Premed 101 Forums

Is membership in provincial/national medical association mandatory? If not, worth it?

• 1 year later...

Did anyone renew their membership OMA/CMA as a resident? It's a lot steeper like almost $200 a year. Besides getting CMAJ etc, is there any real benefit? Even their cell phone plans aren't that great compared with the corporate plans from the hospitals. Any other major benefits I'm missing out on?

Anyone using their car or home insurance?

OMA/CMA membership is not mandatory for residents, so you need to take a look at the benefits and decide for yourself.

Someone told me that it is required for practicing physicians in Ontario - I'm not completely sure of this.

You can withdraw from the OMA even as a doctor - you still have to pay fees mind you so it is more of a political statement. Ran into a doctor that did that 6 months ago.

Did anyone renew their membership OMA/CMA as a resident? It's a lot steeper like almost $200 a year. Besides getting CMAJ etc, is there any real benefit? Even their cell phone plans aren't that great compared with the corporate plans from the hospitals. Any other major benefits I'm missing out on?

Anyone using their car or home insurance?

I use the life, disability, home and car. All awesome.

Is it mandatory that you are a member of the CMA/OMA? (e.g. in ontario)

If not, is it worth it to be a member after finishing medical school (and pay the annual fees that go up to $1200?)

I didn't renew as a resident, mostly because I didn't realize we needed to after finishing med school.

Then when I found out, I didn't really think I was missing anything.

There are good insurance/disability via say RBC. Depending on where your are alumni from TD can give pretty awesome rates for things.

I can't remember if you need to stay a member of OMA to keep your OMA insurance plans. I remember something I was looking at didn't seem like a good idea, mobility wise. But too long ago for me to remember if it was that. But probably was.

I didn't renew as a resident, mostly because I didn't realize we needed to after finishing med school.

Then when I found out, I didn't really think I was missing anything.

There are good insurance/disability via say RBC. Depending on where your are alumni from TD can give pretty awesome rates for things.

I can't remember if you need to stay a member of OMA to keep your OMA insurance plans. I remember something I was looking at didn't seem like a good idea, mobility wise. But too long ago for me to remember if it was that. But probably was.

I looked at them a few years ago. Life/Disability was much better for my needs than RBC.

For the car, I have been with TD Melloch Monnex since I was an engineer (they do multiple provinces med associations plus multiple engineering ones). I have a good deal with them now.

Insurance is variable based on what you want/need. It's hard to recommend something to a second person based on my needs.

The other thing I should add is the OMA programs refund any remaining premiums every year after claims and operating expenses are paid for. This year, I got 63% of my life insurance and 35% of my disability back.

• 1 month later...

It means something to support your professional organizations, they are physicians and staff working all the time on top of their regular clinical duties. Negotiating better services agreements, health policy, and advocating on your behalf. They play a huge part in preserving our professional standing.

No, there is no requirement to be a member of the OMA or CMA.

Furthermore, there is also no requirement (once you are staff) to be a member of either the CCFP or the Royal College.

With the above organizations, usually you are required to keep track of your CME, which can be done via "non-member" status. This is usually cheaper.

Save your pennies, especially in residency. Especially in Ontario, where the residency contract sucks, CMPA rates are the highest in the country, and there are a $hit load of other fees payable out of your miserly salary per year.

It means something to support your professional organizations, they are physicians and staff working all the time on top of their regular clinical duties. Negotiating better services agreements, health policy, and advocating on your behalf. They play a huge part in preserving our professional standing.

If you feel your professional organization is carrying through with all the above, that is great. Not everyone does.

Just an FYI: so I was looking into the OMA deal as a staff person and I am wrong in my last remark.

CMA membership is not required

OMA membership, because Ontario is totally f_u_c_ked is actually mandatory and you can either pay them right away or they can take it from your OHIP billings. Wankers.

Archived