Premed 101 Forums

OOP Friendly Schools

Guest aclementine

Guest aclementine

Hi, i will be finishing up my degree at Queens in April 2007, and plan on applying to ontario med schools. Since i don't really have a strong application, i'm looking to schools outside ontario for more options.

What OOP friendly schools should I be looking into?

Guest Jochi1543

I think MB and UBC are pretty good in regards to OOP.

EDIT: I presume by "friendly" you mean you don't have to have a perfect GPA to be accepted, MB applies a weighting formula to your GPA and emphasizes the MCAT, so it's good if your grades are a little weak, and UBC pays a lot of attention to your last 2 years and pre-req average, as well as non-academic qualities.

Guest jgray2

if by weak you mean poor extra curriculars and non-academic qualities instead, then sask and calgary are for you.

i say calgary b/c for oop, the biggest hurdle for you is to get over the formula cutoff score that is made by your gpa + mcat.

i say sask because a) mcat cutoffs are very low, B) only your gpa is required for an interview. things like reference letters are mere formalities.

Guest Madz25

Just to add to Jochi's post:

Once you get an interview at Manitoba you have a VERY good chance of being accepted. They go through their OOP waitlist really quickly. Interview is given based on GPA/MCAT.

Madz

Guest dayne67

I don't think there are any schools that are OOP-friendly in Canada, EXCEPT for the one's in Ontario. All other schools practice provincial protectionism. It is true that some are better than the others. Manitoba has been known to accept more than the usual OOP applicants that score very high on the MCAT.

But nearly all non-Ontario schools usually limit their out of province quota to a maximum of 10% of their total available seats. IMO, that's not much. And in many cases, it does make getting into the out-of-province schools just as difficult or even more difficult (stats-wise).

UofT, Queen's, and Western are the only schools that are really OOP-friendly. But that fact doesn't really help an Ontario resident too much.

I applied as an OOP to a lot of school's.

I think Western, Queen's and Alberta are all quite friendly. 10-15% of the class as OOPs is quite a lot actually.

UBC is acutally unfriendly since they offer so few spots for OOP.

You have to remember that limiting th spots actually makes sense. The provincial govt pays for med school education and you aren't likely stay in a province that is not your 'home' , even if you go to med school there. Student loans also come from your home province rather than the province you go to med school in. I think 15% of a class is a good number and does offer those students who want it an experience away from home and provides some diversity to the class, while not losing too many of the students educated in a province to their province of origin.

Guest scrubbed

Regarding UBC, I should mention that fact that UBC's residency requirement is less stringent than other provinces.

If you've attended university in BC, but grew up in another province, you would be classified as a BC resident. I don't think that this is the case for some schools in other provinces.

Guest Jochi1543

AB's residency requirement is the best...one of the main reasons why I chose Alberta when I immigrated to Canada. I've been living in Alberta for a little over a month, and when I apply this fall, I will be considered an in-province, as long as I stay here continuously up to the day classes start. So if you wanna leave the 'rents and move elsewhere after graduation, this would probably be a good choice of province to move to.

Archived