Premed 101 Forums

Do you get use to peeking at the privates?

I think it's funny that you call them "privates" but I'm assuming you don't do any of that kind of work...I'm in nursing and I promise you it's not as bad as you expect! I was a little nervous in the beginning but the first time I had to examine someone's genitals it was entirely a task just like any other. I was surprised at how little discomfort I felt (it was probably worse for the patient!), and it got significantly better fairly quickly. I would think that after seeing genitals in textbooks for all of med school and discussing them in a professional manner, it would be easy to approach it professionally. Don't stress!

I saw a naked old man when volunteering in the hospital... the nurse forgot to put the "do not enter" sign... thats when I decided I don't wanna go into family med lol

You got scared off just by seeing an old man naked? My hospital volunteer job involved wiping many an old man after he used the bathroom. Old women too. It's not that bad. If I could do it at 17, I don't imagine it will bother me as a medical student.

That's funny. Honestly neither the idea of looking at male or female "privates" concerns me (and I am heterosexual since it seems to be relevant to this convo). My primary concern would be making sure that the patient is comfortable. But then again, I am 30, have had two children and because of that, everyone and their dog have peeked at my privates!! There comes a point where you are grateful to have someone who is helping you peek at your privates because you just want to know that everything is ok.

Does that help at all?? I would say don't avoid family med because of this concern. Throughout med school, and after being in the situation you may become more comfortable.

That's funny. Honestly neither the idea of looking at male or female "privates" concerns me (and I am heterosexual since it seems to be relevant to this convo). My primary concern would be making sure that the patient is comfortable. But then again, I am 30, have had two children and because of that, everyone and their dog have peeked at my privates!! There comes a point where you are grateful to have someone who is helping you peek at your privates because you just want to know that everything is ok.

Does that help at all?? I would say don't avoid family med because of this concern. Throughout med school, and after being in the situation you may become more comfortable.

Also a little bit different for women. Women (for lack of a better word) are more conditioned for it than men are.

Yeah it might be that I haven't had a real relationship yet,(one shorter one) and while I've had sexual encounters, I'm pretty shy when it comes to sex.

Yes, then it likely will get easier the more you are exposed to it. Just try to be confident. It may also help to think of sexual organs as functional rather than in a sexual way as well. (when you are viewing them from a medical perspective only of course!!)

You will be fine! :-)

Wow, this thread has made me feel A) old and B) like a mother hen!!

Yes, then it likely will get easier the more you are exposed to it. Just try to be confident. It may also help to think of sexual organs as functional rather than in a sexual way as well. (when you are viewing them from a medical perspective only of course!!)

I got ya beat by 5 years so domt sweat it lol

last time i tried to treat the organ as functional rather than sexual..the guy said "it doesn't suck it self".

You got scared off just by seeing an old man naked? My hospital volunteer job involved wiping many an old man after he used the bathroom. Old women too. It's not that bad. If I could do it at 17, I don't imagine it will bother me as a medical student.

Ya, I draw the line at wiping people's bottoms. No way am I doing that.

Ya, I draw the line at wiping people's bottoms. No way am I doing that.

I think when someone is sick, suffering and unable to do it for themselves, anyone considering medicine should be more than willing to help them. It makes a difference when you're there with the person and you can recognize that they need help. Compassion overrides the "gross" factor in most cases...not saying that there haven't been a few times when I was gagging uncontrollably (when the patient is rolled over, not facing me of course- C Dif is disgusting!) but I'd rather be the one helping someone who's bedbound, frail, sick and totally helpless than the one standing outside the room because "it's too gross!"

I think when someone is sick, suffering and unable to do it for themselves, anyone considering medicine should be more than willing to help them. It makes a difference when you're there with the person and you can recognize that they need help. Compassion overrides the "gross" factor in most cases...not saying that there haven't been a few times when I was gagging uncontrollably (when the patient is rolled over, not facing me of course- C Dif is disgusting!) but I'd rather be the one helping someone who's bedbound, frail, sick and totally helpless than the one standing outside the room because "it's too gross!"

A physician should clean people and their poop only when they should to do so. They shouldn't be forced to do it like the Nurses are. (Cleaning poop is the reason why I don't want to consider Nursing as a plan B).

nursing attendants usually do that, they're not paying nurses 70 g a year to clean poop, lol

A physician should clean people and their poop only when they should to do so. They shouldn't be forced to do it like the Nurses are. (Cleaning poop is the reason why I don't want to consider Nursing as a plan B).

but sometimes i don't think of vaginas in a medical perspective... lol... i think too many diseased vaginas might honestly turn down my sex drive quite a bit...

yeah, that makes sense. the more you view them from a medical perspective from learning about it, it makes sense you would care less.

I get your point but I'd rather be the person who calls someone else to do it.

Archived