Premed 101 Forums

Ireland

Hi there,

I am currently a 4th year student at UBC.

I am interested in studying medicine,

but my stats are not competitive.

My average is 76% so far (1, 2, and 3rd years)

my mcat score is 22Q (5 for verbal, 8 for biological, 9 for physical)

I feel that my best chance ( if at all) of studying medicine is international (namely caribbean, ireland, or england).

I am wondering which school would be the best fit for my situation.

Thank you very much. I would very much appreciate constructive feedback.

An MCAT that low sets off red flags to me. The correlation isn't the greatest but one still exists between MCAT scores and your performance on medical licensing exams. With a low GPA as well I would not take the risk. You wouldn't make it into any of the legitimate Caribbean schools with that combination of GPA+MCAT either.

If you retook the MCAT and got a good score (30+) then you could possibly get into a Caribbean school like SGU AUC or Saba, or some of the Australian schools like Queensland. You should also consider whether you are truly capable of tackling medical school with your academic history. There are always stories of people doing poorly in undergrad and turning it around in medical school, but there are many more stories of repeated failure. Sorry to be such a bummer.

Hi there,

I am currently a 4th year student at UBC.

I am interested in studying medicine,

but my stats are not competitive.

My average is 76% so far (1, 2, and 3rd years)

my mcat score is 22Q (5 for verbal, 8 for biological, 9 for physical)

I feel that my best chance ( if at all) of studying medicine is international (namely caribbean, ireland, or england).

I am wondering which school would be the best fit for my situation.

Thank you very much. I would very much appreciate constructive feedback.

If you don't mind doing more school (second under gradate degree), you can potentially increase your overall GPA (pull it up to a ~%80 and you will be good). Like others have pointed out, retake the mcat. Do lots of verbal practice, as verbal was the hardest section for me as well. How are your extracurricular activities? If they are superb, you will be competitive for UBC medical school! Oh, and ace that MMI....;)

Archived