Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

No kidding. Though I gotta admit, I'm pretty horrified at the AQ scale.

Though some shots at UBC are unjustified, I don't know whether you can say they're not being cruel by giving false hope. "They had no way to anticipate the strength of this year's applicant pool" is totally untrue. Plug in the applicant data from the past 5 years and it's obvious that people with averages below 80 stand almost no chance.

Giving false hope is so much worse than telling people they have no chance at all. I can't believe anyone would say otherwise. Several schools out there pretty openly recommend that you do not apply if your marks are below a certain range. I think UBC should do the same.

Unless, of course, it's one of the ways they fund the admissions process...

You're wrong. My cGPA was 77% and I was accepted last year.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you suggesting that people who can atleast keep a low 80s average with all that crap are not suitable to study medicine. Or is insufficient time an excuse if you have to work for your survival. Ive seen many people on this forum who have had to raise kids during undergrad and are in med school now without 90ish averages. You cant comment on my excuse for bad and good grades unless you put yourself in my shoes, live the same life I had to and do better than me.

I was not implying anything. What I explicitly said was that studying medicine requires significantly more time than undergraduate studies.

I also believe that one's financial burden will increase during the period where one is studying medicine.

Stop blaming UBC. Any applicant could have just as easily plugged in the applicant data from the past 5 years and logically came to the conclusion that they stood almost no chance. No one was forcing anyone's hand to apply. It was each and every applicant's own choice to do it. Would you rather have the freedom to at least try? All UBC did was leave the door open, we were the ones who walked through it.

Your own 'shot' at UBC is unjustified as well. To add insult to injury, now you imply that they are scamming applicants to fund the admissions process? Seriously?

Wow. Way to misinterpret my statement. Have you read Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal"?

I am not saying that they are scamming applicants. I'm just saying that there's no need to quote so-called "requirements" that are so much lower than they actually are. It's a waste of the applicant's time (and money and effort), and it's a waste of UBC's time for having to read it, when the applicant has no chance anyway.

So why wouldn't you tell people? I can't think of a good reason. "Giving people freedom to apply", in my opinion, is lousy. The only justified reason I can think of is out of monetary necessity - which, like you, I hope is not true.

We're not going to get anywhere in this argument, since we have a fundamental difference in viewpoints. You seem to support the opacity in the process (which gives people "hope"). I support transparency (which gives people the ability to realistically judge where they stand).

You're wrong. My cGPA was 77% and I was accepted last year.

Fair enough. But I'm not saying they should tell people not to apply - I'm in support of something like, "Applicants with averages below 80% are encouraged to apply, but should be aware that strong non-academic qualifications are necessary to secure an interview."

Hey guys, got my regrets today.

Score

Adjusted Grade Point Average 79.09

AQ Score 13.64

Overall Grade Point Average 74.51

NAQ Score 34.84

TFR Score 48.48

The only strange thing is that I calculate my oGPA as about 72.8 and my aGPA as 79.26, but that's still not getting an interview. GPA is king, guys. :)

I'm not bitter at all, and I"m very pleased with my decision to move to Whitehorse and broaden my IP status to include AB and SK (in a few years if need be). UBC let me know very clearly last year with the removal of the 10-yr rule and the new AQ system that my kind was not wanted (I kid!) and that I should try my hand elsewhere. So that's what I've done, and I look forward to UofC's interview schedule in January. I'll even grad with Mithril et al if I get into UofC this yr, since they have a 3-yr program. :)

For the record, and to be "holistic":

Worst year (was dropped): 42% average while homeless and in school

MCAT: 33R

Started own business, grew to $600K+ over 4 years and to 7 employees, while in school FT.

Personal trainer, running coach, sports retail management

St John Ambulance for 4.5yrs, Officer

Ironman, ultramarathons, adventure races (6-day, 500km+ wilderness extreme sports race)

All these were thousands of hours

Much more as well, I'm about as well-rounded as you can get.

I believe my NAQ last year was 16.88? My AQ was about half (and my GPA is about the same)

kyla I feel for you and I wish you good luck

if this is really something you want, be strong and dont lose hope

You may be right but have you accounted for the possibility that you may underestimate or not fully know the extent of their NAQ?

I have 82.3% aGPA and have not been rejected yet... but I will with that aGPA.

My NAQ will be good... ~34, but not enough for interview.

So, FYI, more cuts on Thursday (and possibly Friday). Y'all have not escaped the wrath of UBC medicine yet

Good luck to everyone who still have onging applications - hope to see some of you in Calgary for our interview day :)

I hope to see you in Calgary! I'm IP there too and have high hopes for their admissions system.

