Premed 101 Forums

Please rate my EC /25

Hey! I know that no one except the admission officers know exactly how to evaluate the EC,but it is my first time applying,so I just hope someone is kind enough to give me a rough idea of what to expect. College: 1 summer full time paid research with 2 publications. Volunteer with heart and stroke foundation for 2 years. Hospital volunteer( with patient contact) started just April Tutor for one summer(SAT,science..). One university scholarship. High school: hospital volunteering( similar to what I did in college). President of a city council youth group

Hey! I know that no one except the admission officers know exactly how to evaluate the EC...
Exactly. Anywhere from 1-20+ depending on how you word your activities. It's virtually impossible for anyone outside the admissions committee to score you and anything otherwise would just lull you into a false sense of security.

Umm first of all I dont get this whole thing of people posting their ECs and expecting an exact answer from other premeds (and in your case also posting your name and grades)

Also as previously mentioned NO ONE here can give you an exact answer as no one here knows how UBC grades it. At the end of the day all you can do is just do your best to do what you think is beneficial to you and your interests and just hope that UBC Med would view that positively.

I think Mithrill is exactly right, that any response from people here would just give you a false sense of security (which is what I think you are looking for).

Also, AQ is based on the adjusted GPA from what I understand and if you have a 92 I would not worry about the AQ too much.

Re the Pubs I do think/ hope that they help but dont think that just because you have 2 publications you are automatically 10+ because I do not personally think that they show a well rounded student eventhough my application is also unfortunately centered around research as well.

Agreed with what everyone has said here. With what you have described, I would say you are likely to score only 12 at most. To be blunt, I think your resume is pretty weak - other than publications (first author?) and 2 years volunteering with heart and stroke (what kind of positions?), nothing stands out at all from your list, not to mention that your list is short and narrow and does not demonstrate commitment. If you look at the acceptance/interview thread, you'll see that most applicants, including those who are rejected, generally have a pretty well-rounded resume and decent gpa. If you have 90+ gpa, you'll probably get an interview regardless of your NAQ score. If you have low 80s gpa, then you probably need to beef up your resume. Sorry to sound harsh but I assume you are looking for a honest answer.

Thanks! I would say 14-15 ish? I thought the publication might help a bit. And also,do you know is the AQ for this year is entirely based on GPA?( mine s around 92)

the pre-interview portion of the AQ this year, as they have mentioned in their blog, will be made up of entirely your cGPA or your adjusted cGPA.

What year are you? If you have a 92% average then and you are IP, don't worry too much about your NAQ like others have said. Based on last year's numbers, you really don't need that high of a NAQ for an interview.

OOP, might be a different story

the pre-interview portion of the AQ this year, as they have mentioned in their blog, will be made up of entirely your cGPA or your adjusted cGPA.

What year are you? If you have a 92% average then and you are IP, don't worry too much about your NAQ like others have said. Based on last year's numbers, you really don't need that high of a NAQ for an interview.

OOP, might be a different story

I still need to check with UBC about residency definition. I came to Canada the July before grade 9 ( to Vancouver) and graduated 4 years later from an IB program ,and then moved Ontario for university. However,my stay at BC s a little short of 4 years( due to vacations). I dunno if I still count as a BC resident.

I still need to check with UBC about residency definition. I came to Canada the July before grade 9 ( to Vancouver) and graduated 4 years later from an IB program ,and then moved Ontario for university. However,my stay at BC s a little short of 4 years( due to vacations). I dunno if I still count as a BC resident.

You should be fine.

I would say you are likely to score only 12 at most.

Nah you should definitely score more than 12 with this. I would say between 12-16 probably closer to the 12 than the 16. Definitely more than 10, very few people score less than 10 I believe.

