Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

NAQ is like that. It fluctuates quite abit for no good reasons. I think she should reapply given that she's so close and you never know what she'll get next year for her NAQ.

Its just really sad for her.

I'm in med school, her other cousins are in med school etc.

It sucks being in a family of future docs and not quite making it.

Its a really draining process and I don't think she thinks its worth it anymore :(

I have encouraged her to apply again next year, but we'll see. It seems like the stats just keeping going higher and higher each year.

It was much easier 3 years ago (when I applied).

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
current grad student,

IP

(rough numbers, rounded up or down slightly for anonymity):

TFR = 57

AGPA between 80.5 and 83

NAQ ~ 35

One time, OMSAS

GL everybody

A warning not to use these posted stats in the graph. I'm not too comfortable divulging exact stats for privacy concerns so use at your own risk.

IP - Rejected

First time applicant.

aGPA - 79.3

NAQ - 28.9

AQ - 14.42

Ouch. Thought my NAQ would be better.

11 years basketball coach (2000 hours or more)

High School Teacher

National Level Athlete (3rd place at Nats)

First Aid Volunteer

B.A., B.Ed., 3rd year B.Sc.

Seems it will be nearly impossible to overcome mediocre grades from my first degree. While I'm all for being persistent, I can see the Caribbean sun rising.... Can anyone tell me what sort of NAQ activities I should be pursuing before the next cycle and what sort of jump in NAQ is realistic?

Good luck to all those who are getting interviews, I'm sure that you deserve it.

Dr. Walker (the director if admissions at the UofC) stated in his podcast that one of the recent studies has shown that the average income of families that the admitted students come from...is about $160K (or something close to that). If my mommy and daddy were making that kind of dough I would be travelling the world like there is no tomorrow, playing hockey, building shelters in Jamaica during summer instead of working ... and getting 45/50 on my NAQ.

I respect the fact that the UofC at least acknowledged this and stated that they are changing their evaluation system to select applicants based on merit, rather than financial privileges.

My heart goes out to all of you guys that work so hard and maintain good grades at the same time. I wish it was a level playing field for all of us. But I strongly feel that UBC is one of those "elitist" schools.

Yeah.

My sister worked at our family business every summer because she was needed.

She couldn't exactly go do fancy volunteer activities or travel the world to build up her NAQ.

It sucks, because I don't think UBC really takes work experience seriously.

IMO, having a good work ethic is a lot more important than other things UBC bases its admissions on.

Its just really sad for her.

I'm in med school, her other cousins are in med school etc.

It sucks being in a family of future docs and not quite making it.

Its a really draining process and I don't think she thinks its worth it anymore :(

I have encouraged her to apply again next year, but we'll see. It seems like the stats just keeping going higher and higher each year.

It was much easier 3 years ago (when I applied).

It is quite draining, and if you apply multiple times, you'll become emotionless eventually. Since her gpa isn't an issue, she'll have good chances of acceptance somewhere else. There are many people who got accepted to Ivy med schools but couldn't get in to any Canadian school, so the UBC rejection shouldn't be viewed as a reflection of her abilities.

IP - Rejected

First time applicant.

aGPA - 79.3

NAQ - 28.9

AQ - 14.42

Ouch. Thought my NAQ would be better.

11 years basketball coach (2000 hours or more)

High School Teacher

National Level Athlete (3rd place at Nats)

First Aid Volunteer

B.A., B.Ed., 3rd year B.Sc.

Seems it will be nearly impossible to overcome mediocre grades from my first degree. While I'm all for being persistent, I can see the Caribbean sun rising.... Can anyone tell me what sort of NAQ activities I should be pursuing before the next cycle and what sort of jump in NAQ is realistic?

Good luck to all those who are getting interviews, I'm sure that you deserve it.

You definitely have diversity in your activities, but at least from the ones you've listed here...you may be lacking in community service/capacity to work with others? That'd be my guess

Perhaps join some local community organizations, a local interest group. Maybe check out some clubs/groups on campus that you'd be interested in

Yeah.

My sister worked at our family business every summer because she was needed.

She couldn't exactly go do fancy volunteer activities or travel the world to build up her NAQ.

It sucks, because I don't think UBC really takes work experience seriously.

IMO, having a good work ethic is a lot more important than other things UBC bases its admissions on.

Did your sister spell this out in the additional comments section of the application? It seems to me to be just the thing to write in that space. Because the space is there, I assume that it is taken into consideration by the adcom.