I am pleased with the way UofC is handling inequities in the admissions system. Compared to the lip service of "socioeconmic diversity" from some people, UofC is actually making it a REAL, TANGIBLE thing in their admissions process, with an actual number attached. That, to me, is amazing.

UBC isn't my school, I figured that out a year ago. I was upset, but I"m over it now. I know that if I take 10 courses this year, and achieve an A+ in each one (which is so far happening), I'll be at 81.4% and I'll gain about 7 points out of the 12 I would have needed for an interview. UofC is good for me, Queens is good for me, and MUN will accept me as a YT applicant once I feel like I'm stable enough in the YT to apply through their stream.

I had better go, I have another 14-hr workday ahead of me tomorrow, capped off by an hour walk home in the blowing -20degree weather! This place is an adventure! :)

I hope to see you in Calgary! I'm IP there too and have high hopes for their admissions system.

I am pleased with the way UofC is handling inequities in the admissions system. Compared to the lip service of "socioeconmic diversity" from some people, UofC is actually making it a REAL, TANGIBLE thing in their admissions process, with an actual number attached. That, to me, is amazing.

UBC isn't my school, I figured that out a year ago. I was upset, but I"m over it now. I know that if I take 10 courses this year, and achieve an A+ in each one (which is so far happening), I'll be at 81.4% and I'll gain about 7 points out of the 12 I would have needed for an interview. UofC is good for me, Queens is good for me, and MUN will accept me as a YT applicant once I feel like I'm stable enough in the YT to apply through their stream.

I had better go, I have another 14-hr workday ahead of me tomorrow, capped off by an hour walk home in the blowing -20degree weather! This place is an adventure! :)

I am so impressed with your determination, I really hope this year is the year for you. Keep pushing Kyla I have a feeling U of C will show you some love. Good luck. :)

I just want to add one more thing...

I applied in the past even though I knew I would be ineligible. It took me time and cost me some money, but it gave me AQ and NAQ scores, which are really valuable to know.

Also, I would like to add that no-one knew which AQ scale would be used this year, and we certainly didn't know last year that the AQ was going to become so GPA-heavy. Using the AQ scales from previous years, I would have (barely) received an interview last year, and with my continued strong coursework I would have definitely received it this year.

I knew what I went back to school a few years ago with the idea of becoming a physician that my poor marks from the late 1990's were going to affect me. I knew it would be a long road. I still don't think I would change a thing, though.

So, FYI, more cuts on Thursday (and possibly Friday). Y'all have not escaped the wrath of UBC medicine yet

I hope you are wrong! I hope tomorrow is a day of peace...or invites. The wait is killing me :(

I also want to say that it sucks that they have the max at 90. There are many students who have 90+ averages. To them it is unfair as there is no differentiation between a 90 vs 95.

I highly doubt that an applicant with 95% is going to lose sleep over the fact that someone with 90% will also receive a 50/50 AQ score. Come on.

You may still get an interview. 82.3% is not that bad.

Last year 99% rejection was sent out on Wednesday.

I hope you get it.

Fair enough. But I'm not saying they should tell people not to apply - I'm in support of something like, "Applicants with averages below 80% are encouraged to apply, but should be aware that strong non-academic qualifications are necessary to secure an interview."
You mean something like "Please note that due to limited enrolment, meeting the minimum academic standing does not guarantee admission to the program, or even consideration for an interview"? Because there is an entire website for that.

I can definitely feel for rejected applicants, but this is a professional school you're applying to. If you can't judge your own competitiveness by comparing your stats with the class averages over the past decade, then you have no business applying to med school in the first place. As blunt and as mean as that sounds, it's the honest truth. I wish people like Kyla and all others who've gracefully accepted their rejection and not turned this thread into a tirade against UBC's admissions process and its students the best of luck with other schools and in subsequent years.

Meant to post this way earlier in the day, but got to it just now.

AGPA: 80.73

OGPA: 79.46

AQ: 19.09

NAQ: 26.67

Compared to last year, if I divide the AQ score by 2 under the assumption that the scale is the same, then my AQ would be 9.545, which is up by 0.1, whereas my NAQ would have been 13.335, which is down by 0.6, despite having solidified my volunteering and other things.

Since I'm already a degree holder and the only option for me is to do an MSc in something I'm interested in, I doubt UBC will be the school for me, I expect the next years to be even more competitive in terms of applicants and the way that things are going, I'm going to look elsewhere.

It's...really disappointing when your IP school is out. I honestly can't say much about UBC's application process, it is what it is. While I perfectly feel rejection's pain, ultimately it is their decision and what they wants as applicants; clearly UBC believes that a solid academic background and willingness to study are important over diverse background.

No need to bash, just try again and everywhere.

