do well in (psychology and health science/health studies seem to be popular choices). It all comes down to you, where your strengths lie, and what you want to do, should you not make it into medicine after multiple tries in Canada (pursue something else, go international, etc.)?

Personally, my plan, had I not made it into medicine this year, was either to do a second degree in dietetics or to pursue a Masters in physical therapy. But both of those options cover many of my passions: I'm a part-time group fitness instructor with a real interest in nutrition, so working as either a physical therapist or dietitian was something I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. Your passions probably lie elsewhere, so your choices will be different.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the fabulous advice.

In terms of the 2nd UG degree - I have a couple of ideas.

The only thing I am wondering -- what if my transferred marks that will be carried over are poor?

I.e. If I took a 2nd UG degree in Nutritional Sciences - a lot of the courses I did poorly on are prerequisites for this degree.

Do you know what I am asking?

In regards to the Masters route - the icing on the cake. Even if its a course-based Masters program with a practicum - it wouldn't have the same effect has a 2nd UG?

Why is this? Due to the difficulty level of a 2nd degree?

Thanks so much for all of your helpful advice. It's really helped me make some pretty serious decisions about this process :)

Cheers!

Regardless of the type of Masters you do, a second UG is usually better just because how heavily GPA is looked at for your UG years. Even if you have a 4 in grad school but a 3 in undergrad, it will pose problems for you. Masters only helps you when you need more research experience. Marks from Masters, or PhD, don't count

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the fabulous advice.

In terms of the 2nd UG degree - I have a couple of ideas.

The only thing I am wondering -- what if my transferred marks that will be carried over are poor?

I.e. If I took a 2nd UG degree in Nutritional Sciences - a lot of the courses I did poorly on are prerequisites for this degree.

Do you know what I am asking?

In regards to the Masters route - the icing on the cake. Even if its a course-based Masters program with a practicum - it wouldn't have the same effect has a 2nd UG?

Why is this? Due to the difficulty level of a 2nd degree?

Thanks so much for all of your helpful advice. It's really helped me make some pretty serious decisions about this process :)

Cheers!

I just actually finished my second degree in nutrition, and starting my dietetic internship in the fall, so I can comment on this a little. The 2nd undergrad is better because a lot of schools will take your second degree, or last two years, best two years (which would be your second degree hopefully), so it gives you the ability to increase your gpa. With a master's route....it's different at each school, but for the most part your undergrad gpa is still used, and then doing a master's just gives an extra thing you've done (as said before...the icing on the cake). If you need to correct your GPA, I'd say go for the second degree. Also, it's not that a second degree is harder....it's just that someone taking a full time undergrad degree is more of an equal playing field for them to compare people. Master's program grades are harder for them to compare (because you might be taking only 1 course at a time, the programs aren't set up to be 5 full time courses a year, etc.) Even course-based master's programs...they can never erase your undergrad GPA, whereas a 2nd UG possibly could.

Also in response to the transferred marks....they transfer w/out a mark. They did for me anyways. For me they transferred over 20 credits (they just show up as transfer credits on my transcript....there are no marks associated with them) and then I needed to get 20 more credits to get my second degree. So even though you might have low prereqs marks, it won't show up on your second degree --- the only marks that show up on your second degree are the ones that you earn during that degree. Does that answer your question?? You can PM if you have any more questions.

I agree with sunshinesky101. Many schools will only consider your last three full academic years. With a good life history and a kick-as$ MCAT score, if you can show academic improvement, which suggest maturity, you will be able to impress the selection committee.

Best of luck to you.

Archived