Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Sketch

Is it filler if you have more than 14 hobbies/extracurriculars listed on OMSAS?

I'll have something like

12 volunteer positions (most are long-term)

4 different job positions

~5 awards (I'm still trying to sort it out. I have like 11 but that's only if I leave similar awards separate)

TOTAL=21

and I want to fill the rest with hobbies/extracurriculars. If I put ~14 different extracurriculars/hobbies would it look like filler? Basically to achieve this, I'll have to go above and beyond what I used to do. The things that I liked to do but never formally did them (eg. by joining a group) before because of whatever reason, I'll start doing them now.

Isn't it usually difficult to find someone to verify a hobby/extracurricular?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have a related question in regards to inputting work experience. I had a job through all of highschool (academic term and summer) as well as the summer between first and second year of university. What would be the best way to input this into the OMSAS autobiographical sketch? I am trying to make 1 single entry but the 100 character limit for the "Full/Part-time - Summer or Academic Year" section is limiting. Any suggestions? I am resorting to using short forms such as below.

PT acad 20h/wx43w x3 years. Full Time summer 40h/w x 9 w x 4ys. FT 1st year uni summer 40h/wx16wx1y.

Is this correct way to go about it are are better ways? I apologize if this question has already been asked, I did a preliminary search of the site and I have not been able to find an answer to this particular challenge.

Thank you,

Is it filler if you have more than 14 hobbies/extracurriculars listed on OMSAS?

I'll have something like

12 volunteer positions (most are long-term)

4 different job positions

~5 awards (I'm still trying to sort it out. I have like 11 but that's only if I leave similar awards separate)

TOTAL=21

and I want to fill the rest with hobbies/extracurriculars. If I put ~14 different extracurriculars/hobbies would it look like filler? Basically to achieve this, I'll have to go above and beyond what I used to do. The things that I liked to do but never formally did them (eg. by joining a group) before because of whatever reason, I'll start doing them now.

Isn't it usually difficult to find someone to verify a hobby/extracurricular?

I wouldn't assign a number to what is considered filler, more the quality of the activity. Someone can have >30 or even 40 valid activities, jobs, hobbies, volunteer spots etc. You don't have to fill in all 45 spots on your sketch, I think that's where people start grasping at things and it might look more like filling space rather than showing who you are and what you've done. I wouldn't join an activity just to fill in another sketch item. I know a few people who got into schools with ~15 activities listed on their sketch.

The verifier doesn't have to be a person of authority within the activity (ie organizer or boss), just someone who can vouch that you actually did it. I used a friend who knew I did some of the activities, but didn't actually do them herself as verifier for a few things.

What about volunteering at a hospital, where I did 4 different activities over 2 years, and each involves a different set of duties and skills and lessons/experiences learned?

I volunteered at a place for 4 years where I did 3 different activities. As long as these 3 activities are different, you can divide it into 3 different sketches.

What do we write in formal education? Does that mean the degrees we got or are working towards? Do we include honours/awards here too, like magna cum laude?

magna cum laude belongs in awards and accomplishments

formal education lists which educational institutions you attended and any other formal education like music lessons, ballet lessons, CPR, Red Cross courses, language lessons, etc.

How about specific course awards in high school/university?

I got a bunch of high school course awards for the highest mark in different courses. Should I just include all of these awards under one heading? I feel at a loss if I compress 5 course awards into one.

I also participated in contests eg. Uwaterloo math contest, U of T biology contest, U of T french contest etc. Should these also go under one heading? eg. "competitor"

I'm also improving my level of fluency in 3 different languages and I attended special after-school programs/classrooms. Would I compress these under one heading as well?

These type of questions just keep on coming.

I have 4 languages and took special lessons for 2 of them outside of school with different teachers privately and included them as separate entries in Formal Education. So, they qualify for separate entries but if at one location, you can, if you like, put them all in one entry.

The readers are not stupid and this is mot a counting exercise, they understand the quality of what is written.

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but for awards, abstracts, posters, and other things with one-time dates, what do we write for date? And can an abstract for a conference be entered into a separate entry from its corresponding poster?

I don't have experrience with this, but I do not see any downside to include poster & abstract together. The readers do not count the number of entries and look at the substantive information. Only you do the counting - it is about quality and not quantity.

Sorry for the back to back posts, but why can't I enter 4 separate abstracts from the same conference as 4 separate entries?

These are 4 separate abstracts covering 4 different topics - so sure, why not, if you (legitimately) want/need the extra characters for each item. You are thus marketing yourself well.

However, if it is just for the number count and they can easily be combined, combining is fine too. The readers do understand what "4" abstracts mean.

I've got tons of sports-related extracurriculars. Varsity wrestling, judo, rock climbing, intramural flag football, regular swing dance outings, and dragon boat competitions, and I did them all mainly to relief stress and stay in shape. But I have a feeling that stating "stress relief + fitness" that many times won't sound impressive at all. Should I just elaborate how they each taught me something different and mention "stress relief + fitness" only once?

See my PM. :P

For those sports activities, they demonstrate that you live an active and healthy lifestylel where exercise and proper nutrition are your priorities, ergo, a fit body in top condition allows you toin the bet maintain a fit mind and spirit, which allows to strive for excellence in all you do free from stress.It is all about marketing yourself in the best possible light. The sketches are an art!! :P

How about if you were on a executive student council committee for two years in a row.. would this be 2 separate entries or just an extended date?

and one more question please: how many entries are appropriate for an event that you have done multiple years in a row but is only a one time event: ie frosh week guide 3 years in a row or relay for life volunteer three years in a row?

what is the best way to express that since I feel putting the time period from sept 2009-sept 2011 wouldn't be appropriate?

Thanks so much! After years of watching from afar I have finally joined as a member and started posting lol

How about if you were on a executive student council committee for two years in a row.. would this be 2 separate entries or just an extended date?

and one more question please: how many entries are appropriate for an event that you have done multiple years in a row but is only a one time event: ie frosh week guide 3 years in a row or relay for life volunteer three years in a row?

what is the best way to express that since I feel putting the time period from sept 2009-sept 2011 wouldn't be appropriate?

Thanks so much! After years of watching from afar I have finally joined as a member and started posting lol

What I did was put down the time period for the first time I did that activity. And in the description I mentioned that I did this in 2008, 2009 and 2010 for example.

Both of these would be one entry. In the description part, you would then make it clear the time frame during which you participated. So for example, student council is one entry and you describe it as during the academic year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived