Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Sketch

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies of these questions have been asked before - I am new to all of this:

1) I started my BA in Fall 2005 and completed the last course in December 2009, but I did not confer until June 2010. When I am listing the years of my undergraduate degree under the "Postsecondary Education" should I write:

September 2005 - December 2009

or

September 2005 - June 2010

2) I would like to add to my interest in visual arts to my sketch. I started when I was very young - can I list the start date as being in my childhood? Or is it better to just select an "artificial" start at e.g. age 12? Do I need to list a verifier?

3) For conferences presentations, how important is it to list the name of the conference?

4) For publications, is it necessary to list the reference? Or even the journal name? So challenging with the character limits...

Thanks!

The way you write your sketch is assessed will likely be very subjective. The committee that reviews your application may be more supportive of either of the methods you have mentioned. I think you should try to use both lessons learned and what you did, though. It is hard to shove it all in to the room we have to work with, but try your best, especially for the more meaningful activities. Also, with lessons learned, be real and do not try to fluff in an attempt to ignite emotion. I have been following your posts on here and sdn and I really feel that you want an education in medicine. Do not stress out so much. Everything will work out one way or another and it is a learning process to be able to find the right things to do and such.

just wondering..do you need to be blatant about the lessons/skills you learned? such as I learned this and this.. couldn't you convey this from the verb and adjectives you use? like through planning XXevent and personally inviting speakers, led me team to advocate forXX. wouldn't this sound more coherent?

Check Quote

Apologies of these questions have been asked before - I am new to all of this:

1) I started my BA in Fall 2005 and completed the last course in December 2009, but I did not confer until June 2010. When I am listing the years of my undergraduate degree under the "Postsecondary Education" should I write:

September 2005 - December 2009

or

September 2005 - June 2010

Stick with either of them, they both sound valid

2) I would like to add to my interest in visual arts to my sketch. I started when I was very young - can I list the start date as being in my childhood? Or is it better to just select an "artificial" start at e.g. age 12? Do I need to list a verifier?

12 sounds good - 8 + years of art is quite a commitment and shows an interest in the subject. You could describe the basis of your art pieces in the description. How about your high school art teacher as a verifier?

3) For conferences presentations, how important is it to list the name of the conference?

It would sound more formal than just saying "Research Conference" if you mentioned the actual name. Who knows? Someone from the Adcom might have attended the conference and would want to meet you.

4) For publications, is it necessary to list the reference? Or even the journal name? So challenging with the character limits...

Maybe not the full reference if it takes a lot of space. Use the title to mention something like "Published: Mouse models for human diseases" and in the description - Work from senior thesis published in Journal of Oncology. I think that the Adcom is quite capable of looking up work if they needed using author names, title and journal. Check the OMSAS handbook if any instructions are provided with regards to this matter

Thanks!

Your Welcome

Hey guys,

Quick one here: in the Sketch, are we supposed to put in the total #hours in the "hours" tab and mention #hrs/week for #years in the "summer/fulltime etc" section OR do we put #hours/week in the "Hours" tab?

I have been doing the first so far.

Thank you!!!! Good luck everyone!

Hey guys,

Quick one here: in the Sketch, are we supposed to put in the total #hours in the "hours" tab and mention #hrs/week for #years in the "summer/fulltime etc" section OR do we put #hours/week in the "Hours" tab?

Did the same thing as you! What did you put for duration under awards? Like 1 academic year?

Hey guys,

I did the latter- I don't think it ever asks for total # hours?

Hey I am reposting this sorry for the spam no one had a chance to answer and it fell back in the list;

i) Are people indicating high school honour roll for award/accomplishment? If so, do you put grades 9 and 10 as well?

ii) Are people putting Ontario Scholar as an award/accomplishment?

iii). For an award you won once, what do you put in the "Duration" section? I guess for an NSERC you would put 1 or 2 years, but what do you put for a one time award?

i) Are people indicating high school honour roll for award/accomplishment? If so, do you put grades 9 and 10 as well?

