Premed 101 Forums

Peds Residency programs

boodog

• 3 weeks later...

Question - how competitive is peds? I have a friend who really wants to go into it, but so do many others in our class, so she's getting kind of intimidated and thinking of family practice instead just because she worries about not matching. I never considered peds, so I have nothing really to say to her in that regard when she mentions that concern to me.

So funny! Tons of peds interest in my class as well!

orly? It's interesting how different circles roll... I haven't met many peds, though I don't doubt you or anything. The only consistent goal in my small group seems to be oncology... that's only 2/9 and it's because of previous research interest though.

orly? It's interesting how different circles roll... I haven't met many peds, though I don't doubt you or anything. The only consistent goal in my small group seems to be oncology... that's only 2/9 and it's because of previous research interest though.

What lots of people in your small group want oncology?

You know it's not a specialty, it's a subspecialty of internal medicine.

In this thread, people post anecdotal evidence from a small subset of classmates and are projecting it upon the entire student pool.

In this thread, people explicitly state that given statistics apply only to a particular subset of people (even giving precise statistical constraints), and other people try to claim that this is a generalisation.

What lots of people in your small group want oncology?

You know it's not a specialty, it's a subspecialty of internal medicine.

Like I said, two of the nine people in my group, the only two with a common interest. Both just got out of cancer research. I have no idea if they're aware it's a subspecialty of IM, but I don't see why that would affect their interest in the field. We also have one guy looking at surgery, a prospective radiologist, and a few undecided. As for me, I'm looking at EM right now. In general, none of us have any interest in ped, which is why I was interested that LL has met a lot of peds: we generally hang out with a lot of the same people.

Generally people who want peds match to peds as long as you apply broadly. Last year was the only year where it filled completely in the first round and had a few people unmatched who wanted it. However, after doing the interview tour last year for peds, it really was the same people at almost all the interviews (excluding the french ones) including many who had also applied to another specialty as a first choice.

• 2 months later...
not a popular year for pediatrics?

Can someone tell me if it is mandatory to use "General Pediatrician's" reference for Pediatrics residency program.

I have references from Peds Gastro, Peds Cardio, Peds Emerg and NICU all from senior faculty.

I am not sure how my Gen Peds referee evaluated me. Although he has given me a reference, due to limited interaction, I wonder how he would have written a reference.

Also, I have mentioned taking these electives / rotations in my application and CV.

Also, I have uploaded Evaluations from each of these rotations onto my CaRMS file. Does anyone know if residency programs download and consider these evaluations??

None of the programs have mentioned Evals as a mandatory document.

In the west,

U of A, U of C, UBC are wonderful.

Calgary is a much larger program than edmonton.

I'd also be interested in getting feedback on the different peds residency programs across Canada. Are there particular schools with different focuses? Are some programs noticeably better than others?

I'd also be interested in getting feedback on the different peds residency programs across Canada. Are there particular schools with different focuses? Are some programs noticeably better than others?

Sick Kids is the best pediatric hospital in the world if not the entire universe. Just ask them: they'll tell you all about how great they are... ;)

Seriously, U of T has a pretty good program from what I've seen.

Archived