Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

Adjusted Grade Point Average 78.08

NAQ Score 24.12

AQ Score 10.27

TFR Score 34.39

I knew I shouldn't have expected too much out of my AQ score, but I GROSSLY overestimated by NAQ. I have clinical HCP-to-patient experience! A thousand :( :( :( . My grades are in the 90s now, but I don't have much nursing school left to be able to bring my aGPA up much higher.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a bit tired of people denigrating the UBC Medicine application system. If I were in the 75.99-79.99 category, I would rather be put through their "games" and hope for the best instead of being rejected without a full file review.

UBC admissions is trying their best here, people. I don't believe that they are spending time and energy looking through applications with lower GPA to give "a lot of false hope". This statement is incredulous.

I dont see how its the 'best' way to be fair to people who maintained low 80 averages even when they couldnt give enough time to studies because they had some family responsibilities, had to keep jobs to support their household income, take care of sick parents and younger siblings by making an AQ scale which rules them out of the competition. With this pure numbers game system how can people from low income households get an interview unless their born geniuses or find someway not to sleep at all.

I'm a bit tired of people denigrating the UBC Medicine application system. If I were in the 75.99-79.99 category, I would rather be put through their "games" and hope for the best instead of being rejected without a full file review.

UBC admissions is trying their best here, people. I don't believe that they are spending time and energy looking through applications with lower GPA to give "a lot of false hope". This statement is incredulous.

I think what some people mean is that with the current GPA to AQ extrapolation, a 76 gives you an AQ of 3.33. That means there is no NAQ score (max 50) through which you would get an interview. Clearly it doesn't make sense to tell students they can still get into medicine when they can't clear the interview cutoff no matter what their extra-curriculars are.

What they should be saying is that full-file reviews are irrelevant for IPs with GPA < 78.15% (=10.47AQ) or OOPs with GPA <83.05% (=26.807 AQ).

[edit: grammar]

I think what some people mean is that with the current GPA to AQ extrapolation, a 76 gives you an AQ of 3.33. That means there is no NAQ score (max 50) through which you would get an interview. Clearly it doesn't make sense to tell students they can still get into medicine when they can't clear the interview cutoff no matter what their extra-curriculars are.

What they should be saying is that full-file reviews are irrelevant for IPs with GPA < 78.15% (=10.47AQ) or OOPs with GPA <83.05% (=26.807 AQ).

[edit: grammar]

Easy to say in hindsight, but it's not possible to know the strength of the applicant pool beforehand.

If this year is following the same trend as last year, there will be one more day of rejections before invites are sent out on Friday.

Agreed. I too beleive that UBC is trying their best ... I sincerely doubt that they sit around their boiling cauldron of undergraduate transcripts and volunteer hospital visitation logs dreaming up ways to screw applicants.

Still, that little thing my mom told me when I was 4 about "how would you like it if..." applies here. Not terribly considerate of UBC to tell applicants that they can expect a shiit-bomb in the inbox at any point throughout the week. A mass email sent out with both rejections and acceptances at a sane hour would ... save some sanity.

Bottom line: this is the sort of thing that you can laugh about 10 years from now. It just sucks now.

Wondering if anyone with their last names in the M to Z range got rejected today? Just wondering if they're doing this alphabetically....

My last name is in that alphabetical range.

Also, seems like people right up to the TFR cutoff were being notified, so no correlation with "standing" (ie those with weaker stats being notified today).

Just thought I'd contribute my stats:

Average: 87.87%

AQ: 42.90

NAQ: 32.40

Rejected OOP.

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm not in-province, but UBC has a pretty unforgiving review system. Applying to US schools has really given me a better sense of what a "holistic" application review actually means.

I got 50/50 for NAQ!!! hahaha holy crap holy crap. Please someone help me figure this out because I am going a little insane.

Wow Congrats! Take a look at Prateek's graph on page 31 of this thread, it gives you the GPA to AQ mapping. Based on that, you can figure out what your GPA should be equal to.

If I may ask, what are your non-academic activities like?

IP, regrets. 2nd application, got an interview last year but was just above the TFR cut-off, so was trying to be prepared for the worst.

Adjusted GPA = 81.75

AQ Score = 22.5

NAQ Score = 27

TFR = 49

Decided not to apply to Irish schools this year because of the cost, but am thinking now that perhaps I should have...

Yes my gpa is around 76 because of some bad prereqs taken a very long time ago. My best 27 credits last year were at 87% though and I am an aboriginal applicant. The dean said loud and clear at interviews last year that he planned to interview every applicant with 70% and over ogpa. Guess he changed his mind! Yes it is true I got 50/50 on NAQ. This is up from 23/25 from last year. I have been a behavioural therapist, have volunteered a long time at the hospital, been the president of a few clubs and organized lectuee series and conferences. I have been at this a long time, do not worry. I am just totally flabbergastes at this result. Holy crap.

Yes my gpa is around 76 because of some bad prereqs taken a very long time ago. My best 27 credits last year were at 87% though and I am an aboriginal applicant. The dean said loud and clear at interviews last year that he planned to interview every applicant with 70% and over ogpa. Guess he changed his mind! Yes it is true I got 50/50 on NAQ. This is up from 23/25 from last year. I have been a behavioural therapist, have volunteered a long time at the hospital, been the president of a few clubs and organized lectuee series and conferences. I have been at this a long time, do not worry. I am just totally flabbergastes at this result. Holy crap.

This is an exact proof of UBC playing around with applicants. Why the heck set the minimum to 75%? The minimum should be clearly set at 80% and even then your chances of getting an interview are very slim. It just gives the notion of false hope to applicants in the range 75-79.99

Archived