I did last year. I just combined all high school honour roll years into 1 entry.

ii) Are people putting Ontario Scholar as an award/accomplishment?

I think I did last year.

iii). For an award you won once, what do you put in the "Duration" section? I guess for an NSERC you would put 1 or 2 years, but what do you put for a one time award?

Well you could put the year which got you the award. i.e. you were awarded for excellent 1st year marks then I would put your 1st year for duration.

Would you list research articles that have been submitted, or are in preparation (ie- currently writing manuscript) as a Research entry in your sketch?

I'm wondering b/c these are certainly items that would go on a CV. And it is a research activity that I was/am engaged in...

Would you list research articles that have been submitted, or are in preparation (ie- currently writing manuscript) as a Research entry in your sketch?

I'm wondering b/c these are certainly items that would go on a CV. And it is a research activity that I was/am engaged in...

I'm pretty sure if it's currently in the "writing" stage it doesn't count. As far as the scientific community is concerned, it doesn't exist. I'm fairly certain Ottawa specifically says for you to not include it.

But then again - you can throw it on your sketch. Worst case - they just don't take into account.

However, if you're at 49 items, this is the one to cut.

Just my thought...

Sorry I know this has been asked but I haven't seen any answers for it.

For a one-time off award/scholarship, what do we put as Duration? (It wasn't a school award, so I can't put in the school years that they used)

Also, when we are putting any publications under research, what would we put as the Description (when we are initially entering it)? My titles are to long. Should we be putting whether it was a paper or poster presentation in there?

THANKS!!!

Hey guys I had one quick question that i'm worried about:

I have several poster presentations. But the problem is that some of them are of the same research just at different conferences.

In the Description, should i simply reiterate the research again and again? Same thing for my role in the project?

I apologize if this is a stupid question. It is also confusing because at times the name of the research project is longer than 150 chr :(

Oh, you guys are putting stuff like high school honor roll? I left out a lot of high school stuff that I thought was redundant. Like say, I got an award for having 95%+ in high school, didn't think I'd bother saying I got an award for 85%+, since it's already evident that my grades were that high. Now I kinda think I should put some of those things in, but it's too late to get verifiers.

Personally I have a lot of awards so to me including Honour Roll or Ontario Scholar felt like padding/filler, especially since pretty much everyone gets it if they get into undergrad. However, I still included it because it is an accomplishment nevertheless, and even if you got some unique award/scholarship, who is to say that that award is better than any other. Some may highlight some sort of exceptional accomplishment, but many people get these unique awards, so to adcoms it's likely just another check mark for having something. The unique awards only make us feel good because we're the ones that got them. An award that you got from 1 out of 5000 seems great, but then the next guy might have a similar one 1 out of 10,000. So in the end, what you put is what they see. Maybe getting High School Honour Roll is implied for all of us, but if you have a thin sketch why not include it?

Hey guys I had one quick question that i'm worried about:

I have several poster presentations. But the problem is that some of them are of the same research just at different conferences.

In the Description, should i simply reiterate the research again and again? Same thing for my role in the project?

I apologize if this is a stupid question. It is also confusing because at times the name of the research project is longer than 150 chr :(

If it's the same research, then put it as 1 entry and list the conferences in the description. You also have to abbreviate the name.

Oh, you guys are putting stuff like high school honor roll? I left out a lot of high school stuff that I thought was redundant. Like say, I got an award for having 95%+ in high school, didn't think I'd bother saying I got an award for 85%+, since it's already evident that my grades were that high. Now I kinda think I should put some of those things in, but it's too late to get verifiers.
Don't worry about it. High school awards aren't weighted the same as university ones.

I am trying to figure out what category to put this under in the sketch.

I spent 3 days this summer shadowing in a hospital in the medical lab, diagnostic imaging dept and shadowing a phlebotomist.

What do you guys think?

Archived