Premed 101 Forums

what is mcgill med school looking for

luckybird

Honestly, I was astonished when I got the feedback from Mcgill Med Admission office. They told me that the refusal after my interview is due to my personality. They emphasize that they are looking for someone is very persuasive.

I am confused by this concept, if this is the real concept adopt by the admission committee. You have to persuade your patient to accept your treatment! even a doctor can be wrong because he is a human beings.

what is the point to be a doctor if you are busy to persuade your patients instead listen to them. I think that is the reason now the canadian health care system sucks.

Honestly, I was astonished when I got the feedback from Mcgill Med Admission office. They told me that the refusal after my interview is due to my personality. They emphasize that they are looking for someone is very persuasive.

I am confused by this concept, if this is the real concept adopt by the admission committee. You have to persuade your patient to accept your treatment! even a doctor can be wrong because he is a human beings.

what is the point to be a doctor if you are busy to persuade your patients instead listen to them. I think that is the reason now the canadian health care system sucks.

In my opinion, the canadian health care system sucks because of the way it is administrated, not because of its overloaded physicians, nurse, etc.

Next time apply to Laval!

In my opinion, the canadian health care system sucks because of the way it is administrated, not because of its overloaded physicians, nurse, etc.

Next time apply to Laval!

If the canadian health care sucks then don't apply to Laval because Laval is a canadian university :)

Apply in USA universities ;)

you didn't understand my point nor the topic of the thread...

It's a joke about the way you write it ;)

Health care system is really complicated.

It's not only because the way is administrated.

Many times, differents groups of physicians are not agreed between them and not agreed with others health professions (nurses and pharmacists).

It's a joke about the way you write it ;)

Health care system is really complicated.

It's not only because the way is administrated.

Many times, differents groups of physicians are not agreed between them and not agreed with others health professions (nurses and pharmacists).

I know but, for example, in québec city (and most likely in many cities), surgeons are asking for more rooms to operate more patients per day, so the waiting list could be considerably reduced, but the governement doesnt give them these rooms...

This is only one example.

I know but, for example, in québec city (and most likely in many cities), surgeons are asking for more rooms to operate more patients per day, so the waiting list could be considerably reduced, but the governement doesnt give them these rooms...

This is only one example.

1. The gouvernemt give the money to the hospital and the hospital decide how to use it. So physicians of each department in the hospital have to negociate to get more money for their departments.

2. There are not enough nurses to help for the operations and after the operations because the organisation of nurse working hours set by the nurse's union (FIQ).

In the public health care system, physician's and nurse's unions are very strong ... many times the public system doesn't working well because the unions.

In the private system, physicians and nurses havent less social advantages ... but they earn more money.

Well, you must have waffled in the MMI by not being decisive and changing your mind rather than aguing persuasively in defending your position. This means you showed uncertainty after having begun to articulate a given position and argument.

You need to seriously self-reflect about what you said at the MMI and the criticism - and learn from this for your next MMI! They know better than you. So, if you do want to gain accaeptance into a med school, learn, adjust your behaviour next cycle, or quit and choose another career.

If as physician, you truly believe that one course of treatment is best for a patient, then you do listen to the patient's concerns and deal with them, but you stick to your guns if you believe in it. Let's take an example, a patient has a spinal problem, slipped disc and you recommend a spinal fusion, which the patient is against and prefers a regime of longterm physiotherapy -in other words, the patient wishes to go the conservative route. The patient has pain radiating down his right leg and is unable to hold a pen in his right hand, but is fine on the left side. I am articulating a real case. Two physicians recommended immediate surgery whereas the third, realizing the situation was not affecting the life style of the patient who was left handed, recommended physio and over many months, the symtons disappeared without the risk of surgery. Each doctor maintained their respective positions that they believed in and the patient made his own informed decision.

Future doc:

that is very profond opinion. However, my situation is very different. As a new immigrant, I was blocked out all the time by the system, though I did have excellent academic performance. I believe I am more compassionate than persuasive. it sounds you are very confident with the people who work in the committee. "they know better"? true, they know better about themselves, but they are not open enough to know the whole world, the people who come from another world.

Meanwhile, I have very real personal experiences with so called persuasive doctors. I fully trusted my surgeon who was eager to treat me. He persuaded me to have two major lung surgeries with only 12 days apart without telling me the risk. unfortunately, I developed chronic pain afterward. by consulting other more experienced surgeons, I realized that the agressive interventions are the root of my suffering now.

You are right, I have to drop my consideration to apply to meds school again because the aftermath of my surgeries.

Future doc:

that is very profond opinion. However, my situation is very different. As a new immigrant, I was blocked out all the time by the system, though I did have excellent academic performance. I believe I am more compassionate than persuasive. it sounds you are very confident with the people who work in the committee. "they know better"? true, they know better about themselves, but they are not open enough to know the whole world, the people who come from another world.

Meanwhile, I have very real personal experiences with so called persuasive doctors. I fully trusted my surgeon who was eager to treat me. He persuaded me to have two major lung surgeries with only 12 days apart without telling me the risk. unfortunately, I developed chronic pain afterward. by consulting other more experienced surgeons, I realized that the agressive interventions are the root of my suffering now.

You are right, I have to drop my consideration to apply to meds school again because the aftermath of my surgeries.

Every committee is far from being perfect and I don't think they "know better" than anyone who would make the best physician. However, since places are limited, they have to select candidates among a bunch of exceptionnal people. Who knows? maybe you would have made a better doctor than someone they chose.

If I can give you an advice to get better chances of being selected, do not consider only mcgill's med program. In fact, it is the faculty that admits the lowest number of candidates. Try udm sherbrooke and laval, each of them admits over 200 candidates!!! So keep motivated!

• 2 weeks later...
Future doc:

I too am an immigrant. I was shy, this is not good for patient interaction and so I have lost my shyness. In other words, I adapted as you will do too. Do not forget about medicine, just adapt yourself so that you get a seat in med school. There are all kinds of doctors, good and bad, this is not the issue. The issue is to succeed at the MMI. You can do it, do what you have to do and then make a contribution as a physician. I am willing to help you. :)

Archived