I agree with what you say regarding work ethic. I'm curious about whether what you said in your post was communicated to the adcom in your sister's application. If it was, then UBC really is a bunch of elitist, classist SOBs. If not, then perhaps there is hope that UBC is better than that and also hope that your sister may do better next year if this is spelled out in the app.

Did your sister spell this out in the additional comments section of the application? It seems to me to be just the thing to write in that space. Because the space is there, I assume that it is taken into consideration by the adcom.

I agree with what you say regarding work ethic. I'm curious about whether what you said in your post was communicated to the adcom in your sister's application. If it was, then UBC really is a bunch of elitist, classist SOBs. If not, then perhaps there is hope that UBC is better than that and also hope that your sister may do better next year if this is spelled out in the app.

No, she didn't mention it.

We thought it was only to explain academic hardship etc.

And her stats are not that bad (around 85% average)/

If she applies again next year I will tell her to mention it. But for now, I think if I were to tell her that may have given her the 0.19 she needed for an interview, she would go absolutely mad!

The additional comments section is mainly reserved for people to explain academic struggles due to exceptional circumstances (i.e. family death, hospitalizations/illnesses, etc). If UBC views volunteering and work experience equally, this shouldn't happen.

The additional information section is described as "If exceptional circumstances have affected your education and/or non-academic activities, you may provide a short explanation here."

The Help Guide does not add anything else.

The first point is that the section is not simply to explain "academic" struggles as you suggest. The exceptional circumstances can also apply to NAQs as is stated in the application itself.

The second point is that the word "exceptional" is vague and could mean many things. Death and health problems are not the only types of circumstances allowed. If they were, this would have been stipulated. Having to work to help the family finances is, I would say, exceptional especially when viewed against the privileged economic status from which most admitted applicants come. It certainly affects one's ability to undertake non academic activities.

In any event, I think it should be stated and if the ADCOM thinks its not relevant, so be it. If they think it is relevant (and they should) it is to your advantage.

ADCOM probably will take into account the circumstances that UBC Student described because Dr. Finkler has publically stated that they wish to admit lower imcome applicants and those who had to work rather than build orphanages in africa. But for ADCOM to take this into account, I feel that it must be spelled out. It is not enough to expect ADCOM to make this conclusion by inference from a person's listed work experience.

No, she didn't mention it.

We thought it was only to explain academic hardship etc.

And her stats are not that bad (around 85% average)/

If she applies again next year I will tell her to mention it. But for now, I think if I were to tell her that may have given her the 0.19 she needed for an interview, she would go absolutely mad!

Its not only to explain academic hardship but also to expain non academic activities. See my post above.

Not many more people posting their stats, so this is what I have so far from the data:

fxw3k2.jpg

In general, a 1% increase in your average seems to correspond to a 3.33 increase in the AQ score. The data is only good for the range of about 79-88 right now.

88 = 43.32

87 = 39.98

86 = 36.65

85 = 33.31

84 = 29.98

83 = 26.64

82 = 23.31

81 = 19.97

80 = 16.64

Will keep updating if more stats come in. It may not help us much more this year, but may help next year to get an idea!

By the looks of it, UBC had given a lot of false hope to those in the 75.99-79.99 category by stating they'd receive full file reviews. While this is great and all, the fact their AQ can't be much higher than 13 means they have to have near perfect NAQ. Further, it appears those with near 75% ogpa might as well call it quits because even a perfect NAQ wouldn't provide a TFR needed to get an interview. UBC and their games

First time posting after lurking for so long. Good try everyone, and good luck to those still waiting! Don't give up :)

IP

aGPA: 82.06

AQ: 23.55

Does anyone have any idea what the cut-off for the interview is??

The cut off for IP applicants is a total file review score of 60.49. It is stated in the interim stats package that came out yesterday.

By the looks of it, UBC had given a lot of false hope to those in the 75.99-79.99 category by stating they'd receive full file reviews. While this is great and all, the fact their AQ can't be much higher than 13 means they have to have near perfect NAQ. Further, it appears those with near 75% ogpa might as well call it quits because even a perfect NAQ wouldn't provide a TFR needed to get an interview. UBC and their games

I'm a bit tired of people denigrating the UBC Medicine application system. If I were in the 75.99-79.99 category, I would rather be put through their "games" and hope for the best instead of being rejected without a full file review.

UBC admissions is trying their best here, people. I don't believe that they are spending time and energy looking through applications with lower GPA to give "a lot of false hope". This statement is incredulous.

Archived