Agreed with what everyone has said here. With what you have described, I would say you are likely to score only 12 at most. To be blunt, I think your resume is pretty weak - other than publications (first author?) and 2 years volunteering with heart and stroke (what kind of positions?), nothing stands out at all from your list, not to mention that your list is short and narrow and does not demonstrate commitment. If you look at the acceptance/interview thread, you'll see that most applicants, including those who are rejected, generally have a pretty well-rounded resume and decent gpa. If you have 90+ gpa, you'll probably get an interview regardless of your NAQ score. If you have low 80s gpa, then you probably need to beef up your resume. Sorry to sound harsh but I assume you are looking for a honest answer.

Thanks for your honest reply! I was not expecting much from my NAQ,as I was more focused on academic performance and kinda neglected EC in someway.so hopefully my grades will save me.

I would say you are likely to score only 12 at most.

Nah you should definitely score more than 12 with this. I would say between 12-16 probably closer to the 12 than the 16. Definitely more than 10, very few people score less than 10 I believe.

Thanks for the reply! Just wondering,for post interview ranking,is only interview considered or everything (AQ,NAQ,MCAT) is considered?

Thanks for the reply! Just wondering,for post interview ranking,is only interview considered or everything (AQ,NAQ,MCAT) is considered?

Everything is considered but from what I have heard the interview is very essential and I know of cases where it has single handedly brought people down.

Umm first of all I dont get this whole thing of people posting their ECs and expecting an exact answer from other premeds (and in your case also posting your name and grades)

Also as previously mentioned NO ONE here can give you an exact answer as no one here knows how UBC grades it. At the end of the day all you can do is just do your best to do what you think is beneficial to you and your interests and just hope that UBC Med would view that positively.

I think Mithrill is exactly right, that any response from people here would just give you a false sense of security (which is what I think you are looking for).

Also, AQ is based on the adjusted GPA from what I understand and if you have a 92 I would not worry about the AQ too much.

Re the Pubs I do think/ hope that they help but dont think that just because you have 2 publications you are automatically 10+ because I do not personally think that they show a well rounded student eventhough my application is also unfortunately centered around research as well.

Hi, I might just be new around here - but what is your problem?! They were just asking for an appraisal. I have a feeling the OP did not come on this forum expecting an accurate number.

And what is wrong with asking for a false sense of security?

You sound horribly stressed out about your own application - take a chill pill.

Hi, I might just be new around here - but what is your problem?! They were just asking for an appraisal. I have a feeling the OP did not come on this forum expecting an accurate number.

And what is wrong with asking for a false sense of security?

You sound horribly stressed out about your own application - take a chill pill.

Maybe some people don't like feeding into premed neuroticism and giving people a false sense of security? The NAQ is subjective and the best you can do is word your activities in a way that highlights the skills and abilities you've learned. That's how people should be helping instead of trying to rank a person's ECs and score them.

But then again I've been chewed out twice on these forums now by premeds for not dispensing morsels of meaningless appraisal to satiate the neuroticism.

But then again I've been chewed out twice on these forums now by premeds for not dispensing morsels of meaningless appraisal to satiate the neuroticism.

I dont think people have chewed you out for your advive. On the contrary I think people have supported you on that. I think it is how you delivered that last bit that was the issue. It was straight up and without care or understanding.

LOL gotta love a little bit of flaming on the internets.

I did not give her any estimates of what her score is going to be because I thought that it would actually hurt her since 1) I am no expert (no one is here) 2) Giving her a high score/low score what just falsley influence her.

Those above items were my problem.

I do agree that my tone was a but aggresive and that is because I sensed that she was was just trying to get a sense of security from our comments .

I do not get how you on the other hand jumped to the conclusion on how stressed out I am about my application which trust me is far from reality as I think I am not feeling the pressure that I should be feeling.

Anyways lets not turn this into a flame war, everyone has different opinions.

Personally I can see value to both opinions:

It's good to get as many opinions as possible on your ECs because that helps you statistically are most likely to get, need, etc...

But at the same time, the NAQ evaluation process is increadibly subjective and cloak & dagger...

Archived