Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Sketch

Uigga, there is a box that says "Verifier" and you enter, 1,2,3,4 etc.

Ok...do this...go to OMSAS...on the left navigation bar click "Sketck"...and there are 3 buttons under each of your entries...click "Add/Change Detail"...THAT is where you enter verifier.

Ah I see. I did a test entry before, but it was a "formal education".

I guess that third button does not come up for formal education entries.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eureka Tesla!!! thanks man

Here's a related question:

I have read that people put extracurricular language courses, and even CPR classes under formal education. But then there is no verifier for those activities?

Doesn't that mean that formal education is reserved for stuff that appears on a transcript (and thus does not need a verifier) ?

Eureka Tesla!!! thanks man

Here's a related question:

I have read that people put extracurricular language courses, and even CPR classes under formal education. But then there is no verifier for those activities?

Doesn't that mean that formal education is reserved for stuff that appears on a transcript (and thus does not need a verifier) ?

You put "0" for activites that can be substantiated from your transcript. For example, if you put "Dean's Honors List" as an award...that doesn't go under FORMAL EDUCATION, but under awards and accomplishments instead, however, you still use "0" because it is verifiable through your transcript. So if you decide to put CPR courses under formal education, you would use a different verifier...not the usual "0" which is reserved for information on your transcript.

Tesla

You put "0" for activites that can be substantiated from your transcript. For example, if you put "Dean's Honors List" as an award...that doesn't go under FORMAL EDUCATION, but under awards and accomplishments instead, however, you still use "0" because it is verifiable through your transcript. So if you decide to put CPR courses under formal education, you would use a different verifier...not the usual "0" which is reserved for information on your transcript.

Tesla

No, but if you put CPR classes under formal education, the verifier option (ie. the mystical "third" button) wont even come up right....

So based on that, shouldn't CPR classes go under something else, so that you can provide a verifier?

No, but if you put CPR classes under formal education, the verifier option (ie. the mystical "third" button) wont even come up right....

So based on that, shouldn't CPR classes go under something else, so that you can provide a verifier?

You can still provide a verifier. You just put it with the description.

Example:

Description: CPR certification (1)

Geographic Location: Narnia

So your verifier would be associated with entry #1 in your verifiers list.

It would be nice if someone who has interviewed or has been accepted could confirm that putting CPR lets say in Formal Education and putting a (#) in the "Description" box to associate it with a verifier was OK. I find it peculiar that we have specific drop down boxes for verifiers in the other sections like "ECs", but not in Formal Education. It almost seems like applicants are going beyond the boundaries of what OMSAS wants included in Formal Education (i.e. Only school-related submissions). They administer the web-app so if their intentions were for us to put these things in the Formal Education section then why are there no verifier boxes?

Things like piano lessons and CPR could technically fit into "ECs" or even "Awards and ACCOMPLISHMENTS" where there are the drop down boxes for verifiers. However, if you go back to Formal Education, I'm wondering are people putting a "0" in the "Description" box next to their University degree, or are they putting a number and using their school's registrar as a verifier? It seems kind of useless linking your school's registrar office to your education since it's obvious in your transcript what school you went to and the admissions committees we can assume have the registrars info. On the other hand, I can see one linking an award that may not be on your transcript yet (Lets say it's not updated yet) to the registrar's office with a number rather than a "0" since your transcript won't show it, and now since you have listed your registrar's office as a verifier for you award, why not link them to your education as well?

Further, it's odd to not list your registrar as a verifier for you university degree if you list your high school for you high school diploma as a verifier in the same Formal Education section.

So if people are putting verifier numbers both in the drop down boxes in the "Employment", as well as in the "Description" boxes under Formal Education, they are creating a verifier list both manually and automatically? Are people then just choosing to wait until they have their whole sketch completely done before they go through and associate numbers with the activities, both in the drop down boxes as well as in the "Description" boxes. So what I'm saying is that Formal Education is the first category with no verifier drop-down boxes, but people will put verifier numbers in brackets. Once they get to a section like "Employment" where the verifier boxes do show up, what if their first entry in that section is their 5th entry overall? Would people make that as number "5" in the verifier box, or are people making those sections their first ones, and then Formal Education will be their last sections with the highest numbers in their manually-made brackets?

You can still provide a verifier. You just put it with the description.

Example:

Description: CPR certification (1)

Geographic Location: Narnia

So your verifier would be associated with entry #1 in your verifiers list.

Sounds good

It would be nice if someone who has interviewed or has been accepted could confirm that putting CPR lets say in Formal Education and putting a (#) in the "Description" box to associate it with a verifier was OK. I find it peculiar that we have specific drop down boxes for verifiers in the other sections like "ECs", but not in Formal Education. It almost seems like applicants are going beyond the boundaries of what OMSAS wants included in Formal Education (i.e. Only school-related submissions). They administer the web-app so if their intentions were for us to put these things in the Formal Education section then why are there no verifier boxes?

Things like piano lessons and CPR could technically fit into "ECs" or even "Awards and ACCOMPLISHMENTS" where there are the drop down boxes for verifiers. However, if you go back to Formal Education, I'm wondering are people putting a "0" in the "Description" box next to their University degree, or are they putting a number and using their school's registrar as a verifier? It seems kind of useless linking your school's registrar office to your education since it's obvious in your transcript what school you went to and the admissions committees we can assume have the registrars info. On the other hand, I can see one linking an award that may not be on your transcript yet (Lets say it's not updated yet) to the registrar's office with a number rather than a "0" since your transcript won't show it, and now since you have listed your registrar's office as a verifier for you award, why not link them to your education as well?

Further, it's odd to not list your registrar as a verifier for you university degree if you list your high school for you high school diploma as a verifier in the same Formal Education section.

