Quote of the day

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Doubt everything. Find your own light.”

― Buddha

“Doubt is an uncomfortable condition, but certainty is a ridiculous one.”

― Voltaire

“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”

― René Descartes

well, I've got this one

Doubt yourself and you doubt everything you see. Judge yourself and you see judges everywhere. But if you listen to the sound of your own voice, you can rise above doubt and judgment. And you can see forever.

- Nancy Kerrigan

but sure, I agree with that one

When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities.

- David Hume

and not to forget about:

As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

- Donald Rumsfeld

my favorite:D

From the Institute for Stork Research and Science

Two different theories exist concerning the origin of children: the theory of Sexual reproduction, and the theory of the stork. Many people believe in the theory of sexual reproduction because they have been taught this theory at school. In reality, however, many of the world's leading scientists are in favor of the theory of the stork. If the theory of sexual reproduction is taught in schools, it must only be taught as a theory and not as the truth. Alternative theories, such as the theory of the stork, must also be taught.

Evidence supporting the theory of the stork includes the following:

1. It is a scientifically established fact that the stork does exist. This can be confirmed by every ornithologist.

2. The alleged human fetal development contains several features that the theory of sexual reproduction is unable to explain.

3. The theory of sexual reproduction implies that a child is approximately nine months old at birth. This is an absurd claim. Everyone knows that a newborn child is newborn.

4. According to the theory of sexual reproduction, children are a result of sexual intercourse. There are, however, several well documented cases where sexual intercourse has not led to the birth of a child.

5. Statistical studies in the Netherlands have indicated a positive correlation between the birth rate and the number of storks. Both are decreasing.

6. The theory of the stork can be investigated by rigorous scientific methods. The only assumption involved is that children are delivered by the stork.

- Unknown

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

- Winston Churchill

Action is the foundational key to all success.

- Pablo Picasso

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

- Winston Churchill

Failure is success if we learn from it.

- Malcolm Forbes

Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something.

- Morihei Ueshiba

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

- Winston Churchill

Action is the foundational key to all success.

- Pablo Picasso

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

- Winston Churchill

Failure is success if we learn from it.

- Malcolm Forbes

Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something.

- Morihei Ueshiba

jsut an add to your collection:)

"When you lose, Don't lose the lesson"

- have no idea :rolleyes:

Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves; vanity, to what we would have others think of us.

- Jane Austen

The truest characters of ignorance are vanity and pride and arrogance.

- Samuel Butler

Vanity shall ensure your downfall. Humility shows character.

- f_d

on an aside, i just opened this thread, and enjoy your perspectives, if it's fair to extrapolate them from your quotes, an the clarity that settles from the vagueness i'm limited too because of how small a sample size im using for a metaphorical single regression with no interactions between variables or ability to cluster traits beyond vague ones that i probably intentionally misinterpret to serve my own sense of, well, i dislike the word narcissism, since rarely being challenging to someone who enjoys playing devil's advocate hardly makes them a narcissist... just like me randomly throwing in personality modelling isn't an attempt to impress, just something im reading about and enjoy, but that's uncommon motive, isn't it... lol

The difference between can and cannot is only three letters. Three letters that can shape your life's direction.

- Remez Sasson

on an aside, i just opened this thread, and enjoy your perspectives, if it's fair to extrapolate them from your quotes, an the clarity that settles from the vagueness i'm limited too because of how small a sample size im using for a metaphorical single regression with no interactions between variables or ability to cluster traits beyond vague ones that i probably intentionally misinterpret to serve my own sense of, well, i dislike the word narcissism, since rarely being challenging to someone who enjoys playing devil's advocate hardly makes them a narcissist... just like me randomly throwing in personality modelling isn't an attempt to impress, just something im reading about and enjoy, but that's uncommon motive, isn't it... lol

Thanks muse, glad to hear that there are others who enjoy such perspectives (besides me, of course, lol...), and you are right, I think, about the rareness of such traits as personality analisys/introspection... but there's nothing wrong... IMO this attitudes are coming with... after experiencing some kind of paritcular situations, when you become aware that you need something more, the books are far from being enough.. you know...and this motivates you every day, every hour...

these quotes, for me, are just a kind of a few moments of relax, a way to force myself to remaind why I'm doing what I am doing.... lol, a kind of Steve Jobs' quote about every day repeating "What would I do today if this day were the last day in my life ?".. lol

Archived