Premed 101 Forums

Uoit

check212

Why do you think it would be a bad idea?

The only bad thing I can see is that a smaller university may offer fewer interesting courses or research opportunities, though I'm just assuming that and haven't actually seen what courses they offer. It's accredited and recognized by med schools (in Ontario at least, so I'm assuming in other provinces as well) so it's counted just the same as other schools.

Rumour has it that being at a smaller university = slightly easier courses, more potential one-on-one time with profs.

I dont know why people say it is easy because it is a smaller university. Maybe it was back when it started but now it has been a long time and it is not small anymore. They dont give you marks for doing nothing. The only benefit is that class sizes are smaller, newer construction, and there are more opportunities to get to know your professors and get help from them.

My biology teacher in grade 12 was from UoIT.

Not only did she not know what osmosis was but she couldn't tell her right hand from her left.

This made my day...I also had a teacher like that but he was making $120,000+ as a high school teacher....lol better than some of my profs.

UOIT is the MIT of Canada.

I've been to their robotics competition in the 11th grade back in 2008. It was a joke. The way they set up the competition was stupidity (the best robots and worst robots were fighting each other at the final round instead of the top 6). MIT is uncomparable to UOIT. Please don't compare UOIT or Waterloo to MIT, it seams like your insulting MIT.

It's by no means easy (at all) to do well and many things are actually marked really tough. Tons of assignments too... but the good thing is if you put in the effort you'll get a good result.

The point at the end is, your life science/biology degree is equally useless to the one you could get from uoft or mcgill, in other words... no one gives a sh*t where you got a life sci degree from lol.

Just a little statistic to show that it's by no means *easy* to do very well here. Class averages are never above 70 in the science courses, and physics mid terms have a >50% failure rate with class averages in the 30s.

It's by no means easy (at all) to do well and many things are actually marked really tough. Tons of assignments too... but the good thing is if you put in the effort you'll get a good result.

The point at the end is, your life science/biology degree is equally useless to the one you could get from uoft or mcgill, in other words... no one gives a sh*t where you got a life sci degree from lol.

Just a little statistic to show that it's by no means *easy* to do very well here. Class averages are never above 70 in the science courses, and physics mid terms have a >50% failure rate with class averages in the 30s.

I agree with you. It is funny some people who have not even been there judge that it is so easy. In first and second year, I had a friend going to UTSC and she only had midterms and exams (they had all the previous exams and they were always similar) and she kept complaining that it is hard. I had so many assignments that i barely got any time to study for the midterms or exams. I havent seen any old exams or midterms that I could study from yet.

It may have been easy in the first few years when it started but now they are competing with other schools and have made their curriculum harder so they could match with other schools.

I agree with you. It is funny some people who have not even been there judge that it is so easy. In first and second year, I had a friend going to UTSC and she only had midterms and exams (they had all the previous exams and they were always similar) and she kept complaining that it is hard. I had so many assignments that i barely got any time to study for the midterms or exams. I havent seen any old exams or midterms that I could study from yet.

It may have been easy in the first few years when it started but now they are competing with other schools and have made their curriculum harder so they could match with other schools.

My moron of a biology teacher whom I had to explain action potentials to (because she couldn't even get enough of a grip from the textbook to regurgitate it to us) got a 3.8 GPA at UoIT. I'm judging.

jesus where the hell do i go then if i dont want to stay in residency

UFT is "too hard to get a high GPA"

ryerson is "****

uoit is "****"

york is "****"

fuuuuu-

Mongtomery, go to York if you wanna be safe, it's still easy/boring as hell (in first year anyway) but at least you'll be safe, if you can't get a good GPA at york, you won't be getting anything higher anywhere else.

Mongtomery, go to York if you wanna be safe, it's still easy/boring as hell (in first year anyway) but at least you'll be safe, if you can't get a good GPA at york, you won't be getting anything higher anywhere else.

I would disagree. At any university it depends on the courses you take. There are courses at york that are harder than some offered at UTSG, suposively the hardest school...Regardless, when you hit 2nd year at york I suggest you switch to another program as the course load becomes more significant. At the 3rd Year level, almost all the Biology courses are death trap courses and the worst part is that unlike Mac, UofT, and Western which offer various types of courses in the biology field, we are limited to only a few :(. My point is, upper year courses at york are VERY limited unlike other schools.

