Premed 101 Forums

How to get admitted to competitive specialties

Hey, I would like to know this too! Also, how competitive would diagnostics radiology be? Thanks!

For the 82 diagnostic radiology positions available across canada last year, there were 109 applicants. Less competitive last year than dermatology, opthalmology, urology and plastic surgery and more competitive than pretty much everything else.

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2010R1_MatchResults/Discipline%20Choices%20of%20Canadian%20Applicants_en.pdf

For the 82 diagnostic radiology positions available across canada last year, there were 109 applicants. Less competitive last year than dermatology, opthalmology, urology and plastic surgery and more competitive than pretty much everything else.

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2010R1_MatchResults/Discipline%20Choices%20of%20Canadian%20Applicants_en.pdf

Thanks for the reply! It doesn't look too bad! :D

You're speaking from personal experience, I gather?

And I heard radiology was most competitive (1 to 2 students per class match into it).

You heard wrong. 17 schools, 89 spots (with 5 for IMGs in the coming match) = 4.94 will match to radiology per school, on average. Even if 20% of the spots are filled by other IMGs, re-entrants to the match, or other sources (all unlikely), that's still 4 students per class matching to rads, on average.

You heard wrong. 17 schools, 89 spots (with 5 for IMGs in the coming match) = 4.94 will match to radiology per school, on average. Even if 20% of the spots are filled by other IMGs, re-entrants to the match, or other sources (all unlikely), that's still 4 students per class matching to rads, on average.

yeah rads hovers around a 75% acceptance rate overall (although of course it varies from year to year). Plastics is the worst I think - it tend to be about 50% each year. Derm is about 55-60% if I remember correctly.

Family on the other had is almost 100%

Archived