Premed 101 Forums

*CEGEP and medicine?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Maxime

Date:***12/27/2000 10:05 pm*PST

Hello,

I'd like to know if any of you have finished their CEGEP studies in natural sciences and have applied to Quebec medical schools or other Canadian schools? Was it hard to get in and how high of an average did you have when you got in? Do you have any recommendations that would help with my admissions process?

Thank you in advance for replying,

Maxime

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Marie

Date:***12/28/2000 3:37 pm*PST

Dear Maxime,

I graduated from CEGEP two years ago with a diploma in natural sciences. My grades were rather good, i had an average of about 87-88%. However, with those grades, i was told not to even try applying to medical school because they required much more. So i didn't. Instead i applied to pharmacy at U de M. I guess my grades weren't as great as i thought thought because i didn't get into there as well. Now i'm in biochemistry, enjoying it quite much though. I have many many friends who applied to medical school and didn't get in, their averages were around the 94-95%, they got the interview but then got rejected. So i guess my advice is get as high as you can and prepare yourself for the interview...

-M

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Maxime

Date:***1/5/2001 11:35 pm*PST

Hello Marie,

I heard that it was pretty tough to enter, but 94%-95%? Makes me worry...... . Well, I'll still do my best to get in and if I don't the first time around, I'll do a year or two in BioChem or Biology and then maybe I'll get in (hopefully!). Did your friends tell you how the interview went and what kind of questions they were asked?

Thanks for replying,

Maxime

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***1/13/2001 2:19 pm*PST

Hello,

I don't know how difficult it is to get into a Quebec medical school. However, I know that for most English-speaking Canadian medical schools, a GPA of around 85% is quite strong, and a GPA over 90% is very strong. If you look at the statistics for UBC medical school, one of the higher-ranked Canadian medical schools, the average GPA of an accepted student is 81%.

The average MCAT score is around 30.

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived