Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Sketch

Hi everyone! Currently working on my sketch and I'm not sure what the best approach for a particular section is and would like some feedback.

One part of my past experiences that I would like to highlight in my sketch is my integrated internships during my Dietetics degree. My degree consisted of 40 weeks of internships so its a pretty significant part of my education. My only concern is which category is the best for it... Formal Education I suppose? Other? What are some examples of what people put in 'other'? I did travel abroad last year for a few months so I'm not sure whether to put that into extracurricular or 'other' as well..

I got to work in various health care settings ranging from 2 week to 5 week rotations in clinical nutrition (mental health, pediatrics, chronic pain, geriatics etc) as well as doing community health rotations that ranged from 2 weeks to 7 weeks and food service etc. If I did put my various rotations under 'formal education' would it be best to add each rotation individually or group some of them?

Thanks!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would choose a few key practica to put under formal education. because your degree is entrenched in healthcare, it should stand on its' own with your transcript and u can elaborate in the questions section. for myself i picked 2 nursing practica to put under formal ed, then wrote about a few others in the answers, but i did not list every hospital or community rotation i did even though they were very meaningful and time consuming.

Hi everyone! Currently working on my sketch and I'm not sure what the best approach for a particular section is and would like some feedback.

One part of my past experiences that I would like to highlight in my sketch is my integrated internships during my Dietetics degree. My degree consisted of 40 weeks of internships so its a pretty significant part of my education. My only concern is which category is the best for it... Formal Education I suppose? Other? What are some examples of what people put in 'other'? I did travel abroad last year for a few months so I'm not sure whether to put that into extracurricular or 'other' as well..

I got to work in various health care settings ranging from 2 week to 5 week rotations in clinical nutrition (mental health, pediatrics, chronic pain, geriatics etc) as well as doing community health rotations that ranged from 2 weeks to 7 weeks and food service etc. If I did put my various rotations under 'formal education' would it be best to add each rotation individually or group some of them?

Thanks!

I would put each that I want to highlight under a separate item in Formal Education, also giving the course name & number.

Thanks! Also I know this has probably been asked before but say you present a poster at an international conference (this would be one entry under research).

Now say you win both a travel award and best poster award. Would you put this in the same box as the conference or would you treat these as two separate "award" entries? I have listed them all separate now but realized I have 16 awards (I think this is too much - I won a lot of best poster awards).

Thanks! Also I know this has probably been asked before but say you present a poster at an international conference (this would be one entry under research).

Now say you win both a travel award and best poster award. Would you put this in the same box as the conference or would you treat these as two separate "award" entries? I have listed them all separate now but realized I have 16 awards (I think this is too much - I won a lot of best poster awards).

I would combine the travel/best poster awards for same conference.

dont know if the first item rises to constitute research.

I would combine the travel/best poster awards for same conference.

dont know if the first item rises to constitute research.

Well if you just presented a poster at a international conference (without winning a travel award or a best poster award), then how would you put that down? It is the same thing as getting an abstract accepted into a conference

For employment/volunteer activities, where do we write the name of the organization we worked for? Eg If I was in customer service at Future Shop, do I write 'Customer Service - Future Shop' in the description line and then write my duties in the responsibilities box?
Sure. Do whatever you think is best. Not everyone's sketch will be formatted the same way, but your approach is fine.

I am new to this, so I apologize if my questions have been asked already somewhere:

1) I am finding the 150 characters limit very challenging for employment and volunteer entries. Do most of you manage to describe your role/duties and add what skills/knowledge you learned? How important is the latter?

2) Also, would you add shadowing a doctor as "other"?

I am new to this, so I apologize if my questions have been asked already somewhere:

1) I am finding the 150 characters limit very challenging for employment and volunteer entries. Do most of you manage to describe your role/duties and add what skills/knowledge you learned? How important is the latter?

2) Also, would you add shadowing a doctor as "other"?

As nobody is a magician, you do your best to include what you learned if possible. Send me a PM with a couple of examples of what you created and what is missing.

Shadowing is notvoluntering but a wothwhile EC.