That was my first thought too (if you see a few posts above). If there is no verifier option under formal education, that category is probably meant to be reserved for items that are on your official transcript (ie. your degrees).

But technically, if you pay for Piano lessons or a CPR course, that is also "formal" education.

So whatever, you can do it either way. The way "thatonekid" suggested above sounds good, and as he/she said there was no problem.

Seems like its no big deal anyway since they are rarely checked.

So if people are putting verifier numbers both in the drop down boxes in the "Employment", as well as in the "Description" boxes under Formal Education, they are creating a verifier list both manually and automatically? Are people then just choosing to wait until they have their whole sketch completely done before they go through and associate numbers with the activities, both in the drop down boxes as well as in the "Description" boxes. So what I'm saying is that Formal Education is the first category with no verifier drop-down boxes, but people will put verifier numbers in brackets. Once they get to a section like "Employment" where the verifier boxes do show up, what if their first entry in that section is their 5th entry overall? Would people make that as number "5" in the verifier box, or are people making those sections their first ones, and then Formal Education will be their last sections with the highest numbers in their manually-made brackets?
Do whatever is easiest for you. When I did my sketch, I entered all my activities 1st, made sure everything was there, and then went back and entered my verifiers.

Sounds good

That was my first thought too (if you see a few posts above). If there is no verifier option under formal education, that category is probably meant to be reserved for items that are on your official transcript (ie. your degrees).

But technically, if you pay for Piano lessons or a CPR course, that is also "formal" education.

So whatever, you can do it either way. The way "thatonekid" suggested above sounds good, and as he/she said there was no problem.

Seems like its no big deal anyway since they are rarely checked.

People "reinterpret" the OMSAS guidelines all the time. The way I like to think about it is that OMSAS gives applicants a template so that everyone doesn't submit random applications and that there is structure to the entries. However, what the applicant does with that template is up to them.

That makes sense. Sorry that my questions seem trivial at times I get caught up reading the forums rather than actually going and doing the stuff myself so I had no idea of knowing about the additional boxes for the specific sections. Yet, I see people posting here that they have all this room to write and I just wasn't seeing it, under Formal Education that is lol :D

For your university degree are you putting your schools registrar as a verifier and not just "0"? I'm curious because you are putting your high school as an actual verifier (With a number in brackets) for your high school diploma right?

Since degree goes under formal education, there wont be any verifier option.

If you want to put "0" in the description box, or another number and then list your school registrar as a verifier, I guess it is up to you....but seems like overkill

We're submitting an official transcript too remember, and that is an automatic verifier for any degree

who do u put as a verifier for entrance (and other GPA based) scholarships?

Hi fireflakes,

For awards and accomplishments that can be substantiated thruogh your transcript or academic record, you shuold put in "0" as the verifier. This works for GPA based awards. As for the entrance awards, I'm sure your transcript will speak for itself - they don't get overly picky about verifiers for academic awards. Also, if they do ask you about it (very rare), you can just present them with some high school records (very unlikely to occur though).

HTH

Tesla

Hi fireflakes,

For awards and accomplishments that can be substantiated thruogh your transcript or academic record, you shuold put in "0" as the verifier. This works for GPA based awards. As for the entrance awards, I'm sure your transcript will speak for itself - they don't get overly picky about verifiers for academic awards. Also, if they do ask you about it (very rare), you can just present them with some high school records (very unlikely to occur though).

HTH

Tesla

+1

If you're concerned about putting '0' as the verifier, you can use your school's registrar's office as the verifier.

thanks a lot tesla...i was aware of the '0' thing but wasnt sure when/if I can use it for entrance scholarships, now this makes it a bit easy to finish my application :P

Hi fireflakes,

HTH

Tesla

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but for the responsibilities section for Volunteer activities, are we expected to write in the present tense? I know its probably not a big deal, but I can save a few characters here and there by doing so. IMO, it just sounds a bit weird for some activities.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but for the responsibilities section for Volunteer activities, are we expected to write in the present tense? I know its probably not a big deal, but I can save a few characters here and there by doing so. IMO, it just sounds a bit weird for some activities.

Thoughts?

Hi kc752,

It depends on whether the volunteer activity is on-going or not. If you indicated on OMSAS that a particular activity is "on-going", then present tense works well. On the contrary, if the activity is one that you are not currently participating in, then past tense would be more suitable.

HTH

Tesla

What activities should you list "yourself" as a verifier for?

I am tempted to list my self as a verifier for anything that I have a certificate for (eg. CPR course), or a trophy (eg sports activities). But then going by that, someone could essentially verify ~90% of your ABS by yourself.

Anyone want to suggest some guidelines as to when to list yourself as the verifier....? I definitely want to use it a few times rather than looking hunting down someone's contact info from the past.

I am tempted to list my self as a verifier for anything that I have a certificate for (eg. CPR course), or a trophy (eg sports activities). But then going by that, someone could essentially verify ~90% of your ABS by yourself.

Anyone want to suggest some guidelines as to when to list yourself as the verifier....? I definitely want to use it a few times rather than looking hunting down someone's contact info from the past.

Hi uigga,

I personally believe you should not use YOURSELF as a verifier - unless it is something significantly significant :). They ask for a verifier, in order to "VERIFY" what YOU as an applicant have written - otherwise they would take your word for it and a verifier wouldn't be needed :P. As for showing OMSAS folks evidence of your activites, this is practical for academic scenarios only (or a CPR course). A very important aspect of the OMSAS application IS to get the verifiers you need; definitely do not take the "yourself" verifier approach (especially for 90% of your app).

HTH

Tesla

Don't use yourself as a verifier for anything. List a friend or a parent.

For the CPR course, you could list the place you got it from (CRC, SJA, etc). For the trophy, list a friend, parent, coach, teammate, league office, etc.

Archived