As a side note, I remember that someone who graduated from UBC in the early 2000s told me that their application cycle was based on academics heavily as well. Given that it was changed to diversity in the mid-2000s until recently I would expect that for people with lots of patience I think UBC may change it to a more balanced application evaluation. But just my $0.02. Good luck all.

I'm sorry but this is just such poor judgement and a completely unfair statement to make. I know a few people in my class who have overcome extreme hardship and have still managed to maintain A averages. In fact, that statement essentially spits on not only my classmates but all the years above me. EVERYONE has their crap to deal with and life is NOT fair. The degree of resiliency found in those who can maintain high marks while going through extremely difficult times is what separates some applicants apart from others. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but the truth is that you are just not as competitive of an applicant that you think you are... stop placing the blame on others.

Wow,

You commented like this before even knowing what kind of hardships that I did face. They were extremely substantial and I let UBC know that. For the record, I had a couple of devastating years, not even anything to do with my study habits, then sucked it up, did a second undergad in science, pulling off competitive grades even in fourth year and even by this year's out of touch with reality's standards, while volunteering substantially in the community and keeping up lots of extracurriculars and subsequently got rejectd after two rounds of interviews. If you think they judged me based on true merit, you are quite mistaken because I AM what you would call a competitive applicant. This year's application process would exclude any applicant such as myself, who deserves a shot at pursuing the career he or she has been working for many years. Your classmates still got in by the old and more level playing field system. Please do not take offense to something I did not even say. The new system jacks up the level playing field into something incredibly twisted. That is the simple reality of it.

Every anecdote I have heard about Calg fits with what you are saying. They have clearly de-emphasized GPA with their recent changes as well.... As long as you have decent Full Time sem's, you might be able to do it.

The other nice thing about Calg is that Alberta is another UBC (i.e. takes high-gpa applicants), so ppl applying to calg as lower gpa applicants have a chance.

what?!

I thought in previous years 82% IP would have a good chance getting interview...

Yeah in the past when AQ is maxed at 85%, everyone needs a pretty good NAQ to get an interview, which was much more balanced. You wouldn't find successful applicants with crazy gpa but blank resumes, but now it's possible. Seriously, can anyone really get as low as 10/50 NAQ under the new system? I know people with high gpa will complain that it wasn't fair back then, but there's a reason why 85+ is considered a 4.0 already.

You mean something like "Please note that due to limited enrolment, meeting the minimum academic standing does not guarantee admission to the program, or even consideration for an interview"? Because there is an entire website for that.

I can definitely feel for rejected applicants, but this is a professional school you're applying to. If you can't judge your own competitiveness by comparing your stats with the class averages over the past decade, then you have no business applying to med school in the first place. As blunt and as mean as that sounds, it's the honest truth. I wish people like Kyla and all others who've gracefully accepted their rejection and not turned this thread into a tirade against UBC's admissions process and its students the best of luck with other schools and in subsequent years.

On the whole, I agree with everything you've said.

But I don't know. Doesn't anyone find something very wrong when someone is awarded 1.5/50 for AQ and 50/50 for NAQ? That means you can totally max out the non-academic portion, meet the academic requirements, and STILL not receive consideration for the interview.

I think the half-transparency is the main culprit for all the complaints. No admissions system can be perfect. But by giving the breakdown scores upon regrets, it puts the system under the microscope, leaving the flaws for everyone to see and examine.

I'm not sure what to make of the selective well-wishing in the last part. I also don't know who you're referring to when you mention a tirade against UBC's admissions process, but if it refers to me, I assure you that this is not a petty little tirade. Some of us reading this discussion will get into medical school, and will perhaps be involved in admissions one day. I'm just trying to raise some points for discussion that deserve attention and critical analysis, which are key to process improvement. It is nothing personal, and it has nothing to do with me - I haven't even gotten my own response from UBC yet.

EDIT: Regardless, this thread should probably go back to being a place for people to post their results. I won't talk about it here anymore.

Yeah in the past when AQ is maxed at 85%, everyone needs a pretty good NAQ to get an interview, which was much more balanced. You wouldn't find successful applicants with crazy gpa but blank resumes, but now it's possible. Seriously, can anyone really get as low as 10/50 NAQ under the new system? I know people with high gpa will complain that it wasn't fair back then, but there's a reason why 85+ is considered a 4.0 already.

Couldnt agree more. High GPA people can get into med schools anywhere in North American (USA, OOP, etc.)

Our precious UBC med has been invaded by high-GPA only and now NAQ means far less.

Furthermore, they dont publish the std.dev of the NAQ. The std.dev of the AQ is huge!!

If everyone gets about 30 +/- 5 points for the NAQ, then it does very little anyway... I dont know if this is the case or not.

Archived