Premed 101 Forums

Uoit

check212

I feel like your comments are totally misguided. Using one person, and graduate of an undergraduate program, to represent an entire school and its academic credibility is non-sense, but I think this is clear to everyone.

I actually think that smaller class sizes can often make it more difficult to get a 4.0. The class average that profs aim for is the same for a class of 200+ or 50. If 70% of the class of 50, by pure randomness, would otherwise be in the top third of the class of 200+, it would be way harder to get a higher grade in that class of 50.

why would the proportion of the students in a typical bell curve be any different in a smaller sized class?

By that logic, you could also get 70% of the students in a class of 50 that would've been in the first third of a bell curve of the calss of 200+, it would be way easier to get a higher grade in that class of 50.

LOL I believe it.

I think you are wrong on all counts. I can't comment on bio, but there is a huge upper year course selection in psych. Oh and we have TONS of research opportunities. I don't know why students complain about this. I'm in 4 labs right now and only applied to 2 of them. And there are plenty of paid research positions through RAY- I was offered 3 this year plus a CLAY.

I hate York with a passion, but that's because most of the people who go there suck at life/have an IQ of 85/hurt my eyes to look at, not because of anything research/grade related.

Captaincrunchman, I'm gonna come to you for therapy in a coupla years when I finally have a psychotic breakdown from the infinite dosages of stupidity I'm exposed to everyday at York.

Captaincrunchman, I'm gonna come to you for therapy in a coupla years when I finally have a psychotic breakdown from the infinite dosages of stupidity I'm exposed to everyday at York.

oh good god don't get me started on the idiot factor at york.

No word of a lie I had 3 girls ask me how to spell dictatorial and what it meant and another is taking 18 credits this year and feels overwhelmed (no she is not working, doesn't have kids, etc - I asked) yet when I asked how long she expects it will take her to complete her degree she said 4 years (math doesn't seem to be her strongest suit, add logic and problem solving as well).

:eek:

No word of a lie I had 3 girls ask me how to spell dictatorial and what it meant and another is taking 18 credits this year and feels overwhelmed (no she is not working, doesn't have kids, etc - I asked) yet when I asked how long she expects it will take her to complete her degree she said 4 years (math doesn't seem to be her strongest suit, add logic and problem solving as well).

So I walk into my first chemistry lab ever in university, excited as hell.

10 minutes later I find myself trying to explain to my lab partner how to calculate perimiter...... of a rectangle.

To any non-york student that doesn't feel our pain and is judging us in their heads right now---there's a threshold of stupidity a person can put up with before they start being condescending.

So I walk into my first chemistry lab ever in university, excited as hell.

10 minutes later I find myself trying to explain to my lab partner how to calculate perimiter...... of a rectangle.

To any non-york student that doesn't feel our pain and is judging us in their heads right now---there's a threshold of stupidity a person can put up with before they start being condescending.

well to be fair, I'd probably have an issue with that too but that's only because I hadn't taken a chem course in over 17 years lol

Haha a lot of my friends are taking 18 credits

Same I only go to York because it's close lol I'm pretty sure most people do, or a lot of people dO

I'd actually say that we get taught better at york... because the profs know everyone's stupid, they overexplain things like they're addressing idiots (and they are), I'm sure it's gonna be useful in higher years, but for now it's annoying as hell.

I'd actually say that we get taught better at york... because the profs know everyone's stupid, they overexplain things like they're addressing idiots (and they are), I'm sure it's gonna be useful in higher years, but for now it's annoying as hell.

Did you quote the right post? Haha I just meant I think a lot of people go to York b/c its close and I only said that because my first day of Frosh consisted of going around in a circle of people stating why they chose to go to York and literally everyone said b/c it was close to home lol

And yeah I agree. I think York is terrible but not b/c people are 'dumb' haha, I'd rather be surrounded them than by competitive people! Does it really bother you that people don't get things though? I find it kind of funny lol but I don't really get frustrated or anything:

I got one for you: in first year psych, the prof was talking about dreams, and some dumb girl raises her hand and says "last night I had a dream that I had a shower and brushed my teeth and washed my hair. What does that mean." Prof tries to humour dumb girl by explaining and then idiot cuts her off and goes, "no I don't think thats it. I think it means...blahblahblah."

Biggest facepalm of life.

Well that's stupid. I hope they aren't applying to any professional schools.

Nope- I'm finished 4th year, and it never got less annoying, lol. Actually, in some ways it's worse because in classes like neuroscience, people think they are smart but still make the dumbest comments. ugh.

Lol I think a few do

And I know this sounds bizarre, but sometimes people who ask stupid questions are the smartest people, I knew a lot of people like that in HS anyway

And I know a girl whos in UofT chem eng first year and she's getting 90s with her 7 course load and she's so dumb when you talk to her (not to be rude) but she just lacks common and knowledge like random example... she has no idea who Martin Luther King Jr. is until I told her lol - anyways that was a long, random rant lol but pretty much not everyone who sounds 'dumb' and asks 'dumb' questions is as dumb as they seem!

Archived