For employment and volunteer entries. Do you put the position name (e.g. Research Assistant) and employer/organization in the "Description" box? It's hard to fit it all in...

Yes...there is actually very little space. If the organization name is too long, don't write the whole name. I'm sure it should fit once you type only PART of the organization's name.

Hope that helps.

Tesla

For employment/volunteer activities, where do we write the name of the organization we worked for? Eg If I was in customer service at Future Shop, do I write 'Customer Service - Future Shop' in the description line and then write my duties in the responsibilities box?

Ensure patron satisfaction as priority-solve problems o/s the box-use initiative-increase communication skills-friendly/calm/helpful/courteous always

Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been answered before but I haven't been keeping up with this forum much (it's been stressing me out to see how much ahead of me people are on apps :P).

I had an NSERC this summer. I'm presenting a poster for it in November. I seem to recall reading that you would separate this into awards and research (i.e. one entry for winning the NSERC itself, one entry for the research/poster). Is this correct or will it seem like I'm just struggling to fill up my entries?

Im just starting the OMSAS Sketch...

I dont see any place where you link a verifier to each activity. Am I missing something, or are the verifiers completely separate from the Sketch?

(ie. I thought you associate a "verifier" with each activity on the 48-item Sketch)

Im just starting the OMSAS Sketch...

I dont see any place where you link a verifier to each activity. Am I missing something, or are the verifiers completely separate from the Sketch?

(ie. I thought you associate a "verifier" with each activity on the 48-item Sketch)

You add the verified number in the details section of the sketch and then add the information of each verify in the Verifier List. The number of the verifier on the list should correspond to the number you input for each activity.

You add the verified number in the details section of the sketch and then add the information of each verify in the Verifier List. The number of the verifier on the list should correspond to the number you input for each activity.

Ok so how would you suggest writing it? Lets say I am entering being part of a hockey team:

Category: Extra-Curricular Activities

To: 2007

Description: Varsity Hockey Team (Verifier #1). Played on.....150char

Would you put it in the title like that, or maybe at the end of the description? I'm guess its up to us....

Ok so how would you suggest writing it? Lets say I am entering being part of a hockey team:

Category: Extra-Curricular Activities

To: 2007

Description: Varsity Hockey Team (Verifier #1). Played on.....150char

Would you put it in the title like that, or maybe at the end of the description? I'm guess its up to us....

Uigga, there is a box that says "Verifier" and you enter, 1,2,3,4 etc.

Ok...do this...go to OMSAS...on the left navigation bar click "Sketck"...and there are 3 buttons under each of your entries...click "Add/Change Detail"...THAT is where you enter verifier.

At what point does the "Add/Change Detail" box appear? I asked future doc and I was told that once you save an entry additional boxes appear where you THEN get the 150 characters to describe the activity. Also, as you mentioned above, you also get some sort of verifier box come up too. I have saved a couple of "Formal Education" entries, so when I click on the Sketch on the left hand tab and the sketch opens up, I have my 4 entries in, but underneath each one the only two buttons are "Change" and "Delete". When I click on Change takes me back to my entry, where I only have the "Description" and "Location" boxes, which give me 48 characters and 12 characters respectively. So when do these additional boxes show up where I get the 150 characters and there is a part for verifier? I have saved the entries and still nothing...

At what point does the "Add/Change Detail" box appear? I asked future doc and I was told that once you save an entry additional boxes appear where you THEN get the 150 characters to describe the activity. Also, as you mentioned above, you also get some sort of verifier box come up too. I have saved a couple of "Formal Education" entries, so when I click on the Sketch on the left hand tab and the sketch opens up, I have my 4 entries in, but underneath each one the only two buttons are "Change" and "Delete". When I click on Change takes me back to my entry, where I only have the "Description" and "Location" boxes, which give me 48 characters and 12 characters respectively. So when do these additional boxes show up where I get the 150 characters and there is a part for verifier? I have saved the entries and still nothing...

You see...Formal education and "OTHER" are the 2 categories that DON'T have "Add/Change Details" :D . Try another "TEST" entry...let's say for volunteering and you will see a 3rd button; "Add/Change Details"!

Tesla

Archived