Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is an exact proof of UBC playing around with applicants. Why the heck set the minimum to 75%? The minimum should be clearly set at 80% and even then your chances of getting an interview are very slim. It just gives the notion of false hope to applicants in the range 75-79.99

I think it's a good thing they have the minimum at 75%. Would you rather have a small chance, or no chance at all? At least they're giving a chance to people who may not have done so well in their undergrads and who still really want to be doctors. I mean, yeah it sucks for them to spend so much time and effort to do it, then be rejected anyways. But, if it were me, I would still want that chance.

I dont see how its the 'best' way to be fair to people who maintained low 80 averages even when they couldnt give enough time to studies because they had some family responsibilities, had to keep jobs to support their household income, take care of sick parents and younger siblings by making an AQ scale which rules them out of the competition. With this pure numbers game system how can people from low income households get an interview unless their born geniuses or find someway not to sleep at all.

Well, all I have to say is that studying medicine takes significantly more time than undergraduate studies. So if people don't even have enough time to study during undergraduate due to "family responsibilities, had to keep jobs to support their household income, take care of sick parents and younger siblings", I don't see how they can possibly manage with the increased workload in medicine.

Sorry to say this, but your reply just sounds like an excuse for bad grades to me...

I think it's a good thing they have the minimum at 75%. Would you rather have a small chance, or no chance at all? At least they're giving a chance to people who may not have done so well in their undergrads and who still really want to be doctors. I mean, yeah it sucks for them to spend so much time and effort to do it, then be rejected anyways. But, if it were me, I would still want that chance.

Agreed completely. Why is everyone complaining about the notion of false hope? Do you not realize that UBC is giving them a chance?

Don't complain, just study harder!

what chance are you talking about? You saw it yourself - even if you get full score on the NAQ (50/50)!, you still can't make it so why let applicants apply in the first place? I don't get it. There is no chance at all for those in the mid 70s range.

I've already addressed this. You can't set a higher cut-off before knowing the strength of the applicant pool and long-term trends. I know classmates who got in with mid to high 70s. It may not be the case this year, but you can't say that UBC is just playing games with its applicants. I understand how frustrating it can be to not get an interview, but all this bitterness towards UBC isn't going to do anything except make you angrier.

what chance are you talking about? You saw it yourself - even if you get full score on the NAQ (50/50)!, you still can't make it so why let applicants apply in the first place? I don't get it. There is no chance at all for those in the mid 70s range.

I see your point. On the other hand, I don't think they could have possibly predicted that beforehand. They changed a lot of stuff around this year, including the GPA conversions and the /50 thing. So, maybe they will up the minimum next year, or change something else to keep it the same. I still feel like keeping it as low as they can is a good thing though... I'm sure a lot of people appreciate the opportunity.

Sorry to everyone that received regrets today...it is devastating...i know from experience....keep trying if this is what you want...

If i recall correctly, last year, the oops and ips were rejected on separate days. this year it seems to be all done today.

monday - dq

tues oops

wed ips

thurs peace

fri invites

I am hoping that there aren't more regrets tomorrow!!!

Well, all I have to say is that studying medicine takes significantly more time than undergraduate studies. So if people don't even have enough time to study during undergraduate due to "family responsibilities, had to keep jobs to support their household income, take care of sick parents and younger siblings", I don't see how they can possibly manage with the increased workload in medicine.

Sorry to say this, but your reply just sounds like an excuse for bad grades to me...

Hm...I do not think it is an excuse for low grades. Life is not fair. The wealthy will always be ahead. It is however true that students who are not able to keep up with their undergraduate studies due to family issues, etc. may not be able to do well in medical school either..

This is not UBC's fault though. I do not think that someone with a 90% GPA will become a better physician than someone with an 80% GPA but applicants are stronger than ever completing for a limited amount of seats. If it was you, how would you seperate all of us? Many of the applicants are very similar in their extracurricular activities.

IP Regrets

Ogpa: 83.01

AQ: 26.7

NAQ: 28.9

TFR: 55.6

I wasn't eligible for the AGPA because I had 89 credits after the worst year was removed. Also, I took the final for my last class on Aug 10th, and my transcript was updated on the 19th, but UBC wouldn't count the credits to make me eligible for the AGPA, which although angers me, is understandable. Who knows if my adjust average of ~84.4 would have pushed me over the bump.

I have one thing to say about the selection process that troubles me. I can't believe how much the AQ score fluctuates according to such minor changes in gpa. The stats they release said an average of 84.59 yields an AQ of 31.31. That means a GPA difference of 1.6 means an AQ difference of 4.6, at least according to my scores.

IMO, more emphasis should be be put on the NAQ activities. I don't see a huge difference in the academic abilities of a student with an 84% average compared to one with 85%, but the way we are scored seems as though this difference is monumental. Looking at what people have gotten for their NAQ scores, there is a much smaller discrepancy between scores. It just makes me wonder if people who have been working hard to improve their NAQ scores are being properly rewarded for their efforts.

Any thoughts?

This is not UBC's fault though. I do not think that someone with a 90% GPA will become a better physician than someone with an 80% GPA but applicants are stronger than ever completing for a limited amount of seats. If it was you, how would you seperate all of us? Many of the applicants are very similar in their extracurricular activities.

i know......straight up IQ test

aqvsgpa.jpg

So the formula so far is

AQ= 3.3341*(GPA%) - 250.08

I used the adjusted GPA when both GPA were recorded. Two cases the GPAs were rounded I did not use those.

Below is the raw data:

Grade AQ

88.26 44.19

88.3 44.33

79.65 15.51

82 23.03

79.98 16.45

86.41 38.02

85.13 33.75

87.53 41.77

83.63 28.75

79.16 13.88

81.21 20.69

79.37 14.55

88.63 45.43

78.45 11.51

85.09 33.63

79.3 14.42

80.87 19.57

82.06 23.55

78.08 10.27

87.87 42.9

84.83 32.78

81.75 22.5

85.91 36.35

83.01 26.7

I agree 100%. Welcome to ubc med, home for the wealthy and or privileged and or never been through hardship. Great job, Finkler.

I'm sorry but this is just such poor judgement and a completely unfair statement to make. I know a few people in my class who have overcome extreme hardship and have still managed to maintain A averages. In fact, that statement essentially spits on not only my classmates but all the years above me. EVERYONE has their crap to deal with and life is NOT fair. The degree of resiliency found in those who can maintain high marks while going through extremely difficult times is what separates some applicants apart from others. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but the truth is that you are just not as competitive of an applicant that you think you are... stop placing the blame on others.

I agree 100%. Welcome to ubc med, home for the wealthy and or privileged and or never been through hardship. Great job, Finkler.
I just lost an incredible amount of respect for you. I'm not going to go into my parents' or my own hardships, but realise that such a comment will not go well with those who were accepted or granted interviews.

Archived