Oh and research opportunities not many... there are some but not as much as other schools (I am starting to feel alot of regrets...). Word of advice, in the long run going to York will hurt you in terms of research and grades will be no different than other schools once you hit 2nd year. So unless your planning to go major in something other than science, switch to another program :)

I would disagree. At york it depends on the courses you take. There are courses at york that are harder than some offered at UTSG, suposively the hardest school...Regardless, when you hit 2nd year at york I suggest you switch to another program as the course load becomes 5x harder. At the 3rd Year level, almost all the Biology courses are death trap courses and the worst part is that unlike Mac, UofT, Western which offer various types of courses in the biology field, we are limited to only a few :(. My point is, upper years at york your VERY limited to your courses unlike other schools :(

Yeah I noticed, my plan was to swtich into kin, they have more interesting sounding upper year courses

My moron of a biology teacher whom I had to explain action potentials to (because she couldn't even get enough of a grip from the textbook to regurgitate it to us) got a 3.8 GPA at UoIT. I'm judging.

First of all your teacher could be lying about the gpa. Second i already said back in the days when it had first started in fact until 3 or 4 years ago it was really easy because it was a new university and they needed more students to come and graduate. However now they are competing with other schools and have changed their curriculum. You cannot judge a school based on how they were the first few years. I doubt york, queens or even UofT was as hard as they are now at the start.

My cousin went to the same high school as me but after 8 years when I went the school had changed from an ordinary to a genius school.

I think you mentioned that your teacher went to UOIT in 2008 but it is close to 2012 now. That is a huge gap and a lot has changed since then.

like it was mentioned, it WAS easy when it first started out. It's 2011 now, things change. Unless your bio teacher did her entire degree + bachelor of ed in the last year or so altogether, I think your "judgement" is as inaccurate as it can get.

like it was mentioned, it WAS easy when it first started out. It's 2011 now, things change. Unless your bio teacher did her entire degree + bachelor of ed in the last year or so altogether, I think your "judgement" is as inaccurate as it can get.

LOL it was her first year teaching so she graduated 3 years ago.

This woman once argued with me for a whole 15 minutes about how constricting blood vessels lowers blood pressure. (I clearly have personal beef with her and her associated university so don't take this too seriously)

This woman once argued with me for a whole 15 minutes about how constricting blood vessels lowers blood pressure. (I clearly have personal beef with her and her associated university so don't take this too seriously)

and who held which view?

I was wondering if studying life sciences in an IT unviersity would be a less than stellar idea.

I don't know what you mean by IT University, as you're saying it like it makes the slightest difference in medical school admissions. By IT school, you mean UOIT uses WebCT which allows you to access all your lectures in advance prior to class and download them on your computer and many other features on the laptop the school provides you. All it means is that it makes your learning easier and electronic

Medical schools could care less what school you go to for undergraduate studies within Canada, that's practically the first thing they state on all sites and in OMSAS. A really good friend of mine came into UOIT Life sciences with so much scholarship money that he actually established his own scholarship at UOIT to help students, destroyed his program and got into Michael G. DeGroote school of medicine after his 3rd year of studies. And here I read some nonsense about some random forum member arguing with a high school teacher who supposedly got a fact wrong, thus representing UOIT and saying it's a crappy school. The ignorance in these responses makes me sick lol, do your own research this thread almost takes away from how great PreMed 101 is.

And here I read some nonsense about some random forum member arguing with a high school teacher who supposedly got a fact wrong, thus representing UOIT and saying it's a crappy school. The ignorance in these responses makes me sick lol, do your own research this thread almost takes away from how great PreMed 101 is.

Also, one, 2 or 3 facts wrong a class- I can deal with.

Every other fact wrong = 3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

Also, one, 2 or 3 facts wrong a class- I can deal with.

Every other fact wrong = 3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

I feel like your comments are totally misguided. Using one person, and graduate of an undergraduate program, to represent an entire school and its academic credibility is non-sense, but I think this is clear to everyone.

I actually think that smaller class sizes can often make it more difficult to get a 4.0. The class average that profs aim for is the same for a class of 200+ or 50. If 70% of the class of 50, by pure randomness, would otherwise be in the top third of the class of 200+, it would be way harder to get a higher grade in that class of 50.

Archived