Premed 101 Forums

American vs. Caribbean Medical Schools? Which are better for Canadians?

I am planning to apply to Canadian, American, and Caribbean medical schools. I heard that Carib medical schools are very laid back and chill, and since it's nice and sunny there I thought "why the hell not" so therefore I might consider schools like St. George's University in the Caribbean.

I heard that it is hard to get residency in Canada if you have an MD from a Carib school? Is this true?

Also, is it hard to get residency if you have an MD from the US?

I am planning to apply to Canadian, American, and Caribbean medical schools. I heard that Carib medical schools are very laid back and chill, and since it's nice and sunny there I thought "why the hell not" so therefore I might consider schools like St. George's University in the Caribbean.
You're there for med school, mate, not a vacation.

I heard that it is hard to get residency in Canada if you have an MD from a Carib school? Is this true?
Yes. You'll be considered an IMG and you have a very low chance of getting a residency if you try to come back to Canada. In addition, Caribbean schools don't provide the kind of academic, emotional, and financial support that schools in Canada and the US do.

Also, is it hard to get residency if you have an MD from the US?

No. You are in the same stream as Canadian medical graduates for the CaRMS.

Carib schools are actually not that laid back and chill. I have friends studying there and the curriculum is pretty difficult because it's meant to weed out poor candidates successively each year to maximize the USMLE score of the graduates upon graduation. Obviously, they are not doing so to help you out - rather, they want to advertise themselves as a successful medical school with great scores while earning extra cash by forcing people to retake exams and courses. The reality is, those who can pass all the exams in Carib schools are very diligent and smart to begin with, so this only speaks volume of the graduates' quality, not the school's quality per se. In my opinion, the stigma towards Carib graduates isn't fair because they are capable doctors, but the stigma towards the school is justified.

In addition, Caribbean schools don't provide the kind of academic, emotional, and financial support that schools in Canada and the US do.

What academic and financial support are you speaking about? Most of the major schools offer scholarships, bursaries, tutoring services etc., so I'm not sure what you mean. I'll leave the emotional one out of the question, not sure what that would mean.

I'll leave the emotional one out of the question, not sure what that would mean.

At our school we have a team of psychologists and family doctors who are there to help out med students and residents who are having a hard time ''emotionally''. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist in the carib, but I think that's what Mithril was referring to.

What academic and financial support are you speaking about? Most of the major schools offer scholarships, bursaries, tutoring services etc., so I'm not sure what you mean. I'll leave the emotional one out of the question, not sure what that would mean.
By academic support I mean that they don't let anyone fail out unless that person is calling it quits. The attrition rate in Canadian and US med schools is about 4%. By financial support I mean things like being able to obtain an LoC without a co-signer and budgeting and practice help through the CMA's MD Management division. thebouque covered emotional support. It's possible that big name Caribbean schools might have things similar, but the problem being that Caribbean schools are a fairly heterogeneous bunch.

By academic support I mean that they don't let anyone fail out unless that person is calling it quits. The attrition rate in Canadian and US med schools is about 4%. By financial support I mean things like being able to obtain an LoC without a co-signer and budgeting and practice help through the CMA's MD Management division. thebouque covered emotional support. It's possible that big name Caribbean schools might have things similar, but the problem being that Caribbean schools are a fairly heterogeneous bunch.

Ahh, I see what you mean. You need a cosigner for an LOC if you're attending a US medical school too, or any institution outside of Canada. I know Saba has a clinical psychologist available for counseling and I'm sure SGU does as well, but I wouldn't know about any of the other schools. As you said they're a heterogenous bunch but sometimes it's unfortunate when they all get painted by the brush of the lowest common denominator, if you know what I mean!

Have you thought of Ireland?

I very seriously considered doing international med. A friend goes to a school in Belfast and another friend who went to the Caribbean told me it'd be easier for me to return to Canada if I went to Ireland. I think they have one of the higher match rates of the international schools... not sure about the US though.

I don't think you can look forward to the sun though.

Check your atlas.

If you read the post.... I wasn't saying that Belfast was in Ireland.

A friend goes to a school in Belfast and another friend who went to the Caribbean told me it'd be easier for me to return to Canada if I went to Ireland.

Archived